Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

Guest An Sionnach

When we play a back four , Chilwell has been reluctant to take defenders on and attack the by line . We know he has the ability so what has changed. Perhaps the fear of being dispossessed upfield and leaving space behind him for potentially lethal counterattacks is the reason. Is this his own decision or Rodgers's explicit instructions . Chilwell 's attacking threat is his main strength , so for me a permanent move into midfield will perhaps be where we get the best use of his talent. His defensive technique will be under far less pressure in midfield. I think most opposition managers realise now his defensive frailties at LB and will always try to exploit them.

On 09/03/2020 at 23:08, justfoxes said:

Listening to this guy when we played Birmingham sitting behind me and the lad going on about how he knows “Chillers!” How he goes on the Pi55 with him & Madders la de la

and how the Deal has already gone through with Chelsea and he’s just going through the motions awaiting for the season to end etc etc etc !!

🤷‍♀️

Edited by Hales

14 minutes ago, Hales said:

I posted on another thread about Ben, I do think the hate he gets is disgusting. Yes he is out of form and his confidence is shot but he has been superb for us and England. People have very short memories! Also does that really warrant the abuse he gets?! JJ is healthy competition and personally I think it's great we are getting players doubling up in positions as this will massively help them as a squad moving forward. It also means there is cover if players need resting/injuries etc... Also a bit of healthy competition for places means everyone ups their game. The fact Brendan has come out and said they are supporting Ben through this fan abuse shows it has really affected him and this is totally unacceptable 😡😥 He is a young lad who needs our support. Constant hate and comments are only going to set him back further. He played well against Birmingham and could of upped his performance even more against Villa had he not been injured.  The constant negativity is draining to read so I can only imagine how it must feel for him. In light of recent incidents of the affects to people in the public eye from social media everyone should be mindful of what they post online. It clearly has affected him. He is one of our players so if we cant support then that's really sad!

Good post, I agree, he needs our support, but I nearly didn't rep it because of that.  Like fingernails down a blackboard to sad pedants like me.  :(

Edited by murphy
  • Haha 1

I don't think his and Maddisons antics (weird self promotion/posing/partying) do anything to help fans relate to them, same thing happens elsewhere not just here like Man Utd with Lingard and Pogba, Alli at Spurs, its a very unattractive trait. All of these players form has nosedived, maybe they should concentrate more on football again.

2 hours ago, Hales said:

I posted on another thread about Ben, I do think the hate he gets is disgusting. Yes he is out of form and his confidence is shot but he has been superb for us and England. People have very short memories! Also does that really warrant the abuse he gets?! JJ is healthy competition and personally I think it's great we are getting players doubling up in positions as this will massively help them as a squad moving forward. It also means there is cover if players need resting/injuries etc... Also a bit of healthy competition for places means everyone ups their game. The fact Brendan has come out and said they are supporting Ben through this fan abuse shows it has really affected him and this is totally unacceptable 😡😥 He is a young lad who needs our support. Constant hate and comments are only going to set him back further. He played well against Birmingham and could have upped his performance even more against Villa had he not been injured.  The constant negativity is draining to read so I can only imagine how it must feel for him. In light of recent incidents of the affects to people in the public eye from social media everyone should be mindful of what they post online. It clearly has affected him. He is one of our players so if we cant support then that's really sad!

From a purely football related opinion, I think he is one of very few weak links in this team. Defensively he is not hitting the heights he did last season, where I thought he had improved that side of his game considerably. Hopefully this is just a spell though and he regains his defensive qualities.

From an attacking point of view I've real question marks over how natural passing, crossing and attacking awareness is with him. He is a pure athlete in his ability to run with this ball but there just seems no control over how he executes the final ball, it's a complete lottery off him. I'd call it a lack of football intelligence but it could be technique and a lack of confidence. 

I would sell him for the fees being quoted in the media, he isn't indispensable to us. He needs to progress significantly to match the ability of Ricardo and the crossing and passing ability of Fuchs.

3 hours ago, lcfcsnow said:

I don't think his and Maddisons antics (weird self promotion/posing/partying) do anything to help fans relate to them, same thing happens elsewhere not just here like Man Utd with Lingard and Pogba, Alli at Spurs, its a very unattractive trait. All of these players form has nosedived, maybe they should concentrate more on football again.

I get that point totally, but they are young lads with lots of money enjoying themselves!  They come across as nice lads in interviews though and seem popular with their teammates.  Their form will pick up I'm sure. Madders hasn't been far off scoring again and I think he needs that one goal and he will be on it again. JJ coming in may give Ben the chance to have a break and work on whatever he needs too and competition is healthy! 

Edited by Hales

Amazing some of the comments on here. Absolutely pathetic. Most people on here were raving about chillwell pre xmas when he went from the start of the season to playing every game up until December before that injury. Yes he's had a bad dip in form and like most of the squad he's took a knock in confidence, but that doesn't make him a crap player. I said before the game that I'd like to see Justin take his place and ironically I got my wish. My reasoning was that I feel chillwell is too predictable, stands off of his man and hasn't been closing down in recent weeks. Justin was the opposite and that's why I really rate him.

• Like 4

On 09/03/2020 at 23:10, Paddy. said:

Here's a mental idea, maybe we keep Chilwell and JJ? Outlandish, I know.

I agree ... I don't think we'd sell England's starting left back who literally can't be replaced in our (hopeful) CL squad since he is club homegrowned for just 15 million more than we got for Drinkwater. I don't think we'd take less than 85...I doubt he's going anywhere.

Edited by MarriedaLeicesterGirl
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Probably the same posters on here who want Chilwell to go for 15million who wanted Vardy to go to WBA for 5 million a few seasons ago

Not really..!!  Just  their Children got older.....!!

1 minute ago, Angus Scott said:

After reading that the majority of posts on here think that Chilwell is useless, I can only conclude that these people are complete idiots & have certainly never seen some of the dross that has played at left back for us in the past

Not useless, just not a top 4 player 

Not a top 4 player? He is Englands left back!!! Yes he is out of form at the moment but he has been brilliant in the past. The best players can lose form! To be honest the rubbish and flack he receives, it's no wonder his form is still off! No one deserves the slating that he gets. He is far from useless. People have very short memories. To slag off our own players to that extent is disgusting. I nearly didn't write the post defending him but its draining to read it all the time and I'm now glad I did as others see what I see too.  Chill out! (Pun intended!)

16 minutes ago, Hales said:

Not a top 4 player? He is Englands left back!!! Yes he is out of form at the moment but he has been brilliant in the past. The best players can lose form! To be honest the rubbish and flack he receives, it's no wonder his form is still off! No one deserves the slating that he gets. He is far from useless. People have very short memories. To slag off our own players to that extent is disgusting. I nearly didn't write the post defending him but its draining to read it all the time and I'm now glad I did as others see what I see too.  Chill out! (Pun intended!)

He is our weak link, hopefully he will get better but for a player hyped up at being worth £50-60m is astonishing and if any club is seriously willing to pay that then let them. If not, he stays and competes for a spot but I do think Justin will push him really close, seems to be more composed on the ball but early days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

He is our weak link, hopefully he will get better but for a player hyped up at being worth £50-60m is astonishing and if any club is seriously willing to pay that then let them. If not, he stays and competes for a spot but I do think Justin will push him really close, seems to be more composed on the ball but early days.

A bit of healthy competition never hurt anyone! Hopefully they will push one another to better things. I hope we keep both, I think we need too, as we need better squad depth. He will get there again, his last game was vastly better than recent outings so I'm confident Chilly will come back.

13 minutes ago, Hales said:

A bit of healthy competition never hurt anyone! Hopefully they will push one another to better things. I hope we keep both, I think we need too, as we need better squad depth. He will get there again, his last game was vastly better than recent outings so I'm confident Chilly will come back.

He was much better vs Birmingham, I've long thought he freezes in the headlights at times and more needs to be done from the coaching staff on playing without fear and autonomy. Some players have natural football intelligence like Ricardo and that's what sets him apart.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

After reading that the majority of posts on here think that Chilwell is useless, I can only conclude that these people are complete idiots & have certainly never seen some of the dross that has played at left back for us in the past

YOU TAKE THAT BACK

download.jpeg