Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Watford 2-0 Post Match Thread

LeSaux saying it was Vardys step before going over that makes it not a pen. It was momentum that took him over as he was already off balance unlike Marne who takes a step fully upright then falls down but gets the decision. Second pen was a bit soft but deffo a foul. Maybe a wee bit of evening up from Pawson there.

• Like 1

Love the win, love the tenacity, love that we finally got the 2nd goal. This team is cruising right now, and we are 15 f'ing points ahead of Spurs, 14 ahead of MU, 16 ahead of Arsenal though they have played one fewer game obv. We really need these points and we are getting these points, teams may catch-up a bit when we go MC/Liverpool later this month, though I like us to beat Liverpool as many of us do. We really need to beat Man U at home, I seriously hate that side.

Some thoughts that sound like complaints but are really just things I noticed. 

- I think we pretty clearly have an opportunity to upgrade at RW. Perez is not getting quality shots on goal despite terrific opportunities, it should've been 2-0 after about 10 minutes. Man, that one he skied over the crossbar, JFC. 

- James Justin* (not Jordan oops) looks a bit slow. Perhaps I am just used to watching Barnes race down the sideline, plus their RB looked pretty quick, so maybe it was an optical illusion of sorts. 

- Can Praet do a job for Maddison or Tielemans? I thought that was why we brought him to the squad, but he looks a bit more like Ndidi to me, plus we already have plenty of DMs.

- When Soyuncu went down, I was imagining a Wes/Evans pairing at CB, IDK about that TBH. We really need a credible back-up CB with some speed left in him in the January window. Seems to be the primary priority for January, though I still think we should find a real RW as well. We should get a chance to see more of Iheanacho this month, we can see how big a need a back-up striker is. Def when I saw Vards limping I was concerned. 

Amazing winning streak, Foxes. We may need to be a bit sharper vs. Villa, they are playing well at home.

Edited by vanity
  • Like 3

Barnes is fking class until he gets into a shooting position then he’s wank, Fuchs great defensively but we missed chilwells attacking threat, jj looked good when he came on. Not a great performance again but it’s 3 points ok the board, almost 40 points:ph34r: also doucoure was amazing and looks a more than capable ndidi replacement if he were to force a move

Watford were definitely the worst side we've played - 11 men behind the ball and never even tried to counter-attack efen towards the end.

It was like they just wanted to concede as few as possible but were happy to keep their score at nil.

We did ok. Some of our players desperately need a rest though - Tielemans and Perez especially - and we really need to rotate a bit against Norwich.

Have stood up for Perez on here but did think he was a bit off it tonight. missed a sitter early doors and that seemed to effect him. TBF he was not the only one, Youri looked tired, Madders a bit quiet too first half. Not sure how much it was down to them being organised to frustrate us or just us being a bit lacklustre. Main thing is we kept at it and you could see us breaking through eventually

18 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

Succession planning ahead of time with Justin for Ricardo like we did with Soyuncu and Maguire - excellent PL debut for him.

I'd like to think Justin will have an excellent future.  But there will be no replacing of Ricardo; better to keep him if we possibly can.  He's absolutely elite.

• Like 4

Last Two matches a bit Laborious. Looks like that's going to be the usual pack the midfield tactic used against us by weaker teams. So I better get used to it.

James Justin is going to be some player. With every touch he became faster and more confident. Another three points. Next.

3 minutes ago, Master Fox said:

Felt like a training match. We hardly got out of 2nd gear. Piece of piss 

I honestly don't think we had much more to give.

It was a frustrating game with many misplaced passes, poor shots, slips and interruptions in play.

We needed a 'lucky' break to get the opener - I say lucky as it was a clear pen first half - but once we did, we didn't put them to bed.
It's all about recharging the batteries and getting ready for Villa - this month is a test of endurance and persistance.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Make no bones about it, we are the real deal. This is the best young side we’ve possibly ever had.

At no point whatsoever tonight did I think we’d do anything other than win. It was a matter of time.

Same, especially the 1H, I was shocked we got nothing, we were decisive and penetrating, just didn't find the finish, while Watford offered no threat until around the 45th minute. 

That game proved we need a winger in January.

First half was boring. Second half was decent and we controlled the game.

Defence were solid, Wilf was good again.

However our wingers really need to improve, Perez taken off early again, Barnes terrorised Femenia but his end product was poor.

Don't get this tired stuff, Liverpool rarely change there team, play much more intense football and play more matches and they seemed perfectly energetic tonight.

Perez looked like he lacked confidence.  Tielemens was not on form.  Other then Justin none of the subs really made an impact.

Overall though a good win with clean sheet

2 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Don't get this tired stuff, Liverpool rarely change there team, play much more intense football and play more matches and they seemed perfectly energetic tonight.

Perez looked like he lacked confidence.  Tielemens was not on form.  Other then Justin none of the subs really made an impact.

They have had some close matches though and not looked as prolific as they have done tonight... you can’t be like that every game, it is about finding the win when it is hard 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

1 minute ago, Dr The Singh said:

Liverpool made a couple of changes tonight but I get your point, Perez and Barnes both should have scored and it would of done Perez the world of good to score at home, Barnes was class and he’ll be a regular scorer soon.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Last Two matches a bit Laborious. Looks like that's going to be the usual pack the midfield tactic used against us by weaker teams. So I better get used to it.

Yeah I was going to mention this. We are going to see this type of game and performance more and more often at the KP. Whilst it lacks that cavalier style slick football that we love to see, the fact is we are beating teams consistently now that park the bus. In previous years, Cardiff, Southampton, Newcastle et all have all done us over on our home patch. These days I feel like we win those sort of games by eventually making an opening. This is the best thing Rodgers has done for us, he has successfully completed the transition between being a pure counter attacking team into a truly balanced one. We can still counter very well, but if other teams say "here you have the ball" we can now say "cheers lads we will have it and make you pay."

The fact that even Arsenal showed up with the bus parked between their goal line shows you how much respect the rest of the league gives us. But so far with just two defeats and none at home, we can deal with it. I would say that so far only Wolves at the very start of the season got something playing this way, and they were already playing their 5th game of the season at that point, as well as arguably being the best counter attacking team in the division.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, vanity said:

Love the win, love the tenacity, love that we finally got the 2nd goal. This team is cruising right now, and we are 15 f'ing points ahead of Spurs, 14 ahead of MU, 16 ahead of Arsenal though they have played one fewer game obv. We really need these points and we are getting these points, teams may catch-up a bit when we go MC/Liverpool later this month, though I like us to beat Liverpool as many of us do. We really need to beat Man U at home, I seriously hate that side.

Some thoughts that sound like complaints but are really just things I noticed. 

- I think we pretty clearly have an opportunity to upgrade at RW. Perez is not getting quality shots on goal despite terrific opportunities, it should've been 2-0 after about 10 minutes. Man, that one he skied over the crossbar, JFC. 

- James Jordan looks a bit slow. Perhaps I am just used to watching Barnes race down the sideline, plus their RB looked pretty quick, so maybe it was an optical illusion of sorts. 

- Can Praet do a job for Maddison or Tielemans? I thought that was why we brought him to the squad, but he looks a bit more like Ndidi to me, plus we already have plenty of DMs.

- When Soyuncu went down, I was imagining a Wes/Evans pairing at CB, IDK about that TBH. We really need a credible back-up CB with some speed left in him in the January window. Seems to be the primary priority for January, though I still think we should find a real RW as well. We should get a chance to see more of Iheanacho this month, we can see how big a need a back-up striker is. Def when I saw Vards limping I was concerned. 

Amazing winning streak, Foxes. We may need to be a bit sharper vs. Villa, they are playing well at home.

Some good points but whos James Jordan?

• Haha 1

Just now, foxes_rule1978 said:

They have had some close matches though and not looked as prolific as they have done tonight... you can’t be like that every game, it is about finding the win when it is hard 

But they (Liverpool) never looked tired, I just think tiredness is an excuse.

Playing poor and winning isn't a bad thing, when you can majority of the time play well and win

3 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I honestly can't believe we've only conceded 9 goals this season so far. If it weren't for a trip to Man City we would have been in with a good chance of making in to Xmas having conceded single figures. Crazy.

How’s our 0-3 win there going to affect that?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1