Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Luton Town (A) pre match

This is an excellent opportunity to give several fringe players a game - and not risk injury to first-team indispensables on what could be a sodden surface. I'd like to see starts for at least Ward, Justin, Fuchs, Praet, Albrighton and Iheanacho, but I'll trust Rodgers on this one. Whoever he puts out, the team should be strong enough to win. There can be no excuses.

Edited by Hammo

3 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

If that was the case we should've just thrown the last round though.

I've even said I'd make changes but I don't want any jeopardy of going through. I'd sooner get it won then get the subs on.

Justin, Praet and Perez must all start.

well if anything it gives the fringe players a chance to get some game time along with players on the bench in the league, I don't see why we have to go full strength against Luton anyway Newcastle was a different proposition 

3 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

3. Experience required if fit for Benzoic and Justin.

Aah, the Benzoic era.  Dominated by that towering beast that, once it sheds its immature green-ringed coat, becomes a fast and deadly creature of a bluish hue, which no predator can trouble.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Those players on the outskirts of the first-choice XI could be given the chance to impress at Kenilworth Road on Tuesday.

"We will assess it," said Rodgers.

"We have to build a squad who are robust if we are going to have ambitions later on.

"To be a really good side, you have to be able to cope with games mid-week, so that is the level.

"But I think the players outside - I didn't make so many chances in the first game against Newcastle - I felt it would have been unfair for the players who hadn't played so much because they won't have been at the right level of fitness.

"I think, whatever changes I make now will mean we have a strong team and the players will be at a good level because they have had more training and we will be ready to play.

"Whichever way, it will be a tough game against Luton, and we will put out a strong team."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Wolves have been terrible this season. You know why? Consistently playing their first team players midweek... Obviously we don't have their load but it's not just about now, it's also about the rest of the season

We couldn't beat them though?

I am happy for changes, maybe 4-5 with players who have regular appeared as a sub or at least named on the bench. Praet, Fuchs, Choudhury, Albrighton, Justin, even Ward (I believe there is little difference between Schmeichel and Ward, depends if we want to keep the back 4 with the same keeper for consistency).

What I don't want to see is Justin, Morgan, Benkovic, Fuchs, Gray, Mendy, Amartey, Iheanacho all brought in of which a lot of players have played 0 minutes of football this season.

I want to win this cup and if we play a good side every match then we can go far. Take it serious.

7 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

We couldn't beat them though?

I am happy for changes, maybe 4-5 with players who have regular appeared as a sub or at least named on the bench. Praet, Fuchs, Choudhury, Albrighton, Justin, even Ward (I believe there is little difference between Schmeichel and Ward, depends if we want to keep the back 4 with the same keeper for consistency).

What I don't want to see is Justin, Morgan, Benkovic, Fuchs, Gray, Mendy, Amartey, Iheanacho all brought in of which a lot of players have played 0 minutes of football this season.

I want to win this cup and if we play a good side every match then we can go far. Take it serious.

Well yeah, because the schedule wasn't talking the toll on them yet. 

In fairness, I agree with your second and third paragraphs pretty much. Going all out second 11 is risky. Something like this would be much more reasonable?

Ward

J.J Benkovic Soyuncu Chilwell

Praet Hamza

Albrighton Barnes Ricardo

Perez

20 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Ricardo needs a rest for sure, played every minute so far.

Apart from that pretty solid lineup, although Fuchs proved in his couple games so far this season he can still be relied on so would like him to play too. 

Ricardo is a tank, don't think he needs too much rest. Chilwell is fair enough

Rest Ricardo, give Justin a run out.

If we can't beat these without Vardy, something's gone wrong.

Put Perez up top, see if he can't get a goal. 

If Iheanacho isn't in contention for tonight at all (and doesn't have an injury) then it really doesn't bode well for him.

28 minutes ago, Goober said:

I'd start Vards all day for this. Give him 60 minutes and hope we get the job done then

24 minutes ago, CollinsLCFC said:

Ward
JJ - Benko - Soyuncu - Fuchs

Mendy - Hamza

Gray - Praet - Albrighton

Vardy

Vardy should be bench at most.

He's played most of if not all games so far.

Give the guy a break, we should have the quality to beat these without the need of Vardy. 

14 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Vardy should be bench at most.

He's played most of if not all games so far.

Give the guy a break, we should have the quality to beat these without the need of Vardy. 

Do we though? Hardly a risk asking him to play 60 minutes max. If we leave him at home/bench him and get knocked out he'll be raging more than anyone.

Just now, Goober said:

Do we though? Hardly a risk asking him to play 60 minutes max. If we leave him at home/bench him and get knocked out he'll be raging more than anyone.

Always a risk with Vardy, over playing him opens him up to straining his groin, especially on a wet and waterlogged pitch.

Would rather bench him and start Nacho or Perez and see how either of them do. Then bring Vardy on should we need.

7 hours ago, koop. said:

Why? 

Our second string is more than capable and although a cup run is great for continued motivation and consistency (and of course winning any competition is great) but a place in Europe has to be the priority and aim. Playing in Europe takes a club to another level, both in terms of competition and the finances involved dwarf those of the pennies you'll collect from this cup competition. 

Would you risk any of our first team so that we lose them for the league? That's crazy talk my friend

Crazy talk? Our second string (with several P/L winning players in the side) lost to Newport, a side two divisions lower than Luton!

And winning a cup automatically gets us into Europe. There's no guarantee we'll qualify for Europe through the P/L.

Of course the P/L is important, but there's nothing like a really good cup run to inspire fans.

1 minute ago, ThaiFox said:

Crazy talk? Our second string (with several P/L winning players in the side) lost to Newport, a side two divisions lower than Luton!

And winning a cup automatically gets us into Europe. There's no guarantee we'll qualify for Europe through the P/L.

Of course the P/L is important, but there's nothing like a really good cup run to inspire fans.

But we weren't exactly playing flowing first class football in the starting 11, that passes down into the rest of the squad.

This is a whole new set up of coaching, with a more attacking play style and a much happier camp.

The team last time contained several players we've gotten rid of this time around. Don't expect the team to play with the same lack of class as last time.

4 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

And then when we look knackered against Newcastle and don't get three points there'll be much whining on here.

There are so many good reasons not to play a full first 11 that for me outways the above. 

1. Freshness for Newcastle of certainly Vardy, Ricardo , Evans and Maddison at least.

2. Certain squad players need game time both to rightlfully give them a chance to prove themselves but also get them match ready in case required through injury. Praet particularly springs to mind and maybe see what Perez or Iheanacho can achieve in the main strikers role.

3. Experience required if fit for Benzoic and Justin.

Absolutely no disrespect whatsoever for Luton but if we can't beat them with certain squad members being included we really don't deserve to go any further. As for the team against Newport, it should have been more than adequate and was more about will to win, apathy and lack of application. Fortunately some of those are no longer with us. If squad players who come in showed similar it would help Rodgers  case to get rid. I suspect however that anyone coming in at this moment in time will be gagging to impress.

I'm just amazed posters on here have such short memories!

Last season, Puel was absolutely lambasted on here because he fielded second string players (which included several P/L winners). Now people want us to put out another sub standard side against a team much much better than Newport County!

And now they also want to include a team full of players who haven't played a single first team minute all season. Ye gods...it's beyond belief!

We don't play Newcastle until next Sunday afternoon. There is ample time for players to recover. Obviously if players have niggles they should be rested, but if not they should play.

As for Luton, they'll be buzzing if they see our side full of players who haven't played a minute this season. A real chance to put out a P/L side.

I can't understand why our fans don't want to win this. A cup win would guarantee Europe whatever our league position, and will bring further prestige to the club. We have a real chance this season, with so many clubs giving priority to the P/L or Europe.

2 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

This is a myth. Based on this, Wolves should have been terrible when we played them first game of the season.

Certainly Maddison should get a rest as he has a knock. The others are all fit as far as I am aware and so should be starting. This game is made for Vardy, would be stupid to not start him. By all means bring him off at HT if we are 3-0 up.

Remind me where Wolves are in the table please?

Maddison has a knock and Evans recently had one but has played since. Do you not see any benefit in giving Benkovic a proper game with some first teamers as he strives to get fully fit? Even Morgan could do with a sharpener in case Evans or Soyuncu gets injured. If Vardy was to be injured who would you pick to replace him? Is Iheanacho performing as well as in pre season, is he still hungry? Could we not try and see what Perez has to offer in comparison?

We've ample quality to beat Luton or we need to know why and quickly. It's a squad game now and the whole squad need to be ready. No need to risk fatigue over a long season or injury to one of our key players.