Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Have you heard Racist/Sexist/Homophobic Abuse a Football Match?

Haven't heard anything homophobic yet this season, sat in SK3.

Last season I was all over the place in the West Stand. On a few occasions I was sat near groups of 10-12year old kids calling things "Gay" as a derogatory term, but not directed at anyone and just a misguided use of language, so whilst I'd obviously rather it didn't happen it's not a major concern really.

However, on 2 occasions I was sat in the same seat in C1. At both games a group of around 6 on the two rows behind me (few middle aged as well as a couple younger kids) were regularly making comments about Maddison being a "f-ing fairy" and saying that whenever he dived he was doing it with his arse in the air hoping someone... well, you know. Didn't say anything as I couldn't pick out who said it (although several of them were making the comments) and I'm generally non-confrontational anyway (plus was on my own). Probably should've alerted a steward or texted the number or something, but I guess at the time it just felt easier to leave it be.

Edited by Xen

19 hours ago, Izzy said:

And where does being 'Gingerist' fit into all this?

Loads on here call Sean Dyche a Ginger Cvnt and that seems to be perfectly acceptable :dunno:

Spot on 

Being ginger has nothing to do with him being a cvnt

I’ve been told that I’m not fit to load the dishwasher. I was so upset I even thought of asking for a divorce

• Like 1

Remember hearing a bit of racism as a kid, a fan shouting smack the monkey at David Johnson stood out.

Nothing recently though. Although when it's comes to supposed xenophobia and homophobic abuse we will have huge differences in what we regard it as, as already shown in this thread.

I doubt whenever someone really shouts 'get up you poof" it's genuine intent is of being an anti-gay crime in the obvious way "you black so and so" clearly is a reference to skin colour - hence why you wouldn't be prosecuted for the former, but would be in serious trouble for the latter.

Edited by MattP

10 minutes ago, Mickey O'Neil said:

I remember us being racist in Pen 2 in the late 80s (not me personally)

I also remember a bit of a furore being raised only 2 or 3 seasons ago when we had Brighton here

Our fans sang "brown boy in the bath" to Bob Hazell once after he got sent off to the tune of Boney M.

4 hours ago, Xen said:

Haven't heard anything homophobic yet this season, sat in SK3.

Last season I was all over the place in the West Stand. On a few occasions I was sat near groups of 10-12year old kids calling things "Gay" as a derogatory term, but not directed at anyone and just a misguided use of language, so whilst I'd obviously rather it didn't happen it's not a major concern really.

However, on 2 occasions I was sat in the same seat in C1. At both games a group of around 6 on the two rows behind me (few middle aged as well as a couple younger kids) were regularly making comments about Maddison being a "f-ing fairy" and saying that whenever he dived he was doing it with his arse in the air hoping someone... well, you know. Didn't say anything as I couldn't pick out who said it (although several of them were making the comments) and I'm generally non-confrontational anyway (plus was on my own). Probably should've alerted a steward or texted the number or something, but I guess at the time it just felt easier to leave it be.

This reminded me of being at Colchester in 2007 I think and a kid, must've been about 10 years old, shouted "you ****ing shirt-lifter" to a Colchester player lol 

On 20/10/2019 at 22:58, RonnieTodger said:

But it’s using his nationality against him. As Stan said, why does anyone bring it up at all if it’s not relevant? 

I agree that there are much worse things to be called, but it’s pretty stupid all the same. 

I remember distantly hearing someone calling Moses the N-word when he dived against us a few seasons ago. No idea who it was though. 

On 20/10/2019 at 23:29, StanSP said:

I've obviously heard plenty of other abusive/offensive stuff at football, mainly just swear words but as @RonnieTodger said, why does nationality have anything to do with it? 

Any different to calling Rooney a fat ****? Crouch a lanky ****? Singing "where's your caravan" to certain players. 

Find it odd that people have an issue with someone saying the word French and not the fact they called him a ****. lol

I think there is a line in there somewhere where descriptive becomes xenophobic, but I'm not sure that's on the wrong side of it. 

24 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Any different to calling Rooney a fat ****? Crouch a lanky ****? Singing "where's your caravan" to certain players. 

Find it odd that people have an issue with someone saying the word French and not the fact they called him a ****. lol

I think there is a line in there somewhere where descriptive becomes xenophobic, but I'm not sure that's on the wrong side of it. 

They're really bad examples to be honest... but you get what I mean lol

I genuinely can't remember ever hearing any racism in 25 years of attending football matches; though as a white person these sorts of things are never really directed at me and as such my ears aren't so finely tuned to pick this stuff up and commit it to memory. (I also have slight hearing problems too so individual voices in large crowds tend not to stand out).

Controversial question: Is racism more prevalent now than it ever was, or are we now finally giving it the attention required to give it in order to stamp it out?

For example, we're the 4th highest for racist arrests between 2014 and 2018 with 14 according to the Home Office.

Does that mean that we have the 4th most racist fans?

Or does that mean that our fans are more likely than others to report racists to the police, and that our police are doing a better job than others?

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

What is the wrong side of descriptive, where it does become xenophobic, out of interest? 

Edited by StanSP

Sexism yes all the time. At work, at the ground, on here. I'm female and therefore don't understand football according to many. I've been asked where my husband is because I can't be there for the football when I'm at the ground on my own, told I should be at home in the kitchen, asked if I'd be happier at home keeping the bed warm, loads of comments. 

Plenty of posters on here have made it clear in the past that my opinion is inferior because I'm a woman, at least that's the impression I've been given. Sadly it's just a fact of being in a minority, and tbh it doesn't really bother me too much. It has made me keep from posting in the main forum though as much as I would like, but all the best posters are in general chat anyway 😊

• Like 1

50/100 city “fans” singing Ngolo Kante Chant at a little Black Barman in a spoons in Watford back in 2015/16 

the poor Guy was horrified and quite shocked to be singled out , they then started patting him on head and really making him feel awkward 

banter to some inbreds, racism to us that went to school to learn 

• Like 1

I remember being in pen 3 for the first game of the season 92/93 I think?We were playing Luton.They had 2 black lads standing in pen1 minding their own business.For some reason a big chunk of the crowd started giving them dogs abuse.Pretty nasty racist chants.I think the poor guys had to leave the ground.

One of my best friends who is African Asian heritage used to get a bit of gip.That was fairly annoying.I did think things had improved but I’m perhaps wrong.

8 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

I genuinely can't remember ever hearing any racism in 25 years of attending football matches; though as a white person these sorts of things are never really directed at me and as such my ears aren't so finely tuned to pick this stuff up and commit it to memory. (I also have slight hearing problems too so individual voices in large crowds tend not to stand out).

Controversial question: Is racism more prevalent now than it ever was, or are we now finally giving it the attention required to give it in order to stamp it out?

For example, we're the 4th highest for racist arrests between 2014 and 2018 with 14 according to the Home Office.

Does that mean that we have the 4th most racist fans?

Or does that mean that our fans are more likely than others to report racists to the police, and that our police are doing a better job than others?

Was talking abiut this with my dad the other day.  Is it solely a case that racism is becoming more prevalent or is it a case that people are taking a stand, being more aware of it and subsequently reporting it more? 

Honestly think there may be an increase, but people are more aware and reporting it more.  

Patrice Evra made a good point yesterday. It all centralises on education.  If a kid is brought up around a racist family, then they'll grow up to be racist. Unless they're taught its wrong at school and educated. 

6 hours ago, StanSP said:

What is the wrong side of descriptive, where it does become xenophobic, out of interest? 

for me it’d be when the “descriptive” word is the offensive part of the comment. if he called him a stupid little frog then fair play that might offend some french people. if you called someone welsh a sheep shagger, might get offended. simply calling him french isn’t really that offensive. 

all just personal opinion though i guess. that’s just how i’d view it. if someone called me a scouse c unt (happens a lot, surprisingly) id be more focussed on being a c unt. if someone listed a load of scouse stereotypes then i’d say it’s them being the cu nt.