Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fuchsntf

Caglar Soyuncu

2 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Soyuncu literally kicked another player in the final few games of the season 2 years ago which had a direct impact on us utterly collapsing and missing top 4.

If a player needs to be told not to kick another player and get sent off, they're not good enough.

When he keeps his head, he's a fine player, but he's too often too rash. We don't need that in our defence right now. He's seemed completely off it since Euro 2020.

I agree... surely this should have been corrected

3 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

One of my Rodgers gripes is that he doesn't fix players he abandons them. I bet top and susan love that.

Got Maddison (in particular) and Barnes back from the brink.

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Does everyone have short term memory loss? Or do we forget that it was Cags who lost it in multiple pressure situations and got a red card during our collapse out of the top 4. He’s not the player he was for one season. He lost a step and his mental game is gone. Once feared by others, premier league teams found him out and now he’s a liability. 

I do miss that season of Cags, what a player he was.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beechey said:

Got Maddison and Barnes back from the brink.

Maddison could be a better player with some upper body strength.

Barnes needs to mix it up more: to byeline,  cut in, cross,  pass, shoot...

Neither is making this progress.

• Like 1

The fact that Amartey started ahead of him against Brentford says all we need to know right now. Brendan has clearly lost faith in him and won't play him unless absolutely necessary. Another who will probably just run his contract down and leave for free. There seem to be no interested clubs for him right now.

Just now, foxinsocks said:

One of my Rodgers gripes is that he doesn't fix players he abandons them. I bet top and susan love that.

I think you overestimate the ease with which senior players who have been playing football all their lives can be "fixed" unfortunately. Of course coaching can and should help players improve but that's through fine-tuning their existing skills and setting the team up to get the best out of their collective abilities (and of course you could certainly argue Rodgers is not doing the latter at present) rather than transforming them.

A new manager is not, for instance, going to come in and make Soyuncu a calm and cool-headed defender upon whom we can always rely, Tielemans an all-round athlete with pace to burn, Ndidi a top-class technician, Daka a forward who thrives when dropping deep and linking the play, Praet a goalscoring midfielder, and so on, just as nobody's going to rectify Adama Traore's horrific end product or David de Gea being crap with his feet. If it were a simple matter of identifying and "correcting" these huge underlying flaws, whether technical, physical or mental, every player at the top level would have none.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Guest said:

I think you overestimate the ease with which senior players who have been playing football all their lives can be "fixed" unfortunately. Of course coaching can and should help players improve but that's through fine-tuning their existing skills and setting the team up to get the best out of their collective abilities (and of course you could certainly argue Rodgers is not doing the latter at present) rather than transforming them.

A new manager is not, for instance, going to come in and make Soyuncu a calm and cool-headed defender upon whom we can always rely, Tielemans an all-round athlete with pace to burn, Ndidi a top-class technician, Daka a forward who thrives when dropping deep and linking the play, Praet a goalscoring midfielder, and so on, just as nobody's going to rectify Adama Traore's horrific end product or David de Gea being crap with his feet. If it were a simple matter of identifying and "correcting" these huge underlying flaws, whether technical, physical or mental, every player at the top level would have none.

Trying to do so will not make them worse.

24 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Maddison could be a better player with some upper body strength.

Barnes needs to mix it up more: to byeline,  cut in, cross,  pass, shoot...

Neither is making this progress.

So simple, isn't it? :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Guest said:

Agreed, but what a manager can do is put that player in a position he's best suited to, employing tactics that bring the best out of their particular best talents.

This rather than play them out of position in unfamiliar roles whereby they make mistakes, can't fulfill what they're being asked to do thereby increasing their chances of error, loss of confidence and fans getting on their backs. For me, Rodgers is responsible for the latter and it really isn't necessary. 

Just now, Trav Le Bleu said:

not sure some people understand the implications of training on different parts of the body.

more upper body strength ultimately comes at a price of less mobility, etc. etc.

saying 'just build upper body' like it's a quick process as well - it takes extensive strength training, increase in food intake, etc. some people are not naturally equipped to put on size and muscle quickly, have smaller frames, etc.

for a player to have one quality they require x things, for them to have another quality it requires y things and some of those will affect x things. 

unfortunately not every player can be a perfect all-rounder - there's multiple components of fitness and some come at a cost of others. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

No (youre jesting i know).. it takes time and determinstion on a one to one basis ( read "Peak: Secrets from the New Science of Expertise" by anders ericssen.... this makes you rethink what is possible)

We seem to be trying to force him out by not playing him, thus losing appearance bonuses and not showcasing his talents to who ever is watching him for when his contract runs out.

but then three weeks ago Caglar was interviewed and he made these comments -

"I'm a Leicester player," he told the Times. "I'm very lucky to have been given a fantastic chance by Leicester. The season is starting and as long as I'm one of the players here, I'll give 100 percent and do the best I can do.

"My priority is Leicester because I cannot forget the importance of the club and what coming here has done for my career. I developed as a player here. Leicester is like a family to me. That's what the club represents to me - a huge family - and huge ambition."

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-transfer-news-soyuncu-7371627

So something isn't adding up here. Sotuncu underperformed towards the end of last season, for some reason he won't extend his contract here, despite being on lower wages. When he's confident he's a quality footballer, it's a shame given their short careers that such a talent will likely be sat on the sidelines for the whole year unless either he moves on or issues are resolved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

So what has Soyuncu done that's so wrong that he can't get into the team. I'm just baffled at what's going on.

Maybe someone knows more or can explain.

Rodgers is freezing him out to try and get him to leave I presume. He should be starting ahead of Amartey.

• Like 1

It is very surprising there's been no publicly reported bids for him, so let's say there hasn't been any. Very very odd, this is a player whos still only 26, been in the team of the season twice in a top 5 European league, on quite a modest wage, one of the quickest centre halves out there, good on the ball and hugely experienced and yet nothing. Of Vestergaard can have teams coming in for him for £11m + then how on earth is Cags sat there with fcuk all?

• Like 2

On 08/08/2022 at 14:36, LCFC_Iceland said:

Does everyone have short term memory loss? Or do we forget that it was Cags who lost it in multiple pressure situations and got a red card during our collapse out of the top 4. He’s not the player he was for one season. He lost a step and his mental game is gone. Once feared by others, premier league teams found him out and now he’s a liability. 

I do miss that season of Cags, what a player he was.

I think the fact that Amartey can’t play football just gives Cags that edge.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hales said:

I hate the freezing out of players that Brendan does.  Blooming play Cags! It's ridiculous. No bids for him so utilise him!

Freezing out players is pretty much old school but the big clubs can do it but we can't afford too.

I'm not in favor of the Board interferring with Managers but when things are clearly not right somewhere then a clearing of the air is called for.

Someone needs to have a word with Brendan and tell him to sort things out or consider his position.

We're not big enough as a Club to be able to freeze out players for long periods.

Edited by Clever Fox
word left out
  • Like 3

Just now, Clever Fox said:

Freezing out players is pretty much old school but the big clubs can do it but can't afford too.

I'm not in favor of the Board interferring with Managers but when things are clearly not right somewhere then a clearing of the air is called for.

Someone needs to have a word with Brendan and tell him to sort things out or consider his position.

We're not big enough as a Club to be able to freeze out players for long periods.

Agreed. I just don't like the way he has treated several of the players. Its really actually quite rude and disrespectful - Kel, Dennis and now Cags.  I bet they can't wait for him to leave! Cags clearly lost form and confidence so he dumps him. All that Kel has done and again just dumps him.  Dennis has the patience of a Saint! Hopefully he will get his chance now. Any excuse to freeze them out and throw them under the bus. I thought he was supposed to be a brilliant man manager.......... 🤔🙄

I thought he was pretty poor (for his standards) last year. However, he was also asked to play a lot of season next to Amartey or Vestegaard. It’s unfair not to give him a fresh start. Once Brendan develops a grudge, it’s very hard to shake off. Just ask Kel, Praet and Cags.

• Like 3