Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

Definitely seems to struggle when Maddison played out wide in front of him (as does rest of team), and even to a lesser extent Barnes. Seems far more confident when somebody like Albrighton, who he probably trusts to provide cover, is on the left. It was also noticeable that Ricky was far less effective than normal on Saturday when Barnes was on the right wing, although that may have been more to do with having less opportunity against Liverpool.

His lack of end product can be frustrating at times but I am sure that is something that the coaching staff will be working on with him. Possibly we also need to work on the defensive side of Barnes's game too.

I would be surprised if were not scouting for a left back in all honesty. We know that Fuchs is away (I think we were lucky to persuade him to stay for the extra year in the first place) and any squad should have at least two players for each position. I believe that JJ can play either full back but we would be foolish to not recruit another FB either in January or the summer or we could find ourselves woefully short in the event of a couple of injuries/suspensions etc once Fuchs finally departs.

Obviously if somebody comes in with a silly offer and turns his head that is a different kettle of fish and something we would have to deal with, but I certainly would not advocate putting the for sale signs up just yet.

• Like 2

On 06/10/2019 at 10:09, Ric Flair said:

I've about had enough of him if I'm honest, we wouldnt miss him. Take whatever we can get for him.

Since i've been on FT i've agreed with a lot of your posts. You seem to have a good knowledge of the game so I was wondering, do you think he can't get any better and iron out some of his short falls (like learning how to cross a bloody ball)? or, do you think that our manager doesn't have the skill set to get the best out of him? I think we should keep him and believe he can get better. Out of our young players it's Gray that seems like he won't improve to me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Winchesterfox said:

He's only 22 and he's still learning.  Sure, he's having a mediocre spell, but he's still the best left back at the club.  That said, I do think it makes sense to look for an upgrade on Fuchs, so if someone comes in with a silly offer for Chilwell we can take it.  

not a medicore spell, he's currently the weakest link in the starting 11 by some stretch and its been all season so far. 

He needs competition for that starting position from either Fuchs or another LB that we could pick up in Jan. 

Ps im in complete agreement that he will improve and we shouldn't let him go (unless a big bid comes in) 

Precisely what had been raised in other topics... this is a YOUNG squad, they will have rough patches.

Chillwell is the best left back at the club and possibly in England, he is having a form dip (which still has not actually cost us a goal or anything, just lost a bit of attacking run) He will step back up given time a good management

I think from what I have learnt, peoples’ frustration with Chilwell has simply translated into a call to get rid because he continues to be in the team despite a more than capable replacement in Fuchs being ready to come in - and his performances were excellent this season. It is unfortunate, but understandable as it was also shown in fans’ reaction with Ndidi last season. The reality is of course that we are grateful to have Chilwell (why not?) but the real issue is why does he get to play no matter what? Fine if we have no other choice but we do!

Edited by Tom12345

4 hours ago, TheLittleBigMan said:

Since i've been on FT i've agreed with a lot of your posts. You seem to have a good knowledge of the game so I was wondering, do you think he can't get any better and iron out some of his short falls (like learning how to cross a bloody ball)? or, do you think that our manager doesn't have the skill set to get the best out of him? I think we should keep him and believe he can get better. Out of our young players it's Gray that seems like he won't improve to me.

I wrote that on the back of a very frustrating performance from him, it's now 10 months of very mediocre output especially going forward. I just don't see how he suddenly learns how to cross, there's been zero improvement on that in the 3 seasons he's been in the team. He's now working under one of the best coaches in the game so let's hope this changes but there seems to be a natural flaw to his technique. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I wrote that on the back of a very frustrating performance from him, it's now 10 months of very mediocre output especially going forward. I just don't see how he suddenly learns how to cross, there's been zero improvement on that in the 3 seasons he's been in the team. He's now working under one of the best coaches in the game so let's hope this changes but there seems to be a natural flaw to his technique. 

The club should think about hiring a kicking coach for him. Or get him to spend hours with fuchs, his technique in striking a ball is just so poor.

Bit harsh all this. His forward play and final ball has been off this season. But he is still an essential outlet and does push on. This creates shape in the team and space for others. It's critical to the BR tactics. Give him a break he's only young and plays week in week out. He'll mature and get even better. But yes he's no Ricardo - yet!!

10 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

The club should think about hiring a kicking coach for him. Or get him to spend hours with fuchs, his technique in striking a ball is just so poor.

Surely they have done this, when a technique is so obviously flawed they will pick up on things like that if the mere fan can. I just don't think there'll be much of an improvement, the brain and feet don't seem to compute. I do wonder if we are quietly engineering a move like we did ever so well with Maguire.

24 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

I'm sure when they go away on international duty the likes of Chilwell get tapped up by team mates from the bigger clubs. He has got to improve though if that is what he wants to aim for. 

I'm sure you're right but in some cases now, are some of these so called bigger clubs really that attractive? Man Utd for example appears from the outside to be a nest of self important spoilt underachieving vipers. From the harmonious fun loving atmosphere of Leicester City, whilst admittedly the money and history is of course an obvious big attraction, is Maguire just as deep down happy to be pally  with the gobby egotistical specimens like Pogba and Lingard compared with the working relationships with Vardy, Maddison and Chilwell et al? 

Whether Spurs are really a big club is debateable but they don't appear to be a particularly happy camp at the moment with an ageing defence and certain players clearly wanting out. You can likewise detect problems at Arsenal and whilst Chelsea were similar, arguably and paradoxically, their transfer embargo may have actually improved things there with the employing of Lampard as manager and introduction of youth.

Realistically, I could only see playing and training under Guadiola or Klopp and 'currently' their respective clubs being representitive of a challenging, profitable and ambitious move.

6 minutes ago, crisp packet said:

Not in great form granted, but the lad is 22 ? Had a break out season last season and come on leaps and bounds .

As I said not in great form , can we not just back our players ....?

Why do we have to have scapegoat?

:nono: 

In the grand scheme of his career he's played well for about three months. And he's been in and around the first team for about 4 and a half years now.

Sometimes times you have to look at taking value, Ben is a good player bit he's not a 50 million fullback.

A 50 million fullback, can defend and attack, and should be chipping in with 3-6 assists and 3-4 goals a season minimum.

Against Liverpool he had 2-3 good opportunities to whip in a dangerous ball and didn't.

I think we could sell and pick up a replacement for Europe who offers more, and turn a profit.

Edited by coolhandfox

The whole age argument is a difficult one . Some players improve with age some hit an early peak and don't improve. I'm still prepared to give him time but his lack of bottle has always annoyed me . Seems to pull out of any 50/50 challenges or worse even when it's in favour !

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, los dedos said:

The whole age argument is a difficult one . Some players improve with age some hit an early peak and don't improve. I'm still prepared to give him time but his lack of bottle has always annoyed me . Seems to pull out of any 50/50 challenges or worse even when it's in favour !

Same here,

The amount of times he passes backwards from getting into a forward position frustrates the hell out of me. 

Other teams are starting to pick up on him being the weaker link too - how many times did Liverpool attack our left flank? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

His continued inability to deliver a decent cross will eventually mean he needs replacing I fear :(

Ben, more Fuchs need to be given

He genuinely should be spending an hour after training just continuously running down the line and crossing the ball because non league players cross the ball better that him at the moment and that no exaggeration.. 

Edited by les-tah
  • Like 1

His lack of right foot continues to infuriate. He still does that thing where he's running back towards his own goal but keeps on going because the only option involves using his right foot. He did it on Saturday, went all the way back to the touchline and I think Mane won the ball and crossed for someone to head just over.

Chilwell falls firmly into the weird bracket of "if he scores he's suddenly the dog's b*ll*cks" our fans seem to covet.

He scores a goal for us, he'll suddenly be the best LB in the league again. He goes a few without a goal or assist, his flaws are suddenly far more apparent. 

We do have something of a Garth Crooks approach to judging players. He's a decent enough LB. All our full backs are good. That said, £50m? Laughing - provided that, as mentioned, Justin can play there. Otherwise, we're suddenly thin on the ground if Fuchs does move on as well.