Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Bournemouth H Post Match Thread 3 - 1

Think the Youri challenge was poor but the guy seemed to come in from his blindside, the Lerma challenge on Evans was over the ball and thought it was more malicious. Sky did not help and when interviewing Wilson could have asked him about diving which he got booked for and could have been given a 2nd yellow for telling the ref to fvck off. The media do seem to like their manager personally don't rate him but think he is OK commentating on Bake Off with Noel Fielding

• Like 1

Nice to beat that lot, they've been a tough team to get a result out of here at home for while. Although they didn't look quite right, heads dropped at the start of the second half when only a goal down, they're lacking Daniels & L.Cook who are two of their main men, their best CB Ake shifted out to LB. Josh King anonymous. Not sure Tielemans would've deserved a red, a yellow would probably be correct as he was only trying to shield the ball but got his foot down late.

Vardy MotM for us. Soyuncu great again but one early mistake cost us a goal with Wilson pouncing on a sloppy offside trap. Youri really grew into it after another error strewn start, having wingers stretch the game ahead of him definitely helps though. Wilf combative and secure although at times ran past too easily in the second half. Evans a rock again, Ricky not one of his best games but still a six or seven out of ten. Great save from Kasper to turn Solanke around the post, pulling one off every match currently. Albrighton ran himself into the ground for us as always. Dimmy with a decent cameo but still has to know when to slow it up in those opportunities to finish, much better application though and our fans showed him some appreciation which is much needed.

Top 3 with Palace & West Ham also quite high in the table . . . again  ;)

Lets hope for a productive international week for Madders & Chilly

27 minutes ago, vanity said:

Tielemans is demonstrably better playing with wings. It opens up the defense, and creates the angles he needs to provide the daring service we fell in love with last season. 

I thought Gray's performance was excellent. He was a terrific substitute, bright, aggressive, and he lacked the angle for the pass when he tried to go through the keeper's legs to Vardy. We need him to play like that for us consistently, he is better on the ball 1 v. 1 than any player on our team. When we need somebody to sub in to break down a box when we are struggling, he has the tools we need. But BR needs him playing at a consistently high level like today.

A few more controversial thoughts: Maddison remains a poor finisher. Might be what keeps him from the top-6's clutches next summer (obv nobody is getting him in the winter window). 

Why doesn't Harvey Barnes see more of the ball? Is he poor re getting himself in position for service? Is he unpopular? Too inconsistent? It really seems Maddison avoids him for other options to the detriment of our build-up. 

Cannot help but remember how profligate we were in front of goal vs. Chelsea. We'd be tied with Man City if we had converted our dominance into a goal. Still think we may need

One thing: late in the game I saw Ndidi under pressure in the corner, working to play the ball out the back -- that is a recipe for disaster. He isn't a player I want passing the ball into the middle to escape pressure, that is a goal waiting to happen. 

I am delighted with how the club has turned winning into a habit. We haven't shown the sort of dominance we did last season after BR arrived, but we have grown so accustomed to getting a result it looks reflexive. That said, Man U. will show us where we really are. They aren't a side that should beat us, even in Manchester. Our talent matches up well, we are much stronger mentally, and we don't have the massive pressure they do at the moment. Now is the time to make a statement if we are really making a run at the top-4. Which we should be, if Eriksen is out at Tot, with Man U struggling to score, with Chelsea's youth movement, and with Arsenal being Arsenal, I think we should be after 3rd place. 

Interesting comment about Tielemans. He was indeed better today especially after the goal but I think you are right that the formation suits him

more.

As for your comment on Barnes, it is not just this game. From what I observed, it has been the same since he came back last season. I think Chilwell generally does not connect well with the left winger ahead of him (whoever that is) and Barnes suffers from that a lot. I also think he is more suited nearer to the middle instead of the left side. Perhaps Rodgers should get him to drop back a bit and work out a better way to get him on the ball more.

On Ndidi - you have a point but he did manage to get the ball out. By the way, he seems to be better on the ball this season! May he keep improving.

43 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Everything here is spot on except the comments about Gray - he had a solid cameo and kept us ticking over. Credit where it's due - everyone put in a shift today.

:schmike:

When gray came on he looked. More relaxed, he was passing instead of trying to take everybody on and shooting, imo BR will get the best out of Gray, let's get behind him so he hets more confident 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

Interesting comment about Tielemans. He was indeed better today especially after the goal but I think you are right that the formation suits him

more.

As for your comment on Barnes, it is not just this game. From what I observed, it has been the same since he came back last season. I think Chilwell generally does not connect well with the left winger ahead of him (whoever that is) and Barnes suffers from that a lot. I also think he is more suited nearer to the middle instead of the left side. Perhaps Rodgers should get him to drop back a bit and work out a better way to get him on the ball more.

On Ndidi - you have a point but he did manage to get the ball out. By the way, he seems to be better on the ball this season! May he keep improving.

Why do you have a million excuses for Barnes yet none for other players? He wasn’t good enough today. Perhaps he needs to work on his “foot power”. 

Edited by jaylcfc94

58 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

We are a really decent, borderline good team. It was thrilling to watch the game today!

I think today was a really good team performance, two players were truly outstanding for me, in Jamie Vardy and Caglar Soyuncu, but in general we were good all round. Albrighton I thought made a huge difference when he was on the pitch, and Tielemans got a goal and an assist. Ironically I would still say his performance was "only"  a 7/10, but that's because we know what he is capable of. In fact a very scary thing is that we are on 8 points after 4 games, and some of our top players haven't hit top form yet.

Other good players today were Maddison (should have scored), Evans (solid), Kasper (solid), Ricardo, Chilwell, Ndidi even Gray when he came on was good, and should have scored also. Probably only Barnes had a stinker and we know he's going to be up and down as a winger trying to find his way in the Premier League.

I have been consistently impressed by Rodgers since he took over, and I was again today. I think he made some really astute changes to the team at different times in the game. The match was too open in the first 25 minutes and I think Bournemouth thoroughly deserved their equaliser. They are a good team with decent players themselves. But he managed to get our boys to control the game a lot better in the second half whilst retaining our fairly fluid attack. Then in the second half, Gray made a big difference, Hamza was superb again (IMO once he came on I thought it was game over, he just monstered the midfield) and even going to a back 3 at the end with Fuchs to see the game out was intelligent. It's not the first time he's made great subs and managed to change the flow of a game, something that Puel struggle with during his tenure here.

A special word on Jamie Vardy. What a bloody amazing player. Has there even been a better million pounds spent in our history? Totally unplayable today. This was him in vintage 15/16 form where he could win games by himself. He's my all time favourite player, and it was truly a joy to watch him play like he did today. Top top class.

We've surely got to get excited as fans. The crazy thing is we still have several gears to go through if you ask me. Maddison for example has had a very good start to the season but isn't hitting the back of the net. If he adds that to his game, he will become a superstar. Tielemans much better today, but we all know what he is capable of. There are many other players in the team that can also do more than they have shown so far. For a young team to play so vibrantly, the future is so promising. Most of these players are only going to get better, that is the really exciting thing.

Next 4 games are Man United away, Spurs home, Luton away in the cup and Newcastle home in the league. Think we will know where we really stand after those games. Man United in particular we surely have a great chance to get something, they have been well off form.

It's brilliant to watch your team play like this in the sun again! It took me 3 and a half hours to get to the game today because of trainline improvements, but not even bothered after seeing that.

COYB! :scarf:

In anyone's history?

• Like 4

Game was very open first half, but as it wore on we managed their threat better and second half we controlled the game and could have won more comfortably. I didn’t see Youri’s challenge but it wasn’t even deemed worthy of a booking! Go to Old Trafford with no fear, and have Vards sat on Harry’s shoulder for 90mins threatening in behind 

Just now, Buce said:

In anyone's history?

You make a very good point!

Only ones I can think of in my lifetime that rival it are:

- Eric Cantona (£1.2m)

- Riyad Mahrez (650k! lol)
- Kolo Toure (150k)

- Ole Solskjaer (1.5m)

- Paolo Di Canio (1.5m)

Of those probably Cantona, Mahrez and Toure come close. Vardy I would put above Mahrez if you compare their contributions for us only, though it must be said that the Mahrez sale was more than what Vichai paid to buy the club in the first place! So that transfer is truly ridiculous.

Cantona for that price seems like a steal, but that was a lot of money back then, probably more like 10-15m today, which would still be a bargain but not quite as outlandish as Vardy.

Toure was very good as well if you take into account he was first choice next to Sol Campbell during Arsenal's invincible season.

Great result and I still think when we play Bournemouth, there's bound to be an element of doubt on the part of the team because of how well they've done against us, until Brendan took charge.

So the significance of beating them relatively easily is perhaps bigger than people might think and to me bodes well for the target of Top - 6, come the end of the season.

We are looking stronger and more composed with every game. Think there's every chance we get something vs United and Spurs.

Edited by Kendal Fox

2 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Game was very open first half, but as it wore on we managed their threat better and second half we controlled the game and could have won more comfortably. I didn’t see Youri’s challenge but it wasn’t even deemed worthy of a booking! Go to Old Trafford with no fear, and have Vards sat on Harry’s shoulder for 90mins threatening in behind 

You just know that Vardy would love to turn Harry inside out and bang one in 

37 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

It will probably go under the radar a tad, but thought it was a brave and top decision from BR to drop Perez. He’s taken £30m of the chairman’s money - knowing that same chairman was in attendance - and benched him as he’s been average. Loving that ruthlessness.  

Yep it was the correct decision and Albrighton is now ahead of him after that performance. He doesn't have "favourites" whereas Puel I felt most definitely did in Papy Mendy.

If anything it makes us even more of a potential threat. Riding high in the table and left Perez and Praet on the bench, Nacho not even in the squad. Praet to me has even looked very good when he's played for us, apparently he was in good form midweek, but didn't get any minutes today. I think Nacho will get some games around Christmas time, and for Perez we will have to wait and see if he can fight his way back.

Another thing Rodgers should be complimented for is changing the team tactics and structure for the opposition. Under Puel we played 4231 at home until Tielemans came in at which point he did try 433. Against the big boys he played more of a 451 with three defensive midfielders in the team. Rodgers kept two defensive midfielders in against Wolves and Chelsea and we got points in both games, and should have beaten Chelsea. Neither Puel nor Shakespeare nor even Ranieri beat Bournemouth, but Rodgers has done it twice in less than 6 months.

Today I think was a good yardstick to measure our progress, and the verdict must surely be one of satisfaction.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Riot Van said:

I see a lot of people have fallen into the Gray trap.

How many times has he come on at home for 20 odd minutes against tired legs and looked good? A lot.

I disagree, I think his best moments for us have generally come from the start (Brighton at home, Everton at home 17-18 under Puel). Can't recall too many great sub appearances from him, I think we improved as an attacking unit with him on the pitch today.

Today he showed a maturity he's been lacking, he took the shot on when it was the best option, played some nice balls, that take from the goal kick was excellent, and generally was composed in helping the team see the game out with the short passing sequences in the corner.

Pleased for him, I hope he takes his chance. I'd actually fancy him to start at United over Albrighton and utilise his pace against Young.

9 minutes ago, jaylcfc94 said:

Why do you have a million excuses for Barnes yet none for other players? He wasn’t good enough today. Perhaps he needs to work on his “foot power”. 

We comment on football and our views on football players here. See forum guidelines.  If you have anger or obsession issues, go seek some help.

And yes, I like Barnes as a player. I like to think many other fans do too and quite a few of us want to see more of him.  If he plays regularly for a seaon and he performs badly, I would equally comment on other things he needs to work on or what is good for the team.  Today, he may not have touched the ball many times, and that is a real issue that needs to be solved, but I dont think he did poorly when he did have the ball and I dont think he did have “foot power” issue as shown last week.  Meanwhile, I dont see you be comment fairly on Maddison either. How did you think he played today? Like Kevin De Bruyne or Eden Hazard?

And also yes, I have a real favourite player - one that I have never criticised including when there were a few doubters last year.  Jamie Vardy. I also rarely criticised Fuchs because I think he is great and no one overhypes him.

Just on Chilwell he did Ok after slightly rusty start but he sits well off the player coming at him which \I get from playing myself but there is a time to get tight and he didn't seem to be seeing it.His focus seems to be go forward and defence is a bit of an inconvenience.But good day all round 4141 looks to be our best set up

48 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

more.

Ndidi is def def def much improved on the ball, I think working w Puel really helped him, and I am sure under BR he will continue to improve. I just really worry with his passing when we are in those "no room for error" spots. 

I've also noticed this w Barnes in past games stretching back to last season, but I hadn't tied it to Chilwell, I will have to watch for that. I honestly have been wondering if he just isn't trusted yet, or even unpopular for some reason, as I notice Maddison missing him frequently as well on his runs. 

To some extent, it is probably also a function of looking so hard to get Vardy service, our attack is so Vardy-centric it probably makes us a bit one-dimensional at times and easier to defend than we would be if, say, our FBs and AMs were more balanced with their distribution. 

• Like 2