Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Liverpool (A) pre match

7 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I know we disagree on this but we can't play Maddison wide left anymore it simply doesn't work despite all your assertion. Every game we've used it we've improved once we changed from that formation, and struggled whilst using it. Would rather drop him or Tielemans and play Barnes, if we're looking to play a more defensive central 3. Can't just shoehorn people in.

It's not so much wide left though. I'm not saying he should be Leroy Sane and never leave the touchline.

I don't think it's asking too much to ask players to be flexible.

It's not a rigid 4-1-4-1 that i'm asking. I just think that the left side of Liverpool's side is very focused. A lot of their attacks come through Robertson/Wijnaldum/Mane and I think that asking Albrighton to play to quell that is wise. I also think that Salah drifts too centrally to warrant giving Chilwell extra cover and that i'd rather have that extra cover come from a central player instead of a winger.

What i'd play is essentially; 

Kasper

Ricardo Evans Soyuncu Chilwell

Ndidi

Albrighton Tielemans Praet ---------

Vardy

With Maddison free to do what he does best (get in between the lines, take players on, find space etc).

I would say that I wouldn't use this against the poorer sides in the league. We usually look so much better when going to 4-1-4-1 with Maddison central because we play that formation against the weaker teams.

Edited by AKCJ
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I know we disagree on this but we can't play Maddison wide left anymore it simply doesn't work despite all your assertion. Every game we've used it we've improved once we changed from that formation, and struggled whilst using it. Would rather drop him or Tielemans and play Barnes, if we're looking to play a more defensive central 3. Can't just shoehorn people in.

I think the reason it doesn't work as well is because Tielemans doesn't have ball playing support through the middle, rather than because Maddison specifically doesn't play there. I think Praet could be the answer - he can provide some attacking relief as well as defensive resilience. It's not as if Maddison sticks to the wing anyway when he plays there.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, irishfoxkev said:

Just found out match will be live on Premier 1 in Ireland which is Sky Channel 412......A very happy foxlike as it means no scrambling around looking for dodgy streams 🤗🤗 Really think we might get something out of this match as they rode their luck away to Sheffield Utd last weekend and Salzburg midweek. 🦊

I had it last season with sky sports Ireland but not subscribed to premier sports.

Mind you after Man U I was almost glad of that!

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

It's not so much wide left though. I'm not saying he should be Leroy Sane and never leave the touchline.

It's not a rigid 4-1-4-1 that i'm asking. I just think that the left side of Liverpool's side is very focused. A lot of their attacks come through Robertson/Wijnaldum/Mane and I think that asking Albrighton to play to quell that is wise. I also think that Salah drifts too centrally to warrant giving Chilwell extra cover and that i'd rather have that extra cover come from a central player instead of a winger.

Kasper

Ndidi

Vardy

With Maddison free to do what he does best (get in between the lines, take players on, find space etc).

I would say that I wouldn't use this against the poorer sides in the league. We usually look so much better when going to 4-1-4-1 with Maddison central because we play that formation against the weaker teams.

Trent is literally one of their most creative and attacking players, you're going to leave him essentially free on the wing? As I'm not convinced by Maddison's ability to mark a fullback out of their game

3 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Trent is literally one of their most creative and attacking players, you're going to leave him essentially free on the wing? As I'm not convinced by Maddison's ability to mark a fullback out of their game

Did you even read the post?

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Did you even read the post?

Yeah, you don't mention Trent once, you also contradict yourself by saying Chilwell doesn't need extra cover for Salah and then saying that he should get that extra cover from central midfield. Don't see how that doesn't leave Trent free to do what he wants

Edited by Nicolo Barella
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Kasper

Ndidi

Vardy

I read your post and its well considered but youd always be open to a 2 v 1 down our left hand side there between Trent and Salah. One thing you wouldn't want is going to close down Trent to leave Salah more space to operate in.

Nidid would probably naturally shift over to cover the possibility of that happening and then Mane could come central.

Liverpool are just a very good team posing a number of threats. I wouldn't want one player ruining our own shape

42 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Yeah, you don't mention Trent once, you also contradict yourself by saying Chilwell doesn't need extra cover for Salah and then saying that he should get that extra cover from central midfield. Don't see how that doesn't leave Trent free to do what he wants

Chilwell doesn't need extra cover for Salah because he plays centrally. Liverpool don't really play with an out and out winger on the right hand side.

Unless you think we should be doubling up on a right back?

42 minutes ago, Donk said:

I read your post and its well considered but youd always be open to a 2 v 1 down our left hand side there between Trent and Salah. One thing you wouldn't want is going to close down Trent to leave Salah more space to operate in.

Nidid would probably naturally shift over to cover the possibility of that happening and then Mane could come central.

Liverpool are just a very good team posing a number of threats. I wouldn't want one player ruining our own shape

We wouldn't because Salah doesn't play as a right winger. He plays very centrally. Like I said, cover for him would come from our midfield.

Just go for it, don't pick a team to counter theirs.

Schmeichel

Ricardo     Evans     Soyuncu   Chilwell

Praet/ Tielemans  Ndidi  Maddison 

Perez       Vardy        Barnes  

I understand the logic behind wanting Albrighton to track back and mark Trent but personally would rather play Barnes and exploit Trent's weakness in defense.

31 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Chilwell doesn't need extra cover for Salah because he plays centrally. Liverpool don't really play with an out and out winger on the right hand side.

Unless you think we should be doubling up on a right back?

We don't need to be doubling up on Trent, but there's a reason he's got 4 goal contributions in 7 games. I'd feel much comfortable with an actual winger like Albrighton keeping him busy and exploiting the huge gaps he leaves behind in the defence, unlike Maddison who would drift inside to get eaten up by their congested and dynamic midfield. I don't think Maddison is very good at defending against fullbacks from the wing, in fact in my opinion his workrate as a whole is much better in central midfield.

Kasper

Justin           Evan's       Soyuncu       Chilly

Ndidi

Tielemans   Maddison

Ricardo                                         Albighton

Vardy 

Their full backs are a serious issue. They are the reason that their front three have so much space. Playing more defensive minded wingers would nullify that and also allow for a more creative midfield of Maddison AND Youri. 

Just a thought. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Kasper

Ndidi

Tielemans   Maddison

Vardy 

Their full backs are a serious issue. They are the reason that their front three have so much space. Playing more defensive minded wingers would nullify that and also allow for a more creative midfield of Maddison AND Youri. 

Just a thought. 

We have absolutely no evidence to suggest that J.J wouldn't get absolutely rinsed at every oppurtunity by PL level players. How about we play Perez, arguably the best winger defensively in the PL last season (aside maybe Richarlison)

5 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Kasper

Ndidi

Tielemans   Maddison

Vardy 

Just a thought. 

That's genius - plenty on the bench if it goes wrong. Tough ask but that's a decent well balanced side both attacking and defending.

36 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Kasper

Ndidi

Tielemans   Maddison

Vardy 

Just a thought. 

I like this in principle, but probably not the match to experiment with new players. I’d put Ricardo in his usual position, use Perez and swap Tielemans for Praet to start. Plenty of scope to switch it up from the bench later.

As I mentioned before, I’m not sure about Tielemans in this match as I think he might get flustered with the intense Liverpool press.

For me it’s vital that Albrighton starts.

Edited by WigstonWanderer