Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Wolves Post Match 0-0

It will be interesting to see how we play once Wilf has rested up. Playing him alone today would’ve been reckless. We definitely have options to play a few different ways, which is pleasing. 

Thought Cags did well. Barnes look good too coming off the bench and Youri is going to be bloody amazing.

Decent point, though, as always, I would’ve loved a win. I fancy us against Chelsea next week.

47 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

It's important not to over-react, obviously. It's a long season and Wolves are a good side. A point is no disaster. On top of that there were some important performances - Soyuncu was good. Ndidi and Evans likewise (though I have to say, as much as he's one of my favourites, I'm not sure I agree with all of the praise for Pereira).

However we can't kid ourselves. Today was poor: Very predictable and negative. Little was created. Chilwell, Maddison and Perez were way off the level.

It panned out exactly the way you'd have expected when you saw the line-up - narrow, slow in build-up, totally lacking in positive attacking play. I don't want to slate our attacking threats too much nor praise our defensive players too much because it's no coincidence that virtually all of our attack-minded players struggled in that system, and pretty much all our more defensive players thrived. 

As the home team, having two defensive (holding) players in midfield spoke volumes of our attacking intent or lack of it. We set up like an away team, but obviously Wolves were set up equally defensively. 

First match in. Happy with the point, but to me BR felt the need to protect his central backs at the expense of going for it, until late on. Harvey Barnes injected much need pace and some forward movement. However, as last year, the final cross never found a blue shirt.

The lads worked hard, but in reality, a turgid uninspiring performance, but we didn't lose and hopefully we will up our game for Chelsea. 

14 minutes ago, dayday said:

I remember Rodgers post match comments after the Newcastle game last season, where he said next season they won’t beat us.

Well the worrying thing for me Wolves set up pretty similar to Newcastle, but yet again we couldn’t break that sort of team down.

I just hope we find a way, as the likes Bournemouth and Southampton etc will come and frustrate, there was a lot of talk pre season about preference for a winger and not a striker, well I’m definitely firmly in the striker camp, a Andy Carroll type player would of made a big difference.

....to the medical bill maybe.

It was crap. Too very well matched teams completely cancelling each other out, Wolves very solid defensively. That our option to change it was Albrighton replacing the Spanish Albrighton worries me. The lack of impactful wide options will cost us exactly has that Ndidi-Mendy pairing did last year. 

Choudhury and Ndidi in the same team against most teams at home is wrong also. 

Obviously way too early to judge, its one game but if our complete impotence anywhere near the final third is repeated often then it will be 9th/10th again rather than anywhere near the top 6 or 7th.

17 minutes ago, dayday said:

I remember Rodgers post match comments after the Newcastle game last season, where he said next season they won’t beat us.

Well the worrying thing for me Wolves set up pretty similar to Newcastle, but yet again we couldn’t break that sort of team down.

I just hope we find a way, as the likes Bournemouth and Southampton etc will come and frustrate, there was a lot of talk pre season about preference for a winger and not a striker, well I’m definitely firmly in the striker camp, a Andy Carroll type player would of made a big difference.

Slimani then? 

First game of the season its possible some nerves at play, over excited etc.

We dominated possession like spurs do but just couldn't hit the net. 

Wolves showed to be a bit tired (if you ask me) so ideally we should have won that game . With the VAR decision all said and done a draw is fair esepcially against a side just as good as us.

Some of you need to have a wank, that will make things better lol.

Lets go to chelsea and get a draw/win!

Edited by Jattdogg
  • Like 1

I'm trying to understand something, having not watched the match. Are people calling our play Puel-esque because they feel there is still a hangover from his time with us, or because the players haven't got it in them to deal with a defensive set up, regardless of the manager? 

No problem with it, I just worry that subliminally, it's easy to make him the bogeyman in absentia by recalling his name. I hope the real problem was in the line up and the shape. 

It was clear from how we were set up in the first instance that there was an intention of not losing the game rather than focussing on winning it.  And so it proved to be.

The VAR incident was managed well.  The bloke had no control going in for that ball, didn't have a clue where it was.  Correct decision.

We were too easy to play against set up like that.  Shame.  I was expecting a more industrious approach but Chilwell's performance summed it up for me.  Half baked.

Edited by Legend_in_blue

7 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'm trying to understand something, having not watched the match. Are people calling our play Puel-esque because they feel there is still a hangover from his time with us, or because the players haven't got it in them to deal with a defensive set up, regardless of the manager? 

No problem with it, I just worry that subliminally, it's easy to make him the bogeyman in absentia by recalling his name. I hope the real problem was in the line up and the shape. 

It was the shape for me. We were far too narrow. No support for Ricardo or Chilwell, meaning they had to keep turning back on themselves.

Midfield clustered because Maddison and Perez kept drifting narrow into an area where 5-6 players already resided.

As soon as Barnes came on and offered a wide option, we created chances. Not really the same for Albrighton, but he's just not anywhere near as dynamic.

Against a back 5, you'd think we'd be looking to spread their backline as much as possible, instead we played so narrow it could just sit nice and compact.

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 2

I would have taken a draw before the match but  our lack of penetration and chances on goal is frustrating.

Teams coming to the King power will see how to nullify our play so we have to deal with it.

Braking  into the top 6 suddenly feels like a step to far.

...having said all that there are another 37 games left so fingers remain crossed.

Game was poor but we know Madders, Youri and Perez can do better. We got a point and kept a clean sheet. Hindsight is such a gift maybe Hamza and Wilf were too negative a set up to start with but Wilf has not been around pre season and Caglar was stepping up. Wolves were well set up and maybe just a bit match sharper. 

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Mainly being overly defensive, using both Ndidi and Choudhury and leaving Tielemans as the only one trying to provide some creativity. Much as Maddison did under Puel, as he himself, was out on the left and not being someone to interchange in the middle with Youri.

Wolves were defending hard with about 5 in defence permanently and we didn't have enough attacking pressure or outlets so Vardy and Perez were practically marked out too. 

It was only after Brendan got subbed off Hamza for Barnes did we seem to have more attacking intent, because we then were with an attacker rather than a defensive midfielder. Which has made some of us relate it to Puel ball as the possession we had hadn't turned into anything much. Lots off ball but still lacking in attacking edge. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sdb said:

Just seen the VAR decision. I'd be raging if that were us. Christ knows how many goals will be disallowed this season for the most minor infringements.

its a rule change really... even if considered unintentional,  if there is contact that influences the play it’s classed as a ‘foul’.

Edited by MPH

With 5 in defence for Wolves, we didn't match up 5 attackers against them quick enough.

With us playing 6 defensive minded players leaving 4 offensive minded, we were just overburdened creatively and couldn't create the overload for our fullbacks to rampage forward and suppliment the attack. It's not that we can't do both Ndidi and Choudhury for some reason, but this game didn't need them both. Albrighton should have started to allow the attacking and running options for the throughballs along with Perez and Vardy, that both Tielemans and Maddison could have both provided in the middle and to push up and join attacks, with Ndidi shielding the balls as Wolves attempted counters. 

This Side will be sono  ticking..we will find our right tact....For one and 1st game,too much negativity....& Silly critic of BRs selection..!!

The Unit Worked well....und thats the First priority...

Edited by fuchsntf

A point gained and somewhat earned - not worth looking at it as 2 points lost.

Wolves weren’t impressive and we looked awfully sluggish at the KP for an opener, though. On to Chelsea, who aside from Abraham and Emerson looked absolutely horrid today.