Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mendi

Title Race

Ordinarily, after 16 games, the league leaders will probably have dropped 5-7 points- a defeat and a couple of draws, or maybe three draws. This is the second time (I think) that a team has won 15 out of 16 (Man City two years ago being the other one). We are chasing a formidable team and relying on them to lose more games than they've done in the last 60 or so.

We should both win next week, then they don't play. We are at Man City, the next hardest match, before we have a chance to affect Liverpool directly by playing them. If we can somehow get six points from those two, even with Liverpool's game in hand, we're much closer and with even more momentum given the teams we'll have beaten. But it is a serious ask.

We're in a race because we're the closest but still a long way behind and the odds still stacked against us. Until we see Liverpool have a sustained difficult run (three or so without a win), I can't see them faltering enough to let us or anyone in.

• Like 1

Without having read this entire thread.... my take.

We dropped points in the first couple of games this season. That was our dip in form.

Liverpool look like they could drop points at any given time (Palace disallowed goal, conceding two against Everton (yes I know the score)).

We could easily go into the Liverpool game 5 points behind with good old nige doing us a favour.

Remember Liv have Champs league and club world cup during a congested period. Yes the West Ham game has been postponed - but that will be a midweek game at some point. They will not last.

• Like 1

People are saying the title is out of our hands and mathematically, yes it is, but given how well we are playing right now it is not beyond the realms of possibility that we could win our next three league games.

Obviously it’s a massive massive ask given that we have Man City away and Liverpool at home after Norwich, but if we did win all three - and assuming Liverpool beat Watford - we would be just TWO points behind Liverpool at 10 o’clock on Boxing Day night.

Yes, they would still have a game in hand (away to West Ham), but just think of the pressure they would be feeling then. The nerves would really start to kick in - just as they did last season when they threw away that big lead.

Believe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Be just like us to get beaten by Norwich then go and put 4 past Man city, beat Liverpool and still be no closer to them. Its the Leicester way. As said by many others its a title race until the maths say otherwise but we would need to break all sorts of records and Liverpool to go on a losing streak the likes of which they have not done for the last couple of years. But what if the fates were kind, and we go into the new year only 2 points behind? Then all bets would be off. OK so we would still be chasing but it would be like last season all over again with them sneaking ahead only to be pulled back by MCFC each time they played later except we would be the ones chasing and them having to win to keep their noses in front. I wonder what psychological effect that would have on them in the final weeks?

1 hour ago, Hammo said:

People are saying the title is out of our hands and mathematically, yes it is, but given how well we are playing right now it is not beyond the realms of possibility that we could win our next three league games.

Obviously it’s a massive massive ask given that we have Man City away and Liverpool at home after Norwich, but if we did win all three - and assuming Liverpool beat Watford - we would be just TWO points behind Liverpool at 10 o’clock on Boxing Day night.

Yes, they would still have a game in hand (away to West Ham), but just think of the pressure they would be feeling then. The nerves would really start to kick in - just as they did last season when they threw away that big lead.

Believe.

Liverpool were 7pts clear last season and the blew it....

Once bottlers.... always bottlers.

• Like 3

I think there's a lot to be said for the mental aspect of their streak. Currently, when teams go down a goal, especially early in a game, they are mentally disheartened and play right into Liverpool's capable hands as the ones chasing a game. Someone needs to blood their nose and eek out a win (or if they play not a very good team, a draw will suffice) - then I think we start seeing cracks, in both the player's mentalities and their very nervy crowd (it's a fanbase which feels very snakebitten since the Gerrard slip, if not before), as well as opponents having new found belief in their own ability to be giant killers. They've got a tough run in mid-January of Spurs, United and Wolves if the gap was only 5 points in the new year and we had beaten them, how would it change those teams performances and desire to play spoiler? What if you couple that with the unthinkable like a loss to Watford?

Basically anything to get the pundit's to start questioning the certainty of the coronation. We may not see this in December (pretty much requires us to win), but by mid-January if the gap has not grown, the pressure will rise (for lack of better stories). There's a long way to go still and we've got our own challenges to rise to the occasion, but it's not over yet.

Edited by knitro
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, urban fox said:

Be just like us to get beaten by Norwich then go and put 4 past Man city, beat Liverpool and still be no closer to them. Its the Leicester way.

I don't wish to pick a fight with you, Urban, but this just isn't true.

Edited by HighPeakFox
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

We are most definitely in a title race, please let’s not overate Liverpool they are a good team but They are not unstoppable. 8 points is not a huge gap. Liverpool are beating the teams they are expected to beat so far. They do have to play better teams soon, ie us, Wolves. The season is not over! Believe!!!!

Champions League football and a cup would still be a stellar and amazing season, if we win the title it will be simply amazing! 

You are looking at it way too simple though.

They have won every game barring one draw, that is insane.

Check their last 50 games.

Mathematically we are in it, realistically we are not.  Of course the team should still aim to win every game one game at a time which is what we doing, I am sure Brendan tells them our target is top 4.

Liverpool this season have beaten Man City, ourselves, Chelsea, so not sure what you meant about not having played tougher teams yet.

• Like 1

I think Liverpool just don’t look like dropping points.

We can say ‘they might drop here, might drop points there’ but they are 8 clear!

We have to win maybe 15 in a row to get ahead of them on ‘average’.

We are playing unbelievably well and in 90% of premier league seasons we would win the league but we are unlucky to be against one of the best 3/4 teams in premiership history(Chelsea 04-06, Utd 06-09, City 17-19).

I hope I’m wrong but the most likely outcome will be us failing to beat City and Liverpool increasing there lead, then we play Liverpool needing a win ‘just to stay alive’ and Liverpool play confidently and win/draw at the King Power and effectively ending it.

I hope I’m wrong and we go into Liverpool game 5 behind and beat them. Then it’ll be interesting just to see how they react..if we draw vs Liverpool at home we would still have an outside chance to make it slightly interesting.

City away will be a huge test. If we do win there it will really show a statement and Liverpool will then go into our game with more pressure knowing they can’t afford to lose now and that creates nerves.

If we beat City we can afford to draw Liverpool and just about stay in the race, also if we draw city but beat Liverpool same thing. We probably need to win all 3 but drawing 1 of those we stay abouts in there. Can not afford a loss or 2 draws or its over.

Either way top 2 and a league cup would be a great achievement.

This might sound crazy but now Brendan is tied down, if we do get top 4 and have CL football, with this squad and coach in charge, I’d back us to maybe fight for title and CL next season!

If we can keep the squad together and add a few we would have a real chance.

I don't think a draw is any good against Liverpool, a loss to City and beat Liverpool would be better, win them both and we are for sure at the races, but first no slip up with Norwich is needed.

Edited by treer

On 09/12/2019 at 08:42, leicesterlad1989 said:

I don't think any Leicester fan needs to overate Liverpool. The stats back up how amazing Liverpool have been for the last season and a half. In any normal season, they would have walked to the title last year but they were up against a margainly better Man City team. As for beating teams they are expected to beat; I've also seen people arguing that we have beat teams we should be beating in our 8 match winning run. Despite sounding negative, I will still continuing dreaming that we can win it again. This next month is crucial. If Liverpool get through it unscathed, I just can't see them dropping enough points..

I'm dreaming too. But the more they think they've won it the better. Put the red ribbons on the trophy and take it to Anfield today. Congratulate them now. It can only help City.

3 hours ago, demon_dog said:

Imagine this scenario. 

Final game of the season and we have to win to take the title. 

Would our opposition let us?

Ha, Ha, probably. 🤭

Probably.  But the opposition the week before wouldn't. ..

15 hours ago, Hammo said:

Believe.

Just imagine if liverpool only managed a draw against Watford and we win our next three to go top on Boxing Day. :D

• Like 1