Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Wolves Post Match 0-0

1 hour ago, FIF said:

It's not wingers we need to improve it's shooting and striking. We have wingers, though BR chose not to play them until later in the match. Crosses are useless if your striker can't get hold of them or use them.

If Demarai or Iheanacho had the game that Vardy had they would have been slated and got a 2 in the match ratings. Vardy isn't good with wingers, he needs balls put through the channels, like Drinks used to do and like Maddison and Tielemans usually do but didn't manage yesterday. 

However our biggest problem yesterday apart from our shooting boots was the fact that Boly completely nullified Ricardo and Perez (who have proven to be our biggest threat in the pre-season).

It's all about collective movement and pressing for Vardy, you say he isn't good with wingers but under Rodgers last season there were 4 goals he scored that were from superb crossing/wing play. His 2nd vs Fulham where Barnes ripped it up the left and crossed it in, his header vs Bournemouth which although was from Tielemans it came from out wide and then his goal vs West Ham was some of the finest movement you'll ever see from a striker attacking a cross.

Yesterdays game was similar to what we saw at times under Puel last season when we had the ball for too long and moved it up pitch and across and back and across and at all times the opposition had their defence set and unless your striker is 6 foot 5 and an animal in the air the chances of getting on the end of much from the positions is remote. His glaring miss from the cross from Tielemans was poor though.

Collectively we need to get back to what we witnessed last season under Rodgers where Tielemans and Maddison play as duel number 8's and we press high and have support out wide from Perez and Barnes this opens space up for Vardy but also we have enough players supporting him in the box.

4 minutes ago, sdb said:

He does seem to walk inside when chilly has the ball a lot, rather than make runs wide or in behind defenders. Must be an instruction as it makes no sense otherwise and he seems to thrive in taking on players when he gets the chance. 

Whether it's his decision or the managers it's bloody stupid either way. If he made those simple runs he find himself on the ball far more. There was a moment when the ball went out for a corner and he just wandered off head down when he had Maddison asking for a short corner as nobody was close. Sort of summed him up a little, not alert to potential opportunities. With Chilwell's total inability to cross, we need to be using his runs to get the ball to Barnes, rather than asking him to do the attacking. 

• Like 1

Had a great birds eye view of the game and I would say it was possibly the worst defensive show I've seen in years. How we didn't concede was a miracle and I'm deeply concerned how Brendan didn't seem to react to this in the game to change the system or really acknowledge the defensive s**t show in his post match interview. 

We basically had two defenders Evans and Soyunchu and the rest of the players were not to be seen! Evans is one of the best readers of the game and he looked like Stretch Armstrong at times with Soyunchu playing emergency last man like I see in our 5 aside team most weeks. 

Chilwell and Ricardo need to understand that they are still primarily defenders and protecting their goal should be their first job. Chilwell especially wound me up something rotten as he has the football brain of a gold fish and couldn't see the danger that was happening down our left over and over again. One time I looked up to see where he was and was jogging back from their corner flag while Soyunchu looked like Flash Gordon trying to save the Earth from the evil Ming the Merciless. 

2 minutes ago, Shane said:

He does seem a bit lost on the wing, especially positionally. You can see why he did well for WBA as a striker/number 10 & not as a winger. 

Personally I think that was his best performance for us since his return, but that’s not saying much because in my opinion his performances last year were overrated. I want all our youth to succeed and would probably have been delighted if Pascanu replaced Maguire & Ndukwu  replaced Mahrez lol. But if we’re being honest there is something missing in Barnes game when he’s out on the wing.

But now Brendan’s got difficult decisions to make. Go with the diamond (which we look poor in) or the 4-3-3 which we arguably don’t have the wingers for. I think the diamond is the best for Harvey’s development because he could slot in as the second striker or number 10 role (albeit off the bench). 

He played wide for West Brom, there just wasn't a huge amount of support form the full backs. It was all, give the ball to Barnes and just let him go at them. He's still good when we get him to do that, he just seems lost when others are on the ball. 

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Whether it's his decision or the managers it's bloody stupid either way. If he made those simple runs he find himself on the ball far more. There was a moment when the ball went out for a corner and he just wandered off head down when he had Maddison asking for a short corner as nobody was close. Sort of summed him up a little, not alert to potential opportunities. With Chilwell's total inability to cross, we need to be using his runs to get the ball to Barnes, rather than asking him to do the attacking. 

I wonder whether it would be better to play Perez wide left cutting in and Barnes wide right. I agree, there's something that doesn't work with Chilwell and Barnes. I like Barnes cutting in but he also looked useful in the games Rodgers brought him on on the right where he got his goal vs West Ham and ought to have scored a couple vs Arsenal in the same role.

• Like 1

Happy with a point considering the last few opening games of the season.

Wolves came with a clear plan and they are a good team, they looked to frustrate us and restrict the space and try to hit us on the break. They came here and set up against us like they would against any of the big 6 which is a compliment, not every team is going to be as good as Wolves at this and we should hopefully become quite adept at breaking them down.

• Like 1

Barnes wont give us the 7-10 goals we need from our wingers. Mahrez in his last season here was supposedly "sulking" and yet he scored 12 from the wing. That's the drop in quality we have seen. 

Surprised that so many are classing Ndidi and Choudhury as a problem yesterday. To combat Wolves' midfield playing those two together was understandable, bringing Wilf straight back in especially was a fantastic decision. The selection can be looked upon as a bit negative; however as we've seen in the past, playing three in the middle against top six sides especially has worked.

Yesterday I didn't expect Wolves to set up so defensively, that was surprising but you can't blame Ndidi and Choudhury as the source of the problem as to why we lacked creativity going forward.

The problem yesterday wasn't central midfield, the problem was from out wide. Our lack of width yesterday was the sole reason as to why we drew 0-0. Our left side especially offered nothing yesterday, if we're going to play this formation in certain games then I'm ok with Ndidi and Choudhury in midfield, what I'm not ok with is Maddison on the wing, it just doesn't work, when we play this formation we need width. Dropping Maddison for Barnes or Albrighton is a must.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

It was a poor game. Both teams set up pretty conservatively I thought so it's no surprise that a 0-0 played out. We dominated possesson but we had largely similar problems to what we had last season in the sense we couldn't, and didn't ever really look like breaking them down.

All a bit underwhelming if I'm honest, especially given they've just come back from an absolute pig of a journey.

Mind hasn't, and won't change on VAR even if we're the beneficiaries this time. We aren't going to be every week. Remember that. I also thought it was a harsh decision. If it had stood I wouldn't be sat here moaning about it.

It wasn't rubbish but it was all a bit flat. Wolves will be the happier of the two sides with that.

As regards VAR itself, I feel pretty relaxed - first year teething problems etc.

As regards people moaning about VAR, when what they're nearly always doing is moaning about the rules it's enforcing... that is going to drive me nuts this season

Edited by turtmcfly
  • Like 2

It's funny how every time Vardy has a bad match, it's either the manager's fault of his "assist men".  Never his.  The fact is, there are #9s out there who when the game isn't coming to them, they go to the game.  They drop deeper, they move, they find a way to get involved.  Vardy doesn't do that and never has, which is why he disappears for entire matches not that infrequently.

Vardy is very, very effective when things are just so.  What he's not is adaptable - be it to managers, formations, or the flow of play.  At his best he's clinical enough that he sometimes has one of those disappearing games but snatches a goal out of nothing on the one chance he gets.  He had a great chance yesterday and literally whiffed on a sitter off a perfect cross, and apart from that you'd never have known he was on the pitch.

Edited by Deeg67

7 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

It's funny how every time Vardy has a bad match, it's either the manager's fault of his "assist men".  Never his.  The fact is, there are #9s out there who when the game isn't coming to them, they go to the game.  They drop deeper, they move, they find a way to get involved.  Vardy doesn't do that and never has, which is why he disappears for entire matches not that infrequently.

Vardy is very, very effective when things are just so.  What he's not is adaptable - be it to managers, formations, or the flow of play.  At his best he's clinical enough that he sometimes has one of those disappearing games but snatches a goal out of nothing on the one chance he gets.  He had a great chance yesterday and literally whiffed on a sitter off a perfect cross, and apart from that you'd never have known he was on the pitch.

Have to agree with this. He's world class at what he does,but yet incredibly one dimensional as a player. Can't / won't play with his back to goal.

ALL clubs before the start of the season were told about the new hand ball rule so everyone knew going into the first game what the outcome would be so for Wolves to keep moaning how it is so unfair that the goal was disallowed, just get over it!. it could have happened to us and I'm sure there would be loads of people on Foxestalk that would have moaned about it!, a good point considering, Wolves were very well organised and always looked a threat in attack. Soyuncu did very well albeit a few nervy moments, I just hope he continually works on his game to keep improving.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, sdb said:

He does seem to walk inside when chilly has the ball a lot, rather than make runs wide or in behind defenders. Must be an instruction as it makes no sense otherwise and he seems to thrive in taking on players when he gets the chance. 

.. accounts for the on field arguments between the two of them. 

14 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

What’s happened to the Crazy Stats Thread?

Anyway:

I do hope this encourages people to be more patient with the team...

The caption for the photo "Maddison takes one of many ineffective corners" 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

What’s happened to the Crazy Stats Thread?

Anyway:

I do hope this encourages people to be more patient with the team...

If the fans thought we could hold onto them all as they matured then I guess we would be

the fear is we are developing them for the bigger clubs and we won’t see the benefits for LCFC other than financial - it’s a model which works for the club off the field and perhaps will pay dividends on it eventually if we are lucky ....

Just having a look through a Wolves forum to see what they though of the game, basically the same as us with a little (lot) added frustration at VAR.

Also, this gem from our friend @The Bear :ph34r::-

The Bear is online nowEuro 2012 PTG Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
Just spotted this comment on FoxesTalk icon_lol.gif

They mostly seem to think they got away with it a bit today and Ben Chilwell seems to be becoming their Lee Naylor.
They banned me for 24hrs yesterday for arguing the toss on that verdict thread! The mods over there are like mini Hitlers compared to here.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I'm glad he doesn't drop deep, we'd then have had zero players forward centrally. Vardy is many things, but a play maker like Kane does at times he isn't.

He has to shoulder some of the blame for either a) not being adaptable enough or b) not staying alert enough when games aren't going his way to take any morsel of chances that come his way, see the swipe and miss at the Tielemans cross that ought to have resulted in a goal and the win.

I tend to view Vardy's performances on the chances he misses and his movement in games where he should be getting free having openings, yesterday's game was the cause of several things but i'm laying the blame at the support case. The high press was in fits and starts and there were very little turnovers to create that ball through to Vardy, part of this was that Tielemans and Maddison weren't close enough together with players going past them to draw the opposition away from them, we've seen this before and we'll see it again. We're a work in progress and hopefully we'll improve.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Worth sitting through that just for the Soyuncu shoulder barge and Vardy challenge. 

That Vardy challenge was amazing! Seemed so frustrated that none of his teammates were bothering to go for the ball so ran across the pitch to do it himself 

• Like 1

All in all, I thought we looked very promising in the first half. There were stretches where we completely dominated in possession, and found openings in Wolves' defense, but we lacked the final quality needed to convert. We came out of the second half, and looked dreadful. Individual errors by Evans and Chilwell defensively, and a better team would have punished us for them.

At times we were unlucky to not score, but also fortunate not to concede. This game felt more like it should have ended 2-2 with the lack of defensive quality, but there was an equal and opposite lack of finishing quality lol

Many are overreacting to a single game, wanting certain players to be dropped, or formations to be changed. I think we just saw some players that were not quite ready for the season to start, and we should stick with Brendan Rodgers' plan. 

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Barnes wont give us the 7-10 goals we need from our wingers. Mahrez in his last season here was supposedly "sulking" and yet he scored 12 from the wing. That's the drop in quality we have seen. 

A bit unfair to bring Mahrez in the comparison and a bit too soon to make that judgement. They're also completely different players. Barnes is miles away from Mahrez's level at the moment but it still doesn't mean that he won't be good for us. He maybe needs that goal to boost his confidence and let's be honest, players like Mahrez as one of a kind. Even then it took him a bit of time to flourish. Unless we unearth a hidden gem, we won't get a winger of his quality before a very long time.