Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Wolves Post Match 0-0

1 hour ago, Ross-Kemp said:

Thought Soyuncu & Evans were superb. 

Maddison was wasteful throughout and the formation didn’t work today. 

I’d like to see 4-3-3 next week. 

Kasper

Ricardo

Evans

Soyuncu

Chilwell

Ndidi

Youri

Maddison

Albrighton

Vardy

Perez

That is my preferred formation and lineup too, but after seeing Chelsea play against Man United, you could make a strong argument that setting up in a counter attacking system in the next game is the way to go. Chelsea tried to play a high press but it meant that any break or long ball gave Man United a great opportunity to score. 

It will be interesting to see if Rodgers tries to out play Chelsea, or to out think them through tactics. Given their current squad and first team, there are arguments either way. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Lost count of how many just floated over everyone. Baffled me why we didn't put some a bit further back.

We did towards the end and then we started going shorter. 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

• Haha 2

Guest Cujek
52 minutes ago, MattP said:

Surprised at how negative we were formation wise, not a bad result though and the performance of Soyuncu a huge plus.

We really are lacking a quality winger though.

Shout out to the extremely special fan behind me who spent the whole first half shouting at "Danny Simpson" before someone kindly informed him it was Ayoze Perez.

To be fair, Simpson would have been just effective at RW as Perez was. 

Before the game I'd have been satisfied with a point, but the nature of the performance has taken the wind out of the sails of my pre-season optimism.

We was all excited about this new, attacking, creative team. During pre-season we were full of energy and Rodgers had talked about scoring goals and going at teams. Yet the first showing of the season was pretty much identical to a lot of the showings from last season, pre-Rodgers.

Playing Ndidi and Choudhury was together was bizarre but has been discussed to death. I was more concerned by the lack of movement on and off the ball. If we want to break teams down we have to pass and move better. I was really surprised by how static we were, when we've had a full pre-season to work on this new style and there was only one new player compared to last season.

Feels like great opportunity missed.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Mark said:

We’ve gone all out on improving the middle of the park instead of improving our wide areas which fair enough we needed Tielemans, but we went for Praet too despite the wings needing attention for a few years, so even when he switches it it’s not as good as it could have been.

It's not wingers we need to improve it's shooting and striking. We have wingers, though BR chose not to play them until later in the match. Crosses are useless if your striker can't get hold of them or use them.

If Demarai or Iheanacho had the game that Vardy had they would have been slated and got a 2 in the match ratings. Vardy isn't good with wingers, he needs balls put through the channels, like Drinks used to do and like Maddison and Tielemans usually do but didn't manage yesterday. 

However our biggest problem yesterday apart from our shooting boots was the fact that Boly completely nullified Ricardo and Perez (who have proven to be our biggest threat in the pre-season).

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. he always looks like that!! 

Give me the impression that he doesn't want to be here or not sure what he is doing. 

We need to get him away from the wing as he does not function in that space. Incredibly light weight. 

One game in. ONE GAME 

6 hours ago, MIAMI_FOX said:

I’m concerned by the lack of height we have in both boxes.

we offer no threat for our corners 

We never really have in recent years let’s be fair. I wouldn’t be too concerned, it’s only a tiny part of the attack, as long as we can defend them.

Using their own standards (IMO) to judge against...

Kasper - 6 as good as ever.

Ricardo - 8 fantastic performance, all our threats were coming down the right

Evans - 7 No complaints, typical solid game 

Soyoncu - 8 stepped up well, lots of pace!

Chillwell - 3 well below his best, out of position and sluggish

Maddison - 4 below par, rusty and poor on corners

Perez - 5 not outstanding, not bad, some good signs

Hamza - 6 did well, but also looked rusty

Wilf - 8 Its so easy to forget just how good and valuable wilf is... superb performance

Youri - 4 just didnt hit his straps

Vardy - 5 under used, Puel style.

Barnes - 7 exciting and ready to take a chance

Brendan - 4. wrong line up, changes should have been earlier.

Game - 4  a little disappointing, Puelesque, need to take some chances in attack. To be fair, its one game and we did look rusty.

• Like 2

A long off-season it's nice to be back in overreaction central.

We were rather stale in swathes of this game and improvements are needed, but like us Wolves are a club gunning for top 6 entry and this result midseason would have been seen as a decent one, a point against a direct rival is definitely an acceptable result.

Tielemans was dawdly, Chilwell pedestrian & Maddison extremely ineffectual, but this is early on and I don't think the setup help. BUT it's extremely important to remember that Rodgers is a lot more tactically flexible than former managers, we'll have other answers to other teams.

Meanwhile Barnes, Soyuncu and Ricardo all had a good game. We could have nicked a goal if Vardy hadn't fluffed his lines (I expect Iheanacho to be slated for doing much better at a much harder chance soon). 

Certainly not all doom & gloom, expect Chelsea to be an altogether different game. However game 1 down and we're already off the mark!

Surprised at the love for Barnes, one excellent run and he clearly has something. But his movement is so frustrating, I'm not sure he has the brain for it. Time and time again there is space to run into and he wouldn't, or Chillwell was running forward and he could either go wide and provide the overla, or make a run to drag a player out of his way and he just tends to go inside and just stand there. This happened when he played last season as well and he didn't seem to know how to play with and compliment a full back making runs. I know he's young, but stuff like that is crucial for a good player. 

3 minutes ago, Corky said:

Not every match under Puel was deathly boring, not every game under Rodgers will be thrill-a-minute.

No, but the vast majority of Puel games were deathly boring and the vast majority of Rodgers games have been very entertaining.

• Haha 1

I always think, when I see a performance like that, littered with individual poor performances, that it could well be something to do with the build up/pre match prep. 

Three or four players don't have off games by accident, Madders and Chilly looked leggy, Youri couldn't seem to pick a pass at times... to me that indicates that something just wasn't quite right in the prep... rather than some fundamental tactical issues.

One tactical point I wasn't happy with though, no cross-field balls from Evans, they're lethal and have lead to goals in Pre Season and at the end of last season, couldn't really work out why we weren't playing them.

• Like 1

Just too much tension I think ...   playing a team who we know will be near us come the end of the season ...   we just didn't want to lose and that became very apparent.  Times we raced up the pitch only to bottle the killer ball and come backwards.  Players also seemed very reluctant to take anyone on in case they lost the ball.  I think the crowd helped as best we could but the game was never going to come alive unless one team scored.     Tbh there was nothing that really concerned me ...   one or two players looked very poor but we know they can play a lot better ...   and there were some good positives ...   especially Caglar.   I'm sure come next Saturday we will be far more relaxed.

As an aside, the smelly old git near me was shouting  "This is garbage !" as usual and had to be told to shut up ..    just don't get some supporters ...   I am seriously considering wedging something in his gob ....     :)

Well that didn't go well but pretty much as I expected. While I knew Wolves were a good side they also have a really top notch Manager. BR could learn a few things from him.

That's as poor a first game I've seen from us in a while. It certainly wouldn't have happened in Pearson's time. 

We where too slow,  looked unfit and certainly and not up to speed. Too many players didn't perform for it to be and accident.

Kaspers           Same old failings on show again, But we know that by now.

Ricardo           Tried to provide width but also made too many mistakes.

Chilwell           He looked unwell to me, He seemed to lack Energy and couldn't even jump for the ball.

Evans              Caught for pace at times but a steady influence on Soyuncu. Poor on the Var Goal though.

Soyuncu          He done ok but wasn't perfect. He takes too many risks and that will cost us. He got lucky a few times yesterday but I expect him to improve with more games.

NDiddi             Was the right call to play him today. I new we'd need him and would struggle against their big lads. He was probably our best player yesterday.

Hamza             He done ok and gained more experience.

Tielemans       Was our best midfielder going forward. He was the only one willing to beat a man to try an open up space. 

Maddison        Was trying but was too safe at times and too slow to move the ball at other times. I won't even discuss his awful corners. It's time someone else tried taking them.

Perez              Tried but he was used in the wrong manner yesterday. 

Vardy              Tried but there was too little space for them to operate in and Wolves were magnificent at covering the channels.

Barnes did make a difference when he came on and provided proper width.

Rogers          My fear with BR approach is it's too one dimensional and can be neutralised too easily as happened yesterday. He has to do better.

I've yet to be convinced he's the saviour many on here think he is.

Nunez           Gave a masterclass in tactics and approach and nearly pulled it off.

But it is only the first game and so there's a long way to go. We have to look at it as 2 points lost not one gained.. We need a big improvement against Chelsea were they're in transition and should it should be possible to get a result. But a big improvement is called for.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Surprised at the love for Barnes, one excellent run and he clearly has something. But his movement is so frustrating, I'm not sure he has the brain for it. Time and time again there is space to run into and he wouldn't, or Chillwell was running forward and he could either go wide and provide the overla, or make a run to drag a player out of his way and he just tends to go inside and just stand there. This happened when he played last season as well and he didn't seem to know how to play with and compliment a full back making runs. I know he's young, but stuff like that is crucial for a good player. 

He does seem to walk inside when chilly has the ball a lot, rather than make runs wide or in behind defenders. Must be an instruction as it makes no sense otherwise and he seems to thrive in taking on players when he gets the chance. 

29 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He does seem a bit lost on the wing, especially positionally. You can see why he did well for WBA as a striker/number 10 & not as a winger. 

Personally I think that was his best performance for us since his return, but that’s not saying much because in my opinion his performances last year were overrated. I want all our youth to succeed and would probably have been delighted if Pascanu replaced Maguire & Ndukwu  replaced Mahrez lol. But if we’re being honest there is something missing in Barnes game when he’s out on the wing.

But now Brendan’s got difficult decisions to make. Go with the diamond (which we look poor in) or the 4-3-3 which we arguably don’t have the wingers for. I think the diamond is the best for Harvey’s development because he could slot in as the second striker or number 10 role (albeit off the bench).