Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Watford 2-0 Post Match Thread

Tough game today. 

Watford came for a draw, opened up when we scored out first, weren't good enough to properly threaten us then we sucker-punched them with the 2nd goal. Their players were utterly drained after that. 

We ground it out though. Liverpool get credit for grinding out wins when they don't play well and I think we deserve the same credit after the last 2 games. Our second half of games is really encouraging in terms of never stopping or taking things for granted. Another late goal for us and another clean sheet. 

Rodgers responded well to tactical challenges. Packing the midfield when he saw we were perhaps getting overrun and their players became a bit free. Pereira pushing up forward and helping us control the game again. 

It wasn't pretty today but the job got done! 3 more points, maintaining the gap to 5th, Vardy still scoring. Happy days! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Don't get this tired stuff, Liverpool rarely change there team, play much more intense football and play more matches and they seemed perfectly energetic tonight.

Perez looked like he lacked confidence.  Tielemens was not on form.  Other then Justin none of the subs really made an impact.

Overall though a good win with clean sheet

What are you on about?

Liverpool rested several key players today and have rotated players the past few games now the fixtures are starting to pile up.

They were happy to leave Salah and Firminho on the bench today to give them a rest.

• Like 1

Got back, bloody cold and looked a bit out of sorts again but had enough to beat Watford in second gear.

Watford are in serious trouble if that's their best.

Did not realise it was the Riders with their third straight title? at half time due to not being able to understand the Birch.

1 minute ago, Richard said:

The penalty that was given was definitely not a pen, we’d have been fuming if that was against us. However the “dive” Vardy was booked for was stonewall and how VAR didn’t overturn it I don’t know 

Two words basically that can’t undo either decision with any conviction....

CLEAR & OBVIOUS 

🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Sampson said:

What are you on about?

Liverpool rested several key players today and have rotated players the past few games now the fixtures are starting to pile up.

They were happy to leave Salah and Firminho on the bench today to give them a rest.

So up until today they rested some players but there players played how many more matches then us....that's what I'm on about.  Do the maths son.

Yet Vardy, a 33 year old striker runs like a 22 year old for 90 mins today and majority of the season, and our fans are saying we're tired, is :S.  That's what I'm saying

5 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Two words basically that can’t undo either decision with any conviction....

CLEAR & OBVIOUS 

🤷‍♂️

I think they couldn't overturn it because he already given Vardy and yellow and yellows can't be overturned is that right? and you wouldn't be able to give a peno and still allow vardy to have a yellow and yellows can't be overturned? 

either way the system is flawed

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

I think they couldn't overturn it because he already given Vardy and yellow and yellows can't be overturned is that right? and you wouldn't be able to give a peno and still allow vardy to have a yellow and yellows can't be overturned? 

You can as it was a penalty incident. If the decision was wrong the yellow card can be reversed.

26 minutes ago, vanity said:

Love the win, love the tenacity, love that we finally got the 2nd goal. This team is cruising right now, and we are 15 f'ing points ahead of Spurs, 14 ahead of MU, 16 ahead of Arsenal though they have played one fewer game obv. We really need these points and we are getting these points, teams may catch-up a bit when we go MC/Liverpool later this month, though I like us to beat Liverpool as many of us do. We really need to beat Man U at home, I seriously hate that side.

Some thoughts that sound like complaints but are really just things I noticed. 

- I think we pretty clearly have an opportunity to upgrade at RW. Perez is not getting quality shots on goal despite terrific opportunities, it should've been 2-0 after about 10 minutes. Man, that one he skied over the crossbar, JFC. 

- James Justin* (not Jordan oops) looks a bit slow. Perhaps I am just used to watching Barnes race down the sideline, plus their RB looked pretty quick, so maybe it was an optical illusion of sorts. 

- Can Praet do a job for Maddison or Tielemans? I thought that was why we brought him to the squad, but he looks a bit more like Ndidi to me, plus we already have plenty of DMs.

- When Soyuncu went down, I was imagining a Wes/Evans pairing at CB, IDK about that TBH. We really need a credible back-up CB with some speed left in him in the January window. Seems to be the primary priority for January, though I still think we should find a real RW as well. We should get a chance to see more of Iheanacho this month, we can see how big a need a back-up striker is. Def when I saw Vards limping I was concerned. 

Amazing winning streak, Foxes. We may need to be a bit sharper vs. Villa, they are playing well at home.W

We excuse Vardy,for his lapses and missed chances,lets give Perez some slack....Not half a season at the club...bis allround Play is very good.

At least in his last games,he has had the earlier goal chances...through some Good football...

That doesn t mean,he should always get the nod in the Coming games...Trying Vardy & Nacho should become an easy option.Build up Nachos game & confidence.  A Player in game rythme,is a better Choice than a rushed one..!!

That was a bit of a slog, but once we got the breakthrough there was no doubt we’d see it through. Looked leggy at times, we are going to have to rotate over the coming weeks for sure. These grind it out games are going to be more frequent over the next few weeks, and we are going to have to be patient. We’ll have to be sharper at Villa Park for sure. I thought JJ did really well on his league debut. 7 wins on the spin is fantastic, if we can continue this up to meeting Man City and Liverpool we’ll have done incredibly. Festive fixtures are looking massive 

The officiating was poor tonight, especially in terms of consistency. Watford committed 16 fouls, only receiving a booking for 1 tackle, the other kicking the ball away. 

The number of times Hughes etc stopped an attack via a foul and wasn't punished was ridiculous.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Didn’t Wilfred zaha get a yellow card for a dive against arsenal,

which was overturned and the yellow card recinded 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Pretty much the point i was making earlier. VAR cannot change a decision on a yellow card, even if it is a second and therefore a sending off. it can be used only for straight reds. So it was suggested that if VAR gave the pen then that would rescind the card but i think not. once given VAR cannot change that so we would have had the situation were the pen was given for a clear and obvious error but the yellow would have still stood. There is no way that VAR which is run by refs would let any of their mates be put in that situation so hence pen not given. I think this point has to be clarified. Many purported that Mane pen at Anfield should have been overturned and that he be booked for diving. Even had the pen not been given VAR could not result in a yellow card being given as the only decision it could change was whether or not the ref was right to award the pen itself. I will be happy to be corrected in this but am pretty certain this is the case

• Like 1

Guest Eamonn
1 hour ago, Blanchflower78 said:

We looked jaded tonight, no tempo. Tielemens and Perez particularly off it. Watford were game without threatening, need to regain our tempo for Villa which wont be easy. 

They'd had 2 more days to recover since their last game.