Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

Barring a short spell in the autumn (after he scored at Southampton) he has been consistently one of our weakest players - and invariably THE weakest - since Rodgers took over. Some of his recent performances - v Villa and Southampton at home in January as well as yesterday - have been utterly diabolical.

Conversely he was one of our strongest players in the first half of last season under Puel. And he has almost always looked good for England.

Why? 

As others have said  he’s been poor for most of the season . He started the Southampton game shaky but once he scored he was like a different player and had a streak of form for a handful of games where he was really good  . But by the time he came to the Man City game his confidence had gone and Mahrez tore him a new one and had him beat before a ball had even been kicked . I wouldn’t jump to sell him yet put he needs pulling out the side and getting his act together. 

3 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Barring a short spell in the autumn (after he scored at Southampton) he has been consistently one of our weakest players - and invariably THE weakest - since Rodgers took over. Some of his recent performances - v Villa and Southampton at home in January as well as yesterday - have been utterly diabolical.

Conversely he was one of our strongest players in the first half of last season under Puel. And he has almost always looked good for England.

Why? 

Consistency was still an issue last season but there's no doubt that he improved a great deal. He became tidier, used his pace more effectively, and improved a lot defensively - for instance in his ability to win far post aerial battles. You're right to point out that he's been diabolical of late - to a stand-out extent - and has actually been poor for the majority of the season. A look back at threads in the first couple of months of the season is a reminder that this isn't merely a blip. And, if we look at his time with us as a whole, he's been poor for a good deal more of it than not - and youth is no longer much of an excuse. As for England, I can't say I've seen all of his appearances but of the ones I did, I thought he did fine, albeit against weaker opponents.

I don't like talking down our own players, but if I was a neutral I'd have to consider him one of the division's most overrated individuals. He's quick but his distribution, defending and positioning is frequently poor. He appears to lack a bit of character, there have been question marks over his personal commitment to improving (being dropped for missing a session which was designed to address performance issues which were, to no small extent, his own), and he's instinctively negative on the ball. They're not great ingredients and I'd be surprised if clubs are queuing up to pay the sort of fee we'd ask for him because the media has cottoned on to his lousy form. In the meantime, playing him is without question to our own detriment.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Might be time to play our right footed fullback at left back. I believe Justin has played this position previously with some success so the B'ham match might be worth an audition? 

We have two options which, to the best of our knowledge, are very viable. Fuchs has done well this season and Justin has shown promise. There's no apparent excuse for playing someone who is costing us to the extent that Chilwell is.

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Of all the bizarre declines in our player’s ability, Chilwell and Maddison’s are the most inexplicable.

It’s literally like they are totally different players compared to a few months back.

They look devoid of confidence?

Wonder what on earth has gone on at the club for this to happen?

Let’s hope something hasn’t gone on col, Rodgers is the best manager we have had for a while, and if something has gone on, I wouldn’t want to see another manager go, but players.

This is all speculation I know col, but isn’t it strange how we seem to down tools and play shite for half a season.

Guest An Sionnach
7 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

Let’s hope something hasn’t gone on col, Rodgers is the best manager we have had for a while, and if something has gone on, I wouldn’t want to see another manager go, but players.

This is all speculation I know col, but isn’t it strange how we seem to down tools and play shite for half a season.

Thing is the players are all powerful , look at clubs like Inter if the players fall out with the manager , its not the players who get the sack . They know there is always a queue of candidates for the job . Therefore managers have little authority and are often too scared to make difficult decisions.

1 hour ago, Hammo said:

Why? 

Hes ok for England as in Qualifiers he is facing opponents of Championship standard at best.If he retains his place and plays in the latter stages of the Euros,he will then be a liability  for England.He could possibly find his face on the back of the Sun Morphed with a vegatable

Edited by cropstonfox

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Of all the bizarre declines in our player’s ability, Chilwell and Maddison’s are the most inexplicable.

It’s literally like they are totally different players compared to a few months back.

Are you really that surprised though Col? It was the same case last season.

Certain players in our side go through good spells then suddenly they turn shit, it’s always the same suspects too, you could say Chilwell and Maddison top that list.

Chilwell though has been piss poor for the majority of the season, even when we were playing well he was our weakest link, earlier in the season fans wanted Fuchs to start, Chilwell then picked his game up for a few games, then since Christmas period he has gone back to being shit. Even the Chelsea game the other week, some fans said he played well, first half he was garbage, Hudson-Odoi had his pants down numerous times in the opening 20 mins.

Ricardo, Evans, Ndidi and Vardy make this team tick, without those four we’d be mid table fodder.

When the ball goes to Ricky his first touch is always fed... giving him the option to accelerate.   Chilly just puts it in the deck and pauses.

When the ball goes to either then the others should charge into the box knowing 5he ball us coming.

Alternatively we should do like MaN city and Stirling... chilly should put the ball over just inside the far corner of the box for Perez to run onto.  Or Ricky for barnes.

Guest An Sionnach

Its the old England curse , nearly every Leicester player who has been picked and played for England loses club form . They only players in my time who haven't are Shilton and Lineker.  Why? I don't know ,it doesn' t happen to our other internationals.

Edited by An Sionnach

When @Bert said they’d had their heads turned, he wasn’t joking lol 

4 hours ago, Monsell1976 said:

I would snap their hands off if someone offered to pay that, very over rated, delivery poor, defensively gets caught out far to much.

The only reason people rate him is because he’s good on the ball, and breaks  forward at pace, problem is when he gets in a good position 9 times out of 10 he’s clueless as what to do with it, so he stops in his tracks and plays it backwards.

... surely this is down to coaching!! 

Why are the same mistakes being made and he has no answer to it?

I really have my doubts about the managerial team and I suspect Rodgers' will be looking to buy his way out of this debacle next season. 

18 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Thing is the players are all powerful , look at clubs like Inter if the players fall out with the manager , its not the players who get the sack . They know there is always a queue of candidates for the job . Therefore managers have little authority and are often too scared to make difficult decisions.

Sad state of football, but we know all the players who have seen many managers off, would be nice to get rid of the power base.

The owners have been great, but my one criticism is they are friends with the players, and have facilitated the power imbalance, allowing players to go above the manager, straight into the owners ear.

We know they stabbed Claudio in the back, and failed manager after manager, I could really see kasper being the biggest **** with the managers, you can see how he is with refs, and his general arrogants, and is good friends with top 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I would take anything over £25m for him.

Hopefully he'll have a good Euro's to keep the price up.

I really don't like seeing a young player getting all this criticism but if we're going to be a consistent top team we can't carry passengers who make the same basic errors most weeks. Plus our philosophy seems to be to sell a player each summer and he's the one we could claim good money for and find a replacement.

• Like 1

I dont think he will go anywhere in the summer. I think he needs to stay with the club he knows and build his shattered confidence back up. I think a move could be damaging for him as the pressure and expectation from new fans would be immense. I cant see him wanting to go either? He plays with his best mates and seems a really popular member of the team? I would worry if he went others like maddison and the other young players would follow? Him and madders also seem close to vardy.

Edited by Hales

After he got rinsed on the cross he realised that Pukki was unmarked and made a half arsed attempt to get across. 

Had the shot from Lewis not been on target I think Pukki would have turned it in. Ben could have got across him but didn’t bust a gut to do so. 

• Like 2

https://www.spurs-web.com/spurs-news/dele-alli-believes-that-reported-spurs-target-can-become-one-of-the-best-in-the-world/

Dele Alli believes that Leicester City left-back, Ben Chilwell, who is rumoured to be a target for Spurs, has the potential to become one of the best in the world in his position.

The 23-year-old has been one of the most consistent full-backs in the Premier League for the last couple of seasons and has also nailed down a place in the England side as Gareth Southgate’s first-choice left-back.

The Times reported a few days ago that the defender is on Spurs’ wishlist in the summer transfer window, while Manchester City and Chelsea are also said to be courting him.

Spurs currently only have one senior left-back in Ben Davies, while Danny Rose’s long-term future in North London remains uncertain.

YOUR Club's Player's WORST Ever Game
Alli has raved about the Foxes star and named him as one of the four best Premier League players plying their trade outside the Champions League.

Speaking about Chilwell, the Spurs midfielder said in an interview to OTRO: “We’re from the same area, he’s from Milton Keynes too, so I know a lot about him as a player and I’ve always watched him.

“We’re such good friends as well and I think he’s got potential to be one of the best in the world.

“If me and Ben Chilwell were going one-on-one, he may say he will stop me 10 times and I’d say I’d get past him 10 times.”

Spurs Web Opinion

I believe Chilwell will be an excellent replacement for Danny Rose and, given his ability going forward, would prove a fantastic option to have in the squad. However, I believe he is likely to be out of our price range given that the likes of Manchester City and Chelsea are rumoured to be in for him. I will be extremely surprised if we enter the race for the England defender.