Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Wolves Post Match 0-0

My take on yesterday's 1st game of the season.

Brendan set up to negate Wolves formation and it didn't work, Maddison cannot play out wide in a 4-14-1, it totally negated the pivotal axis between him and Youri, this meant they both had poor games as did Chilwell, Perez and Vardy with Perez and Vardy suffering from the aforementioned issues with JM and YT limiting the opportunities to thread the eye of a needle.

Cags, Ricardo, Evans and Wilf were very good and theres some real positives to build on.

Wolves were v well drilled and Boli was a beast, but VAR aside a draw was a fair result and not terrible.

I'm sure we'll improve and Rodgers  will get more right than wrong over the season and I certainly don't get some of the dramatic overreaction on here after just 1 game ffs.

49 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I don't think you lot have anything to worry about in terms of creativity and chances in the future. You just happened to come up against a team that is set up to play a specific defensive shape against teams, give them the lions share of possession, keep the play in front of us, restrict teams to long shots. Then look for quick attacks on the counter on the transition when we win the ball. Last season we had the fourth best xGA in the league, and the highest average distance away from goal for shots conceded. 

If you play like that regularly you'll beat plenty of teams home and away. 

What happened to Jota yesterday? Usually looks so threatening but fell over once, blazed wide wildly and just looked ineffective, in stark contrast to January.

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

I don't think you lot have anything to worry about in terms of creativity and chances in the future. You just happened to come up against a team that is set up to play a specific defensive shape against teams, give them the lions share of possession, keep the play in front of us, restrict teams to long shots. Then look for quick attacks on the counter on the transition when we win the ball. Last season we had the fourth best xGA in the league, and the highest average distance away from goal for shots conceded. 

If you play like that regularly you'll beat plenty of teams home and away. 

What impressed me so much about you in the first 60 minutes, was how well your front 2-3 managed to receive, control, turn and quickly attack our goal. We just seemed completely unable to stop that pass into your attackers feet and then again unable to stop them breaking forward with speed. On another day I think we could have been punished 2-3 times with better finishing.

Obviously this system works great against teams who like the ball, but curious what your Manager does against teams who also set up to sit deep and allow the opposition to have the ball. 

Do you often struggle against a target man? That was the only way I could see us scoring yesterday. Whipping crosses in to a big lump who could cause some problems for you. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Yes he had an unfortunate off day. Whether the travelling affected him or it was just a bad game I don't know. He's been good in all the previous European games. 

Both him and Jiminez were atrocious in the final 3rd, we were fortunate they both had off days as all of our forward thinking players did too. Very poor game.

• Like 1

Watched the highlights if you can call them that lol and read a few match reports. 

I think Rodgers has made a big boo boo in not bringing in a dynamic wide player with a bit of x-factor. I know he’s signed Perez and I think he’ll be a good signing but he’s more a steady eddy type.

The match yesterday was crying out for someone such as that to break the lines and try and do something special. Question the use of £18m on Praet when you look well stocked with decent midfield players but imo poorer than the teams around you like West Ham, Everton and Wolves in terms of wide players.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Watched the highlights if you can call them that lol and read a few match reports. 

I think Rodgers has made a big boo boo in not bringing in a dynamic wide player with a bit of x-factor. I know he’s signed Perez and I think he’ll be a good signing but he’s more a steady eddy type.

The match yesterday was crying out for someone such as that to break the lines and try and do something special. Question the use of £18m on Praet when you look well stocked with decent midfield players but imo poorer than the teams around you like West Ham, Everton and Wolves in terms of wide players.

I'm relaxed about not signing a star winger as I'd rather see Harvey Barnes be given time to develop into the player we think he might become (and not just because he's one of our own). Marc Albrighton isn't done yet either (but not so sure about Gray). 

• Like 3

Just now, Spudulike said:

I'm relaxed about not signing a star winger as I'd rather see Harvey Barnes be given time to develop into the player we think he might become (and not just because he's one of our own). Marc Albrighton isn't done yet either (but not so sure about Gray). 

There’d still be opportunity for Barnes, as Albrighton on the right to be quite honest now isn’t going to cut the mustard as a winger in a top 6 side.

Having real quality out on the right hand side and Albrighton as able back-up would probably take less burden off Barnes on the left and allow him to develop without too much expectation. 

Cant help but feel you’ve missed a trick with Sarr. Fact he went to Watford suggests he’d have been yours if you wanted him.

• Like 3

On 11/08/2019 at 19:48, Papasmurf said:

He needs to wise up sharpish as half the league will come and play that way at our place. 

Yep and I'm sure Brendan is aware of that. However Wolves never played like that last season so it was unexpected. 

On 11/08/2019 at 20:33, Mint_Fox said:

Really? After their long European trip it made perfect sense for themto sit tight and conserve energy. Later in the season I'd agree but today we needed to hit them hard.

Maybe but I never saw them play like that at all last season so was still unusual. They ultimately  got what they came for. A 0-0 draw. I'd like to hope that we won't try playing for too many 0-0 draws this season. Even when we play the top teams we normally have a bit of a go. 

Got greatly left off when one of their forwards was clean through right on the stroke of half-time, but funnily slipped over at the final moment..

If he was more decisive and just put a shot in, the momentum from then-on could've changed quite a lot.

5 minutes ago, escape2victory said:

Barnes has his head down too much. He is very direct which is positive but he needs to look up more, and make more correct decisions in the final third. The give and go with Vardy was brilliant, just then slide it across for a tap in. That’s the quality we lack in those areas.

E7F57E18-8319-4B02-AAC7-FCF2C31F5F45.jpeg

To be fair to him, the decision he made was correct, it was just too late - one touch too many.

But that screenshot says it all. That's a guaranteed goal of that is passed across the face.

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, escape2victory said:

Barnes has his head down too much. He is very direct which is positive but he needs to look up more, and make more correct decisions in the final third. The give and go with Vardy was brilliant, just then slide it across for a tap in. That’s the quality we lack in those areas.

That's pretty painful to look at isn't it

40 minutes ago, escape2victory said:

Ah man! Looking at that you do think what a chance. With Barnes though, really think he will be some player in 2-3 years and will get better and better as the season goes on. I can’t remember who was on here who said he didn’t have pace but that person is obviously clueless - he has it and it is his X factor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, henrik_62 said:

There’d still be opportunity for Barnes, as Albrighton on the right to be quite honest now isn’t going to cut the mustard as a winger in a top 6 side.

Having real quality out on the right hand side and Albrighton as able back-up would probably take less burden off Barnes on the left and allow him to develop without too much expectation. 

Cant help but feel you’ve missed a trick with Sarr. Fact he went to Watford suggests he’d have been yours if you wanted him.

....was absolutely buzzing for the season to start!!!

Was not too elated with the purchases we made in this window...wishing Brendan would bring in a electric right winger to take us to the next level. It did not happen and feel that we have missed out on a great opportunity.This performance has reinforced my reservations when the window closed.

I really hope that this will not cost us, getting to where we want to be.

9 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

While it's acceptable for players to lack a little match sharpness this early in the season, there's no excuse for them to lack fitness. The Staff new the date for the start of the season, it's their job to have the players ready. No excuses.

There's no doubt we will get better, But we've still dropped 2 points at home yesterday in a game we could have lost.

I don't do instagram but I'm sure the players are being honest. I just wonder how much of yesterday's faults was down to the players or the Manager.?

I'd have thought more of BR if he came out and said we weren't at our best but were trying to improve certain things. Instead of saying the players gave everything when we know that wasn't true. quite frankly I expected better and it's his job to sort it out quickly if we have any real designs on top 10 never mind top 6.

Spot on

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I noticed that we seem to be a bit pedestrian getting around the park!!!

Can there be a possibility that we are over trained. Looking at the players they are very lean and seem to be at peak fitness. The problem was that we just could not seem to muster a tempo and impose ourselves on them.

The incident when Ricardo was dispossessed on the touchline, Caglar brilliant came back to cover and played the ball back out to Ricardo and usually this would have been a counter attack but he just could not pick up any speed to start the counter.This is pure speculation but too many of our players were not on it and the word coming out of the club is we are doing double sessions in training and I wonder if that will be maintained for the rest of the season. Perhaps this explains certain players below par performance...could it be that simple??

Definitely think you have something there. Maybe all down to touch training because in the latter stages they did look livelier than us, and had played only a few days before. Good assumption. Thank you

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Oh god double training sessions wasnt that the beginning of the Puel demise

Crikey,  next thing you know the manager will be starting two holding mids against beatable opposition.

Edited by Deeg67