Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Villa Match Thread

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

Very interesting. Hope to see Harvey and/or Demarai at some point!

Both Barnes and Gray is might end up playing up top coming on as a sub for Nacho. When we played 442 Diamond at the end of the Spurs game and against Sheffield United, Barnes was up top with Vardy for large periods.

Or of course if the system is totally pants, we can go back to the 4141 that has worked so well for us.

Rodgers is really good tactically. Going 352 against Everton won us the game, and 442 Diamond versus Spurs also won it, despite playing quite well before changing. So I am hoping he's seen something specific about Villa that he things we can exploit with the system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nervous about this one. Aston Villa are a good team. Still, I think the diamond, in theory, should suit us with our talented midfielders and flying fullbacks.

Super excited for Dennis and Nacho. Happy to see what they can do.

C'mon Leicester!

Guest BlueBrett

Very interesting. Looking forward to seeing how this lineup/formation gets on in what's sure to be a tough game. We have a fk ton of width and pace on the bench to change things up second half if need be but I have faith Maddison can pull the strings and create enough chances for our front 2. We will have better balance and despite the narrow midfield potentially equal threat from wide as vs Watford with Chilwell coming back into the side anyway.

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Yep that could be the logic behind the move. This is deliberate so there has to be something in it. Villa however, do not play a diamond as sometimes that is one reason to pic kit - to mirror the opposition system.

Appreciate the worries from some on here, but I can tell you now that Praet was very specifically signed so that we had the option to play a diamond formation if we wanted to. At Sampdoria last season they played a diamond and statistically he was one of the most creative players in that league in that system. At Liverpool he also used the system many times. Usually the system means a bit less possession but more of a direct goal threat. On paper that sounds good against a team who has just come up from the Championship.

Will it work out today? Can't say until we see it in action! But Nacho was electric against Everton and Praet usually impresses when he plays, even if he was a bit lackluster against Watford when coming on.

I don’t think we need to change formation to neutralise McGinn/Grealish. Could have just played Praet instead of Tielemans or Maddison and maybe bring Albrighton in. Or even Gray, who does track back tbf & would help force Grealish backwards to defend (Grealish has been playing LW if i recall correctly).

4-1-4-1 is just so key for me, but lets see how it plays out.

• Like 1

Doubt whether any of us would have picked that team but Rodgers watches them train and, let’s be honest. Perez and Barnes have not done the business of late. Bit of a gamble, definitely, but let’s hope it’s another tactical master stroke from The Magician.

• Like 1

When are we going to see Benko on the bench?  He was described as the next VVD during his time at Chris Sutton’s Celtic, yet cannot edge out a 36 year old veteran. Something very strange.

8 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

I'd ****ing love that rumble pal. 

Best mate is villa, I'd love to absolutely ruin them today.

I'll gladly make a pact with any evil entity that may be watching over my life to make it happen. If you're listening Pazuzu, can we make a deal? X 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

Not necessarily a diamond, with the midfielders we have it could easily be a straight 442, the normal 4141 or a narrow 433, or 4132! 

We’ll see a mix of a few today I think, Brendan likes it nice + fluid and flexible.

Edited by TJB-fox