Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Wolves Post Match 0-0

I expected a draw today, I just didn't expect such a boring game lol 

I can understand why Rodgers went with that formation, playing two defensive midfielders in Ndidi and Choudhury wasn't the problem for me, Rodgers bringing Ndidi straight back in was an excellent decision tbh, for the majority of the game he was excellent.

The problem today was our attack, especially from wide areas, we played with zero width, the left side of Chilwell and Maddison especially were garbage, Chilwell was making no forward runs and Maddison kept drifting inside. The right side wasn't as bad because Ricardo makes those forward runs, the left side was the absolute opposite.

I can see Rodgers playing that formation again in certain games this season, what we need though is more width, if that means sacrificing Maddison and playing Barnes or Albrighton instead then so be it.

The only positive today for me was the clean sheet, Evans and Soyuncu were excellent. We did get a bit lucky though at times, our defensive line was far too high on a number of occasions, Wolves played many balls over the top of us, luckily for us Soyuncu and Evans had the pace to get back.

A very drab start, Soyuncu, Evans and Ndidi were the positives.

Our attacking play was a big negative, play that formation again then we must start with Albrighton or Barnes instead, maybe even both.

Edited by kingfox

42 minutes ago, LCFCSOULBOY said:

Vardy had no service and was beaten for pace on a few occasions. I have been saying this for 3 seasons now, we have no plan B.

For the benefit of those not at the Brendan Rogers Q&A towards the end of last season, he was asked about having a plan B. His response was that he doesn't believe in them. That is to say he won't drastically change the game plan during a match. He'll tweak the original plan but that's as far as it goes.

Perez and Maddison just are not wingers. 

We needed a proper winger IMO. Perez/Maddison/Tielemans/Praet should either play in a diamond with Perez up front.

We cannot play without Barnes/Gray/Albrighton at home and we didn't need both Choudhury and Ndidi today.

This ‘plan b’ idea is a load of bollocks anyway for me. Most managers set up a squad capable of adapting to certain situations, I know most fans when they say plan b actually mean a target man. You have a style and you stick to it, and you bring in players with different qualities to mix things up. I think we will predominantly see a midfield three this season of Praet, Youri and N’didi. With an interchangeable front three. We can change things if needed, as we can retract a midfielder, and bring on some width with either Albrighton, Gray or Barnes, so to some degree if you want to you could call it a plan B. 

We were never ever going to see a refined performance today, Wolves have played a few more games, and unlike Burnley last season they’re a capable side, they didn’t look like world beaters today but they looked like they had played a few more competitive games than we had. 

The problem with expectations is you get some silly ones, I’m sure had we scored today we would have all been talking about how it was a solid performance and a good start, it’s all fine margins, we’re a decent side and we will take points of those around us as well as ruffle the feathers of a few top teams along the way. 

59 minutes ago, TK95 said:

Playing N'Didi and Hamza was a mistake today. We looked far too midfield heavy without any real killer instinct going forward.

But defensively we looked solid again. Draw is probably a fair result as I don't feel Wolves did enough to warrant a win either. But a point on the board, onwards and updwards! In Brendan we trust :fc:

Think he played them to shield Soyuncu, and he changed it midway through the second half, as Soyuncu was comfortable.

Reasonably happy with a point, thought Wolves set up well to stifle Ricardo and Chilwell....next week will be interesting after Chelsea’s result today

• Like 3

It’s true to say that the match thread on here is typically full of cringeworthy stuff. Most weeks imo.

However, today I think it was probably underpinned by expectation. Most of us feel we can have a great season this term and I guess today’s criticism reflects partly the fact that we had a single shot on goal all game, when many of us thought we’d come out all guns blazing

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gav_LCFC14 said:

It's the corners that really need to be worked on. 12 corners and most just flew straight over.

Agreed. Now Maguire in particular has gone we are a small side at both ends. When we're up against a fairly tall team like today we have surely got to be a bit more inventive than serving up the same old meat and gravy up to opposing defenders from our corners. That's not rocket science. 

My take on today: Very worrying. Had 70 per cent possession and no efforts on goal. Didn't move the ball fast enough, not enough movement up front. Maddison is a number 10 not a winger, he kept coming inside, so when either full back came forward there was no winger or runner in behind. Not convinced about playing two defensive Mids at home either. 

Wilf and Soyuncu were great, Chilwell was fooking useless. 

• Like 1

No need to panic. I thought at times today we played some great stuff, but we lacked that cutting edge. But, that will come. I think when Brendan sits back and reflects on the game later today, he’ll realise that he probably didn’t need to play Hamza and Wilf. We should have started Albrighton or Barnes. 

Weirdly, I think we’re actually better placed to beat Chelsea next weekend! 

39 minutes ago, Drift said:

For the benefit of those not at the Brendan Rogers Q&A towards the end of last season, he was asked about having a plan B. His response was that he doesn't believe in them. That is to say he won't drastically change the game plan during a match. He'll tweak the original plan but that's as far as it goes.

To me that is concerning. Thanks for the heads-up.

I honestly think Brendan was caught out today by how defensive Wolves were. It was at times like watching Burnley. They had everyone back other than Jota and Raul and then lumped it over the top for them to chase. We completely controlled the game from a possession point of view but created naff all. Other than the first 5 mins of the 2nd half where they were all over us, the chances they created came from long knocks over the top for Jota and Raul. Completely different to Wolves of last season. We need to be winning our home games though and teams will come here and be even more defensive than wolves so we need to find ways to do that. Far too narrow today and one of either Barnes or Albrighton needs to be starting. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Agreed. Now Maguire in particular has gone we are a small side at both ends. When we're up against a fairly tall team like today we have surely got to be a bit more inventive than serving up the same old meat and gravy up to opposing defenders from our corners. That's not rocket science. 

It doesn’t help when the first one goes short (is admittedly terrible) and then the crowd get on their back about it.

Given the size of our team we really should be taking virtually every corner short and trying to work an opportunity in a different way. Unfortunately today we looked just as devoid of ideas in the final third as we did under Puel and until that’s sorted out even short corners are a non-starter.

Edited by ttfn

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Said exactly the same thing and just mentioned it in the VAR thread. I have no doubt that they would have come back to that if we had scored.

My issue with that is that we won a corner from the resulting attack. If we had scored from the corner the goal would have stood, even though if we had scored and not won the corner it would have been disallowed 

I don’t think the league has even thought about this aspect. It’s either a foul or it’s not, how can it only be deemed handball if a goal is scored? That’s not how the game works. 

Underwhelming display. If that had been under Puel there would have been boos and a lot of unease in the stands.

First game so better not to lose but we were poor and disjointed for much of the game and saved by VAR and some woeful Wolves finishing.

Chilwell played like he was already on the way to Chelsea. Very poor going forwards and not much better defensiveley.

Maddison had a great number of touches but most were no good and he is wasted wide.

Tielemans, sorry, for 40 million he simply has to offer more.

Vardy, barely involved.

Perez, looked utterly lost most of the time and tried clever flicks which just gave the ball back to Wolves. Didn't look a 30 million player today.

Hamza as usual did ok but offered little in an attacking way.

Thought Ndidi was pretty good considering he has had no pre-season.

Ricardo was one of our best players and just about our only threat going forwards.

Soyuncu and Evans both played very well.

As was often the case last season we simply didn't move the ball quickly enough. If we are going to persist with this so-called diamond we have to pass more quickly and with much much better movement. Wolves are a decent side but neither of us were great today. Top 6 looks miles and miles away if we are honest.

We need to up our levels by 20% at least to get close to top 6. Also if Vardy doesn't score or is nullified we, yet again, appear to have little or no goal threat.

Still it is only the first game but frankly expected a better less disjointed performance.

• Like 3

Alot of people seem to be panicking needlessly after 1 game. Did Brendan get the team selection  wrong? Yes and no. He didnt know wolves would set out to defend and thought they'd have a go hence having the shield of Hamza and Wilf. On another day, we could have been more attacking and started Barnes or Albrighton and then Wolves could have ripped us a new one and people would have been saying we should have started Hamza to help protect the defence. Brendan has been caught out by unusual negative tactics from wolves. Next week will be different as Chelsea will be all out to win after getting thumped today so I can see us having more space in the final 3rd. If Chelsea defend like they did today, we will create chances.