Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mendi

Title Race

The fact we have won 8 on the spin and still 8 points behind Liverpool shows how mental they are. They are on course for smashing the highest points total in history and we could win 30 games on the spin and still be 5 points behind them. I am in awe of how good we have been this season and game by game I hope that continues. However, i'm not even entertaining any notion of being in this title race, Liverpool have only themselves to trip them up, we'll just keep smashing the shit out of anything in our way and see what happens. A top 4 finish is very much a realistic outcome and so could another 80+ point total which is astonishing for us.

• Like 4

If this was the 5000 metres in the Olympics, I'm quite happy tucked in behind them as they stretch their legs out in front. We just need to make sure we keep ahead of the rest to try and get our hands on the silver medal (to continue the running analogy). They're nailed on to win the Gold, they should not be our focus and actually the big gap means we're playing without the pressure.

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The fact we have won 8 on the spin and still 8 points behind Liverpool shows how mental they are. They are on course for smashing the highest points total in history and we could win 30 games on the spin and still be 5 points behind them. I am in awe of how good we have been this season and game by game I hope that continues. However, i'm not even entertaining any notion of being in this title race, Liverpool have only themselves to trip them up, we'll just keep smashing the shit out of anything in our way and see what happens. A top 4 finish is very much a realistic outcome and so could another 80+ point total which is astonishing for us.

This is a big point.

Plenty of press about Manchester City etc failing. Liverpool are 46 points from 48 points - it's incredible. Being second to that is incredible. Sometimes you just have to say fair play that's expectational form. 

7 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

For clarity, because the maths seems to have caused a little confusion.

Had we won at Anfield (and all the results since remained the same, which of course they wouldn't have done, because butterflies get involved in such situations), then the gap would now be 2 points (we'd have 3 more, they'd have 3 fewer).

Should we win against 'pool on Boxing Day, however, we only make up 3 points. 

So you're saying it's a real six-pointer?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SheppyFox said:

You are of course right, they aren’t really crap but my main point is looking at a combined 11 I’d say we have a majority and Klopp is getting a lot more out of that squad than he should be. In theory it’s Klopp getting the results, not their players. 

Alisson

Alexander-Arnold

Van Dijk

Evans

Robertson

Ndidi

Wijnaldum

Maddison

Salah

Vardy

Mane

Personally make it 7-4 in Liverpool's favour. Obviously it's unbelievably tight with the likes of Alexander-Arnold/Ricardo, Fabinho/Ndidi, Robertson/Chilwell and Wijnaldum/Tielemans.

• Like 2

I think the high press game implimented by Klopp does sometimes have an effect on his teams in the second half of the seasons. I still think Liverpool win the title with relative ease if not for the fact that they have had such a strong start. But a part of me thinks that things could fall apart a little bit once the pressure truly sits in and their legs start to get tired from the months and months of high tempo pressing. 

Pressure does funny things to people, if we win against Norwich and Man City (a BIG IF), due to Liverpool only playing 1 game in that time we are suddenly within 5 points. Beat them at the King Power that's cut a 8 point lead to 2 points, even with them having a game in hand, they will feel the pressure of being reeled in. 

27 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Alisson

Alexander-Arnold

Van Dijk

Evans

Robertson

Ndidi

Wijnaldum

Maddison

Salah

Vardy

Mane

Personally make it 7-4 in Liverpool's favour. Obviously it's unbelievably tight with the likes of Alexander-Arnold/Ricardo, Fabinho/Ndidi, Robertson/Chilwell and Wijnaldum/Tielemans.

Ricardo has to be in there

• Like 1

4 hours ago, filbertway said:

The collapse starts this week!

Salzburg L

Watford D

Villa L

I would rather have....

Salzburg W

Watford L.....(do a Leicester of the 70s on them)

Villa W

The 2 wins will Keep them further occupied and will "Need" to use their squad rotation...!!!

Probably best to redress this thread on Boxing Day evening.

While we're not without a chance but we need everything to go right for us. We'll probably need to beat them on Boxing Day and we'll need to keep up this pace while they falter. I don't feel we're quite in a title race just yet and in little over two weeks it could all be over for us anyway.

They can afford to slip up, we can't. I'd me happy now to be still 14 pts clear of 4th and in the SF of the League Cup whilst out of the title race come New Year's Day. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

The last 8 games have been the best in our football clubs history. A remarkable achievement for everyone involved but during that period we haven't gained a single point on Liverpool. In fact over the last nine games we have lost 3 points to them.

That should tell you how hard it will be to get into and stay in a proper title race this year. Liverpool could have a bad wobble you never know but form over the last 18 months and common sense would suggest it's going to be a bit to hard to seriously challenge this season.

I reckon all of us,know this. Plus the other practible,Sensible, Logical posts....!!! Plus like Now we look up towards  L'pool, we can assume Manutd,Chelsea,Spurs Fans will be calculating, the Losing ...'what ifs'. on the Leicester fixtures..

But hey-ho, we are fans and why Not Chase and dream,so long as the Maths say  otherwise...In fact its our duty,to dream und not to follow logic....

being fearfull, & ending up blearey-eyed,we have the experience,so we can take the pain...!!! Unlike MC & L'pool we dont feel we have to....

And we all like gravy...:scarf:

Edited by fuchsntf

16 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

According the press and pundits we aren't... we're just a team sitting second that's all. 

They just don't want anyone spoiling Liverpool's party. 

16 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

If Leicester did achieve the impossible again, I don't think we will get the hype in media we got in 2016, I think more of a case of the tabloids sympthasing with Liverpool... making we stole their trophy and it was another fluke year for Leicester. 

You worry far to much about what others think.

If we just keep playing the way we are we are going to be there or there abouts. It goes without saying that the ManCity and Liverpool games are now huge if we have ambitions of the title, but even if we lose them its not  a disaster - finishng in the top 4, preferably top 3 is an amazing acheivement 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Meat and 2 veg said:

Ricardo has to be in there

I think it's a case of Trent suiting Liverpool and Ricardo suiting Leicester.

Both absolutely world class and probably only behind Josh Kimmich in terms of the best right backs in the world.

Hard to argue with a right back that has 18 assists since the start of last season though. Phenomenal stats.

17 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

I have a dream.

That on the final day of the season, needing to beat Man Utd 1-0 to win the title, and Liverpool needing to win away at Newcastle 17-4 to stay in the title race, Leicester City kick off, and the United players, under instruction of new manager Duncan Ferguson, decide to sit on the ground rather than actually play.

Leicester City go on to win the Premier League again, Klopp finds himself living on the streets after Brendan Rodgers evicts him, and at the end of the match there's a surprise performance by Kasabian featuring Mark Morrison and Andrea Bocelli, singing You'll Never Walk Alone.

Soyuncu wins the Ballon d'Or while Mane wins the Fallon f'Loor.

And there was much rejoicing.

And Mr Sutton ? what do you think he would have to say ?

8 hours ago, browniefox said:

No way on this earth does Klopp let them relax and think they've won it. They will go the distance this year, I really hope I'm wrong but can't see it. This Liverpool team is absolutely fantastic, a different beast. 

Agreed that Klopp wouldn't let them think that way, but they must be thinking like that subconsciously. Their main rivals at the start of the season were Man City and they are 14 points in front of them currently.

It's really human nature really that when you are so far ahead in anything, very few people will keep the intensity up to keep going at the same rate. I think they will do things like rotate the squad, rest important players and maybe change tactics as well. Hopefully a bad result follows and the momentum they've built evaporates. I'm encouraged by their squad rotation the last few games because whilst they've picked up results, I think continuing that will be their downfall and upset the rhythm when the main men go back in.