Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Bournemouth H Post Match Thread 3 - 1

4 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

What is the goalkeeper doing lol?  Good finish though.

I was gonna say!  Fantastic pass by Cags and fantastic finish by Vardy, but that's absolute trash goalkeeping.  Go for the ball or stay put - don't just stand there and invite Vardy of all people to lob.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Foxxed said:

He drifted a lot and often played at no 10 for West Brom. He would sometimes seem anonymous on the left but he was allowed to roam where the action was and inevitably caused havok. The West Brom players also started to look for him, something that's not happened currently at least of all with Chilwell.

He did look a little anonymous today but then he put in a great shot which needed a great save in the second. Rodgers seemed to want to play with interchanging inverted wingers at the start of the season and chose Perez for one of those - I think Barnes would have been the perfect fit.

I think you sum it up quite well. He doesn’t get enough of the ball but when he does he often look dangerous. As you also said, he is just not getting much from Chilwell and he may be more effective if he is allowed to drift around a bit more like he was allowed to at WBA. He did get one useful ball during this game (from Maddison) and he got a good shot on target forcing a good save (guess it is the one you mentioned).

If you remember the second part of last season, when we were quite boring at times playing a lot of sideway and backward passes, he was still able to be a spark on the left leaving us on the edge of our seats at times, but he did that a lot of times without Chilwell’s help.  I still recall how a few of us here wondered if Chilwell deliberately ignored him.  But imagine if Ricardo can play on the left and does all his great runs up and down the left together with Barnes (just like what he does with Albrighton). I believe he would be much more effective. Given the reality though that Chilwell will be played by Rodgers, it is better that Barnes can be given more room to roam around.

Edited by Tom12345

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

giphy.gif

WE DON'T NEED YOU

WE'VE GOT SOYUNCU

PLVFa.jpg

This clip is awesome! Cags is a real gem. Funny how I heard a commentator mentioned the other day that Cags is more of a no non-sense defender (implying that he is safety first and boot it up sort of defender like Huth). He clearly needs to see the clip.

5 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Mostly woeful? Jeez.

To be fair @Babylon, you were banging the drum day in day out about how great Puel was, in the face of evidence on and off the pitch, so please forgive me if I treat your football opinions with a certain amount of caution lol [The emoji will hopefully illustrate I'm being somewhat playful rather than nasty here]

You find a single post where I said Puel was great, that’s just more revisionary bollocks. You might be being jokey, but as with a few others on here who chuck out fake opinions or quotes I never actually made I’m going to defend myself against it.

I defended him against a lot of over the top shite that was posted on here and not much else, as I have done for every single manager we’ve ever had. My default setting is give them time and judge them fairly.

I said a million times the football wasn’t good or consistent enough, but as with all managers we have I will say they need time. I said he should go if certain things failed to happen, which in the end is what happened and I was thrilled with Rodgers coming in.

As for Barnes, yes I think he’s been very disappointing so far. The biggest sticking point being his link up play (or lack of) with Chilwell. He doesn’t seem to know when to run, where to run, how to pull players away. Perhaps woeful is a bit strong, but god it’s weird seeming one player ripped to shreds for not great performances and others are just totally ignored and glossed over.

If we want to do well, then whether someone cost £30m or is a kid, we can’t  carry passengers.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

People in the media (myself included) were saying, and quite often, how Puel was ripping the insides of the club apart.

These were facts, not opinion, but some wouldn't have it.

More revisionary stuff... now for what was actually said.

Gonna stick my neck out here and say that I’d rather have Soyuncu in the team than Maguire. More pace and at least as skilful, though perhaps not quite as commanding in the air. Both players have the potential for the odd mistake.

Best performance over the whole match this season, particularly Vardy, but no one had a bad game. Even thought Gray did well in his short stint.

11 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

This is the point in the thread where I upset people for posting ridiculously large gifs of Leicester City goals.

But you know what? I don't even care! Feast your eyes in this moment of absolute top quality from our talisman and living legend, Jamie Vardy:

giphy.gif

Has anyone pointed out the pass from Chilwell leading up to Vardy’s sublime finish? 

Absolutely on a postage stamp!

• Thanks 3

13 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

We are a really decent, borderline good team. It was thrilling to watch the game today!

I think today was a really good team performance, two players were truly outstanding for me, in Jamie Vardy and Caglar Soyuncu, but in general we were good all round. Albrighton I thought made a huge difference when he was on the pitch, and Tielemans got a goal and an assist. Ironically I would still say his performance was "only"  a 7/10, but that's because we know what he is capable of. In fact a very scary thing is that we are on 8 points after 4 games, and some of our top players haven't hit top form yet.

Other good players today were Maddison (should have scored), Evans (solid), Kasper (solid), Ricardo, Chilwell, Ndidi even Gray when he came on was good, and should have scored also. Probably only Barnes had a stinker and we know he's going to be up and down as a winger trying to find his way in the Premier League.

I have been consistently impressed by Rodgers since he took over, and I was again today. I think he made some really astute changes to the team at different times in the game. The match was too open in the first 25 minutes and I think Bournemouth thoroughly deserved their equaliser. They are a good team with decent players themselves. But he managed to get our boys to control the game a lot better in the second half whilst retaining our fairly fluid attack. Then in the second half, Gray made a big difference, Hamza was superb again (IMO once he came on I thought it was game over, he just monstered the midfield) and even going to a back 3 at the end with Fuchs to see the game out was intelligent. It's not the first time he's made great subs and managed to change the flow of a game, something that Puel struggled with during his tenure here.

A special word on Jamie Vardy. What a bloody amazing player. Has there even been a better million pounds spent in our history? Totally unplayable today. This was him in vintage 15/16 form where he could win games by himself. He's my all time favourite player, and it was truly a joy to watch him play like he did today. Top top class.

We've surely got to get excited as fans. The crazy thing is we still have several gears to go through if you ask me. Maddison for example has had a very good start to the season but isn't hitting the back of the net. If he adds that to his game, he will become a superstar. Tielemans much better today, but we all know what he is capable of. There are many other players in the team that can also do more than they have shown so far. For a young team to play so vibrantly, the future is so promising. Most of these players are only going to get better, that is the really exciting thing.

Next 4 games are Man United away, Spurs home, Luton away in the cup and Newcastle home in the league. Think we will know where we really stand after those games. Man United in particular we surely have a great chance to get something, they have been well off form.

It's brilliant to watch your team play like this in the sun again! It took me 3 and a half hours to get to the game today because of trainline improvements, but not even bothered after seeing that.

COYB! :scarf:

Doesn’t seem like they’ve improved it much then :)

6 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

We did well today. 

But Bournemouth played right into our hands. Played their best centre back at left back, leaving Vards to terrorise two immobile centre backs. Both central midfielders got booked early on leaving them buggered. A clearly below quality goalkeeper. Josh King disappeared. Harry Wilson wanted to play no.10 role ala Maddison leaving the left wing open for overlaps

Bournemouth will comfortably finish 12th this season but Eddie Howe doesn't seem to evolve evidently.

11 minutes ago, Koke said:

Bournemouth will comfortably finish 12th this season but Eddie Howe doesn't seem to evolve evidently.

They're missing so many important players to injuries; Gosling, Daniels, L Cook, Brooks, Francis, Stanislas and a few more peripheral players all mostly out for months with serious setbacks. Another one added to the list yesterday with Smith.

Still they need players to turn up and Josh King wasn't on it and they carry absolute donkeys like Ibe but I think with most of their players fit they would've given us a better game, especially start of the second half where they looked to have given up at 2-1.

9 hours ago, Babylon said:

He’s playing in the same position he did for West Brom and he’s not playing anywhere else for us, so we need to judge on him there. He’s regressed since coming back IMO and doesn’t work with Chilwell at all.

He’s got something but he’s not showing enough at the moment.

Most of his best performances at West Brom came as the 10?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Babylon said:

So we’ll ignore the fact he’s been mostly woeful and keep playing him because... you know, he’s young.

Pardon? Mostly woeful? That's not true is it hahahaa. I will concede that he doesn't seem to have anywhere near the same impact from the start of games than when he comes on, I also think he seems better on the right wing away from Chilwell where there's a real lack of natural understanding.

He will get goalscoring chances and is the direct force we need at times, so far his output for us has been alright. Needs to add end product which he showed last weekend but I can't recall where he's looked woeful but can recall several games where he looked our most dangerous midfielder. 

• Like 2

Great performance, now this is the formation we should play at home. On the front foot, we will beat most of the bottom half sides playing like this. Plenty of room for improvement but that performance was truly a good sign.

We are certainly on track for finishing in the Top 6, I do believe we could sneak 4th position. If results go our way.

8 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

He played devil's advocate a fair amount, I'll grant you. But I remember that he spent a lot of time trying to debunk opinion with fact. Of course, he got it wrong from time to time - we all do, even @ARM1968  :) - but I think he was genuinely trying to deal with the one-eyed hatred for Puel, who, for all his faults, was still a human being, not a 'non-person' as someone shamefully referred to him recently.

How very dare you. I am ALWAYS right. :D

7 hours ago, TheMightySystem said:

Does anyone know if there was a penalty claim when Madison was slammed into the back in the box mid way through the second half? Looked stonewall in person but nothing given and no idea why not given at the time.

Also in the first half a Bournemouth player went down in our box with a head injury so ref stopped play as we had the ball near the half way line. Yet when play resumed Bournemouth had possession and didn't just kick the ball back to schmeichel? Seemed like poor refereeing to me.

Not a penalty, for me. Would have been very soft if so. 'slammed' is a bit of an exaggeration! 

Agree about the restart after the head injury. Albrighton had the ball and yet play restarted with Bournemouth. Ref should have said to kick the ball back to our defence. 

• Thanks 1

At times it was a stunning performance and back to the type of performance we saw under Rodgers last season. When we play like that it's so easy to get caught up in the belief we are destined for the top 6. 

If and when Maddison can gain composure with his finishing then we will go up a gear. He wasted a number of great chances yesterday and it's still often down to Vardy or Tielemans to score our goals. We'd hoped Perez would bring us an element of reliability in scoring but that seems some way off right now as he learns to fit in to this team. 

It was great to see Albrighton and Gray make an impact, Albrighton worked superbly down the right with Ricardo and although he failed to execute a number of potential openings he showed how good he is for the balance of the team. I thought Gray was even better, the game was perfect for him and he was unlucky not to have at least 1 assist yesterday.

All in all we go in to the international break in fine fettle! 

4 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

On reflection there were a lot of defensive errors we won't get so many defensive errors against united but it's a great results not least because Tielemans started getting into the game finally.

I wouldnt be so sure, I think Maguire will have a howler against us. The pressure is mounting on Utd already.

Teams seem to fall in to the trap of thinking it was errors that led to the goals we scored against them, Howe said it yesterday and Wilder last week. The thing is, that is our strength and main asset, we will force mistakes which are every bit as unavoidable at times as a fast, flowing intricate passing move. When you are being pressed and pressured in areas you don't want to be in and turnovers happen we pounce.

• Like 4