Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Wolves Post Match 0-0

1 hour ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Have to agree with this. He's world class at what he does,but yet incredibly one dimensional as a player. Can't / won't play with his back to goal.

I think saying he's one dimensional is a bit harsh. Otherwise he wouldn't have successfully adapted his game over the last few years to counter teams that drop deep. His runs are still incredibly intelligent and if he did start to drop deeper to look for the ball I think it would detract from that threat he poses. Vardy generally only needs one chance which is why defenses hate playing him (yes he missed that chance yesterday) He still worked hard yesterday, won some corners and had a lovely link up with Barnes at the end of the game which should have resulted in a goal. 

35 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm glad he doesn't drop deep, we'd then have had zero players forward centrally. Vardy is many things, but a play maker like Kane does at times he isn't.

He has to shoulder some of the blame for either a) not being adaptable enough or b) not staying alert enough when games aren't going his way to take any morsel of chances that come his way, see the swipe and miss at the Tielemans cross that ought to have resulted in a goal and the win.

I tend to view Vardy's performances on the chances he misses and his movement in games where he should be getting free having openings, yesterday's game was the cause of several things but i'm laying the blame at the support case. The high press was in fits and starts and there were very little turnovers to create that ball through to Vardy, part of this was that Tielemans and Maddison weren't close enough together with players going past them to draw the opposition away from them, we've seen this before and we'll see it again. We're a work in progress and hopefully we'll improve.

... I have noticed that in pre-season that he has dropped and Perez becomes the primary receiver in the box and that works to a great extent. The fact that Vardy is not the main target was something I thought we would put in practice as a sign of the teams' flexibility. 

Vardy is not a one trick pony and can drop to play the second striker, he is unselfish, works hard for the team and now seems to have been asked to play in a way which restricts his movements. 

24 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Well that didn't go well but pretty much as I expected. While I knew Wolves were a good side they also have a really top notch Manager. BR could learn a few things from him.

That's as poor a first game I've seen from us in a while. It certainly wouldn't have happened in Pearson's time. 

We where too slow,  looked unfit and certainly and not up to speed. Too many players didn't perform for it to be and accident.

Kaspers           Same old failings on show again, But we know that by now.

Ricardo           Tried to provide width but also made too many mistakes.

Chilwell           He looked unwell to me, He seemed to lack Energy and couldn't even jump for the ball.

Evans              Caught for pace at times but a steady influence on Soyuncu. Poor on the Var Goal though.

Soyuncu          He done ok but wasn't perfect. He takes too many risks and that will cost us. He got lucky a few times yesterday but I expect him to improve with more games.

NDiddi             Was the right call to play him today. I new we'd need him and would struggle against their big lads. He was probably our best player yesterday.

Hamza             He done ok and gained more experience.

Tielemans       Was our best midfielder going forward. He was the only one willing to beat a man to try an open up space. 

Maddison        Was trying but was too safe at times and too slow to move the ball at other times. I won't even discuss his awful corners. It's time someone else tried taking them.

Perez              Tried but he was used in the wrong manner yesterday. 

Vardy              Tried but there was too little space for them to operate in and Wolves were magnificent at covering the channels.

Barnes did make a difference when he came on and provided proper width.

Rogers          My fear with BR approach is it's too one dimensional and can be neutralised too easily as happened yesterday. He has to do better.

I've yet to be convinced he's the saviour many on here think he is.

Nunez           Gave a masterclass in tactics and approach and nearly pulled it off.

But it is only the first game and so there's a long way to go. We have to look at it as 2 points lost not one gained.. We need a big improvement against Chelsea were they're in transition and should it should be possible to get a result. But a big improvement is called for.

I think you are being way overly critical. I don't think they are completely up-to the appropriate fitness levels just yet, hence Chillwell lacking energy you say. The first game is always a strange one for all teams since its the first real high paced 90min  and not as relaxed and reserved in pre-season games. I would take the first game as a signal for whats to come. I'm going to ignore the mistakes or weaknesses  at this stage on this for now and concentrate what we did well and improve for the next game away at Chelsea.

If you are following the players on Instagram, they give a very honest opinion about their own performances, Perez seemed very honest as-well as Vardy so they realise the game plan didn't work and the performances were not the best.

I think patience is need for the next for games. we continue..

1 minute ago, justfoxes said:

Don’t know if this has been posted yet but Noticed on the programme that Dennis Praet isn’t down or been given a number is that due to international clearance ?

He was on the bench, more likely they printed the programme before he joined

2 minutes ago, justfoxes said:

Don’t know if this has been posted yet but Noticed on the programme that Dennis Praet isn’t down or been given a number is that due to international clearance ?

He was on the bench wasnt he?

If he was on the bench he has been given clearance to play

Not the best performance but not a total shambles either. Wolves probably got what they came for and what they deserved, defensively very solid and Boly in particular was superb. Bit concerning how many times they were able to counter in behind our full backs but I suppose that's the risk you take when relying on them to provide width. 

Good: Ricardo our biggest threat throughout, Soyuncu looked right at home and bullied Jimenez for most of the game, Ndidi did a great job unsettling them and winning the ball back, Barnes looked fairly bright when he came on and was the only time we got in behind into a threatening position.

Bad: Chilwell well off the pace, Maddison not a great deal better and quite wasteful throughout, Vardy pretty anonymous for large spells and should have scored from Tielemans' cross in the first half, Perez not the best albeit against one of the most impressive individual defensive performances I've seen against us recently from Boly, Albrighton's crossing was poor and aimless.

Still, clean sheet and a point against a very reasonable team isn't a disaster and it's better than we've managed from the last three openers. Onwards and upwards.

Only managed to catch the last 30 minutes. Looked very good the last 30 though, all over them. Tough to break down a team that's sitting so deep but we came close. If Evans didn't try that overhead kick, Wilf had a free shot from 6 yards out, not a guaranteed goal with it being Wilf, but it'd go down as a 0.9 on xpG haha.

If Barnes had managed to square the ball first time instead of taking a touch, after his one-two with Vardy then Albrighton would have had a tap in.

It'll come with time, it was a very promising performance though I though. Obviously things to improve on, but we look good. 

Guest Cujek
3 hours ago, FIF said:

It's not wingers we need to improve it's shooting and striking. We have wingers, though BR chose not to play them until later in the match. Crosses are useless if your striker can't get hold of them or use them.

If Demarai or Iheanacho had the game that Vardy had they would have been slated and got a 2 in the match ratings. Vardy isn't good with wingers, he needs balls put through the channels, like Drinks used to do and like Maddison and Tielemans usually do but didn't manage yesterday. 

However our biggest problem yesterday apart from our shooting boots was the fact that Boly completely nullified Ricardo and Perez (who have proven to be our biggest threat in the pre-season).

You can't get through balls past a team that is defending that deep. 

The only thing we could do was bang crosses in, but with no target man it was pointless and done more in hope than anything else. 

I'm surprised we didn't go for a big lump up front as a plan b, I think it's a real weakness for us having to rely solely on JV. 

8 hours ago, adejo92 said:

Yeh, he seems to do about 48 embarrassingly bad free kicks and then redeems himself by scoring a worldie. 

I'd sacrifice his 2 worldie's a season for someone who can kick a ball consistently thus leading to more goals... Hopefully... 

Spot on. Took be about 1000 words to your few to make the point. Cheers.lol

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

... have you noticed Youri in pre-season!! 

Just as ineffective... you just wonder what they do in training. Our dead ball skills are nowhere near where they should be,  no variety or creative ideas. With the skill set we have it is very disappointing. 

Sodding mystery to me. They remind me of the Bermuda Triangle. Things go missing lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, STUHILL said:

The more i think about yesterday's game, the more I am a little concerned. 

It really showed the contrast in one side (Wolves) having a well organised and established formation, where every one knew their job and each player suited their role, which gave them balance in attack and defence. Whereas, for us, I feel Rodgers still doesn't know his best formation or tactics to get the most out of these players and I think we are going to need more experimenting with formations and line-ups before we can really progress and find consistency. 

The way we set up meant that we lacked width or at least support in wide areas. We were also blunt in attack (credit to Wolves there too) but easily exposed at the back - one pass and Wolves were in on goal on more than one occasion. 

I still think there is lots to be positive about but it did dawn on me that we certainly aren't going to hit the ground running this season and I think Rodgers still needs 5-10 games to figure out our best formation and line-up and for the players all knowing their jobs.

On the other hand, we nearly beat a very well organised and tactically astute Wolves, so if Rodgers can get the formula right sooner rather than later, then we could quickly become the best side out of the top 6. After watching us yesterday though, it is no doubt going to take more time to get right and until it does, we could see mixed results. 

With Wolves only playing a few days before playing us I thought we looked more tired than them going into the last 20 minutes. There was a time when a ball got away from Chilly. He just stood there hoping it would go out for a throw in. Instead a Wolves players did not give up on it and ran straight past Chilly leaving him for dust. Unacceptable. With Rodgers I felt that the team would be ultra fit and ready for the new season but I am deeply disappointed. I mentioned their preparation after a couple of preseason games and was slated on here. The opening day of our title season against Sunderland at home we did not give them any breathing room. We were all over them like a rash. Yesterday we were so slow. Played too many  side to side passes. We just allowed Wolves time to regroup and stay narrow. Mind you there number 15 was awesome. Watched highlights from most of the games from this weekend and hate to say it but we played some of the slowest out there. 

Seriously reminded me of Puel football. Almost as though they were playing with an arrogance thinking they just had to show up to win. Only Ricky P, Hamza, Evans, Ndidi and Soyuncu Sauce seemed to give a toss and showed up to work. The rest seemed as though they were still in France working on their tans

2 hours ago, Simoken said:

I think you are being way overly critical. I don't think they are completely up-to the appropriate fitness levels just yet, hence Chillwell lacking energy you say. The first game is always a strange one for all teams since its the first real high paced 90min  and not as relaxed and reserved in pre-season games. I would take the first game as a signal for whats to come. I'm going to ignore the mistakes or weaknesses  at this stage on this for now and concentrate what we did well and improve for the next game away at Chelsea.

If you are following the players on Instagram, they give a very honest opinion about their own performances, Perez seemed very honest as-well as Vardy so they realise the game plan didn't work and the performances were not the best.

I think patience is need for the next for games. we continue..

While it's acceptable for players to lack a little match sharpness this early in the season, there's no excuse for them to lack fitness. The Staff new the date for the start of the season, it's their job to have the players ready. No excuses.

There's no doubt we will get better, But we've still dropped 2 points at home yesterday in a game we could have lost.

I don't do instagram but I'm sure the players are being honest. I just wonder how much of yesterday's faults was down to the players or the Manager.?

I'd have thought more of BR if he came out and said we weren't at our best but were trying to improve certain things. Instead of saying the players gave everything when we know that wasn't true. quite frankly I expected better and it's his job to sort it out quickly if we have any real designs on top 10 never mind top 6.

• Like 1

I was a little shocked we didnt use all of our subs. Wolves were always going to be tired after their EL trip, some fresh energy could have been the difference.  It would have been nice to see Praet get a few minutes in, or even Iheanacho after a decent pre-season. Not using all of your subs can demotivate the players on the bench, as it tends to show that you arent even close to that position youre fighting for. 

Even stranger, Wolves didnt use theirs either. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

I think those being heavily critical of us are doing Wolves a bit of a disservice. They were as well organised at the back as I have seen a team at Leicester for a long time. 

They sat deep and allowed us no space to have any real meaningful attacks and every player worked extremely hard and knew exactly their job.

We undoubtedly can do better though and must find ways of coping with well organised defences that are happy to sit deep and give us the ball. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, LCFCSOULBOY said:

With Wolves only playing a few days before playing us I thought we looked more tired than them going into the last 20 minutes. There was a time when a ball got away from Chilly. He just stood there hoping it would go out for a throw in. Instead a Wolves players did not give up on it and ran straight past Chilly leaving him for dust. Unacceptable. With Rodgers I felt that the team would be ultra fit and ready for the new season but I am deeply disappointed. I mentioned their preparation after a couple of preseason games and was slated on here. The opening day of our title season against Sunderland at home we did not give them any breathing room. We were all over them like a rash. Yesterday we were so slow. Played too many  side to side passes. We just allowed Wolves time to regroup and stay narrow. Mind you there number 15 was awesome. Watched highlights from most of the games from this weekend and hate to say it but we played some of the slowest out there. 

Seriously reminded me of Puel football. Almost as though they were playing with an arrogance thinking they just had to show up to win. Only Ricky P, Hamza, Evans, Ndidi and Soyuncu Sauce seemed to give a toss and showed up to work. The rest seemed as though they were still in France working on their tans

...I noticed that we seem to be a bit pedestrian getting around the park!!!

Can there be a possibility that we are over trained. Looking at the players they are very lean and seem to be at peak fitness. The problem was that we just could not seem to muster a tempo and impose ourselves on them.

The incident when Ricardo was dispossessed on the touchline, Caglar brilliant came back to cover and played the ball back out to Ricardo and usually this would have been a counter attack but he just could not pick up any speed to start the counter.This is pure speculation but too many of our players were not on it and the word coming out of the club is we are doing double sessions in training and I wonder if that will be maintained for the rest of the season. Perhaps this explains certain players below par performance...could it be that simple??

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

I think those being heavily critical of us are doing Wolves a bit of a disservice. They were as well organised at the back as I have seen a team at Leicester for a long time. 

They sat deep and allowed us no space to have any real meaningful attacks and every player worked extremely hard and knew exactly their job.

We undoubtedly can do better though and must find ways of coping with well organised defences that are happy to sit deep and give us the ball. 

Many thought we'd turn up and play them off the park. After all Utd are a direct rival, not them.

The Wolves are a very good team with an excellent manager, it always was going to be a tight game. They came for a point and deservedly got it. However the expectations of some here really are really going through the roof with all this top 4/6 challenge nonsense.

29 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I noticed that we seem to be a bit pedestrian getting around the park!!!

Can there be a possibility that we are over trained. Looking at the players they are very lean and seem to be at peak fitness. The problem was that we just could not seem to muster a tempo and impose ourselves on them.

The incident when Ricardo was dispossessed on the touchline, Caglar brilliant came back to cover and played the ball back out to Ricardo and usually this would have been a counter attack but he just could not pick up any speed to start the counter.This is pure speculation but too many of our players were not on it and the word coming out of the club is we are doing double sessions in training and I wonder if that will be maintained for the rest of the season. Perhaps this explains certain players below par performance...could it be that simple??

Where did you hear this?

17 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Where did you hear this?

...Davie G.

'You don't want to be taking the mick and going out every other night'

It is lunchtime at the Leicester City squad’s pre-season hotel, booked so the players can eat and then sleep between the day’s two sessions, although for one member of the squad the idea of a siesta is as alien as letting an opposition defender dawdle on the ball.

Jamie Vardy, the striker who never rests, the non-league footballer turned England international, and the top Englishman among Premier League goalscorers last season, is strolling round the lobby. As lean as ever, he has enjoyed his first full summer off in five years and we are on the lookout for a member of staff with a laptop who can call up his pre-season fitness statistics.

Continues here - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/08/09/exclusive-jamie-vardy-interview-still-have-three-red-bulls-double/

•  
  • Like 1

I don't think you lot have anything to worry about in terms of creativity and chances in the future. You just happened to come up against a team that is set up to play a specific defensive shape against teams, give them the lions share of possession, keep the play in front of us, restrict teams to long shots. Then look for quick attacks on the counter on the transition when we win the ball. Last season we had the fourth best xGA in the league, and the highest average distance away from goal for shots conceded. 

If you play like that regularly you'll beat plenty of teams home and away. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1