Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Wolves Post Match 0-0

6 hours ago, LCFCSOULBOY said:

Can anyone explain to me how come Maddison's efforts are so bad from the field. He is our set piece expert but cannot hit a barn door from just outside the box. His attempts today we're atrocious. Mind you the whole couldn't hit anything?

Yeh, he seems to do about 48 embarrassingly bad free kicks and then redeems himself by scoring a worldie. 

I'd sacrifice his 2 worldie's a season for someone who can kick a ball consistently thus leading to more goals... Hopefully... 

• Like 1

Thought Soyuncu & Evans were superb. 

Maddison was wasteful throughout and the formation didn’t work today. 

I’d like to see 4-3-3 next week. 

Kasper

Ricardo

Evans

Soyncu

Chilwell

Ndidi

Youri

Maddison

Albrighton

Vardy

Perez

• Like 1

For me it was the formation and set up rather than personnel. Big fan of Rodgers but he called it wrong. Was very impressed with Madders increased aggression at times in winning back ball, Youri is clearly hugely talented and in a more suitable formation these 2 will flourish. Vards needs far better support, lack of quality on the wing may come to hurt us as season progresses. All in all a reasonable start but cant help feeling it was very Puel-esque ultimately. 

First game of the season, and by no means indicative of where we'll be going for the rest of the campaign.

Passing and cohesion were very good, much more attacking intent and much more options in midfield.

Still, the second half in particular reminded me of the Puel era, lots of possession, but nothing to come out of it. Vardy isolated up front, hardly any service, midfielders huffing and puffing against a Wolverhampton side that defended neatly, hardly any space to get through.

We came out of the tunnel in the second half somewhat half-asleep, lethargic. Wolves wanted it more, played more direct football, more aggressive, simpler. VAR saved the day, you could say.

Our full-backs, Chilwell in particular, should've moved forward more often, stretching the game to either side, allowing the centre midfielders to gain more space in the middle.

Corner kick conversion rate was laughable, still nothing's changed there in about three years or so. Either the crosses aren't precise enough (hello, Maddison) or we simply don't have enough tall personnel up front to be of any danger. A tall CDM would be fantastic to complement our centre-backs for such occasions. Ndidi isn't know for his heading...

I think there are certain aspects of our game that look promising, keeping the ball on the ground, passing around nicely, less backwards and sidewards passing, more attacking intent.

But we have to somehow overcome this complicated business where it takes out a plethora of passes to get anywhere near the opposing box. Our full-backs need to be more proactive and assist in creating chances, and Vardy needs to become more involved again.

Need to iron out a few more details and we should see us scoring sooner than later.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Tielemans was hurt the most by the negative setup. Wolves sagged off the CBs and holding mids and smothered Tielemans.

I have no issues with Nuno setting up defensively - for them it made sense. They’re coming off a European match, tired, and on the road - a draw is a good result for them. Plus they’re dangerous enough on the counter that they always have a chance to steal a goal, and in fact with decent finishing should have had at least one or two.

Think you're being very kind to Tielemans there.

He dawdled on the ball several times when we had a promising counter-attack and wasted the opportunity rather than driving forward, allowing Wolves' defence to get back.

You can't really blame Tielemans poor game on Wolves smothering him. He just wasn't spotting the passes and was slowing the game down too much.

We know how good he is, but he was just poor yesterday, regardless of Wolves' tactics.

13 hours ago, m4DD0gg said:

Very boring match today and reminded me of the first half of last season.

My first thoughts as the 2nd half wore on are does Brendan actually have a plan B?

Wolves came with a game plan and he didnt change anything to break them down. We wont get top 10 let alone top 6 playing like that. The pointless side ways triangles are a waste of time and so boring and frustrating to watch.

Our set pieces are atrocious, maddison either smashes it across the box as hard as he can or its a limp effort.

A decent team would have smashed us on the break, the high line Evans and Soyuncu (who did bloody well and it was great seeing him getting applauded) were playing was like russian roulette.

Perez looked nervous and i failed to see what if anything he achieved today......time will tell.

Vardy completely isolated leaving us completely toothless up front.

.. he always looks like that!! 

Give me the impression that he doesn't want to be here or not sure what he is doing. 

We need to get him away from the wing as he does not function in that space. Incredibly light weight. 

4 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

The problem wasn't the lack of height, it's that the corners were almost all crappy.

Also, Soyuncu had a far-post knockdown on one of them that could easily have resulted in a goal.

I'd like to see us using short corners more.

Not the clueless ones that end up back in the centre circle or even with the goalie (fer Chrissakes!)  But the wall-pass and cross from a different angle, which can catch the defence out.

Works for me on Fifa anyway...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LCFCSOULBOY said:

Can anyone explain to me how come Maddison's efforts are so bad from the field. He is our set piece expert but cannot hit a barn door from just outside the box. His attempts today we're atrocious. Mind you the whole couldn't hit anything?

... have you noticed Youri in pre-season!! 

Just as ineffective... you just wonder what they do in training. Our dead ball skills are nowhere near where they should be,  no variety or creative ideas. With the skill set we have it is very disappointing. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

I'd like to see us using short corners more.

Not the clueless ones that end up back in the centre circle or even with the goalie (fer Chrissakes!)  But the wall-pass and cross from a different angle, which can catch the defence out.

Works for me on Fifa anyway...

I was with you all the way...Then you blew it, with your Fifa Reference......:unsure:

Guest MattP

Surprised at how negative we were formation wise, not a bad result though and the performance of Soyuncu a huge plus.

We really are lacking a quality winger though.

Shout out to the extremely special fan behind me who spent the whole first half shouting at "Danny Simpson" before someone kindly informed him it was Ayoze Perez.

11 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

... have you noticed Youri in pre-season!! 

Just as ineffective... you just wonder what they do in training. Our dead ball skills are nowhere near where they should be,  no variety or creative ideas. With the skill set we have it is very disappointing. 

5 years of Dead ball/set piece coaching...failures!!

• Like 1

Unimpressive tactics, possession counts for fcuk all squared. It was as though Puel had been bought in as a tactical consultant. Chilwell's mind seemed to be elsewhere, anything to do with Lampard rumour that he's in for Chilwell after their ban lifted? Massive step up when Barnes came on, we need a good option on the wing and he fits the bill.

Three things I took from the game yesterday.

Ndidi looked good. Could be a big season for him.

We were much better with Barnes. Albrighton wide and Madison as a number 10. 

Pleased for Soyncu. Hope he takes a lot of confidence from that game.

• Like 1