Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mendi

Title Race

3 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

I can’t let myself get hyped up on an 8 point gap when we’ve laughed at Spurs fans over 5 point gaps. If we can comfortably get Champions League football along with a couple of good cup runs, that would be a ridiculously good season.

If the gap changes or if Liverpool slip, then maybe, but we also have to be perfect which I can’t see happening. 

I’ve been saying recently that I don’t think there’s much of a chance we can win it. 

However... let’s say Liverpool lose over the Xmas glut and we beat them too. As soon as we’re within touching distance of them it becomes punch for punch. If we catch them, there will be huge pressure on them and it becomes a completely different dynamic. 

• Like 1

My biggest concern keeping Vardy fit... of course we have an amazing squad at there's few individuals capable of a goal or two but I do wonder if anything happened to him where would most of goals come from how would it affect the team mentailly? Me If we are going to consider ourselves title contenders maybe bringing in another option wouldn't be a bad idea. 

• Like 1

Not even concerned by it and don’t want to be. Ranieri played a blinder with his target setting, 40 points, Europe, champions league and then title. We are still needing to achieve the first target and then we can move onto the next one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Liverpool are an absolute class act and are so strong that I haven’t even thought about the title. It’s absolutely theirs to lose and I can’t see them doing that. 

I’m just enjoying this year, we’re playing fantastic stuff and our club is in a fantastic place right now. No point getting caught up in the race for the title or top 4, let the ‘big six’ get on with that. Extremely happy for us to continue to progress under the radar.

29 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

My Wednesday supporting mate has placed a fair bet on us winning…. He won in 15/16 and seems fairly convinced…

I can’t be bothered to even contemplate it

Given that we are second, I guess we are the closest thing to be challengers in the league (Liverpool aside of course !)

He only supports City on a Wednesday?

• Haha 1

Truth is, that we are in a title race but the media still believe that Man City are the only ones who can stop Liverpool. They will never consider us to be challengers unless we are ahead with 5 games to go. 

All I've heard is how good Leicester are to be this high up in the league, but no mention of us being able to win the league. 8 point lead that Liverpool have could quickly become 5 if we beat them and a draw and a defeat for them more than us will see us in the lead. 

Obviously it's not an easy thing for them to drop too many points and secondly for us to keep winning. But we are in the title race as an 8 point lead with not even half the season played is no way near irreversible. 

I think Liverpool players probably unconsciously think with Man City miles away from them, they've pretty much done the hard work. That mentality will hopefully see them relax in games more and drop points in important games. Then to lose momentum and that ruthlessness, hopefully is our chance to close the gap. 

At the end of the day, I want us to win the league ofc, but I'm just so pleased at how we are doing and if we don't do it then so be it. 

If we are to win the league it will be preferable that we not expected to, less pressure on the players, so there is a perk to this.  I would rather win the title with everyone acting like it came out of the blue, instead of been considered contenders for most of season and then not winning it.

As far as I am concerned our target is top 4.

Edited by Chrysalis

Browsing the LiVARpool forums seriously pisses me off. Entitled w4nkers who think they'll just brush us aside at KP on Boxing Day. They think they're the best team in the world right now too. This thread specifically: https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=343752.1840

I think if Salzburg win this week, Diverpool's confidence could take a massive hit and the Europa League games could prove to be their demise those season. I'm praying for a Salzburg win this week.

Let's be honest, with the way the league is going this season and how well we're playing, who wouldn't want another chance at a PL title?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

If we are to win the league it will be preferable that we not expected to, less pressure on the players, so there is a perk to this.  I would rather win the title with everyone acting like it came out of the blue, instead of been considered contenders for most of season and then not winning it.

As far as I am concerned our target is top 4.

Surely our target now has to be to finish in the top 2? 

4 hours ago, 420Hashish said:

Browsing the LiVARpool forums seriously pisses me off. Entitled w4nkers who think they'll just brush us aside at KP on Boxing Day. They think they're the best team in the world right now too. This thread specifically: https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=343752.1840

I think if Salzburg win this week, Diverpool's confidence could take a massive hit and the Europa League games could prove to be their demise those season. I'm praying for a Salzburg win this week.

Let's be honest, with the way the league is going this season and how well we're playing, who wouldn't want another chance at a PL title?

I really hope Salzburg does it. Big ask, but it's possible.

• Like 1

Guest BlueBrett

We are in it, just say it quietly.

8 point gap with 22 games to play is hardly insurmountable. Beat them at our place Boxing Day and its 5 points going into the New Year, assuming we keep winning til then of course which is a tough task, especially with Man City on my birthday fixture.

Besides they've only dropped 2 points so far. Finished on 97 last season and everyone was saying what incredible points tallies they and city had accumulated. Well 97 is 17 points dropped and even 100 is 14 so unless they're just going to blow every points total record out of the water they are likely to drop a lot more points second half of the season than they have in these games. Also we all know they've had more than their fair share of luck so far and that should run out at some point haha.

At the same time we could just as easily be the ones to pick up far fewer points second half of the season. As things stand a couple injuries to key players could effectively kill any kind of challenge from us. Same for most clubs I know but still the possibility of losing Ricardo, Ndidi or obviously Vardy for a run of games doesn't bare thinking about. In fact, id argue that 7 out of our 10 outfield players are pretty much irreplaceable as things stand (as far as maintaining consistency across multiple games goes), which feels like a bit of a vulnerable position to be in.

So yeah, we are in the race for sure but there is a long way to go and we are about to enter one of its more challenging phases. There's a lot that could go right/wrong for both us and them between now and the run in so let's just take it game by game and hope the lads can keep hitting their levels.

Edited by BlueBrett

The title race now only exists in the media who though they love Liverpool desperately don't want the Premier League to be seen as a boring one team triumphal march to the title. Liverpool are steets ahead of everyone at the moment. We could beat them on Boxing Day, win all of our other games and it still might not be enough.

We're playing well at present and need to continue these levels even to get top 4, which would be a massive achievement for us.

As to the title it is Liverpool's to lose and nobody else's to win.

Edited by reynard
  • Like 1

For clarity, because the maths seems to have caused a little confusion.

Had we won at Anfield (and all the results since remained the same, which of course they wouldn't have done, because butterflies get involved in such situations), then the gap would now be 2 points (we'd have 3 more, they'd have 3 fewer).

Should we win against 'pool on Boxing Day, however, we only make up 3 points. 

For me, we're not in the title race because there is no title race. It's Liverpool's to lose. 

However, if we win on Boxing day and Liverpool slip up somewhere else - then we will be.

And there might be a new song or two as a result 😁

Hark now hear, the Leicester sing.....

We are most definitely in a title race, please let’s not overate Liverpool they are a good team but They are not unstoppable. 8 points is not a huge gap. Liverpool are beating the teams they are expected to beat so far. They do have to play better teams soon, ie us, Wolves. The season is not over! Believe!!!!

Champions League football and a cup would still be a stellar and amazing season, if we win the title it will be simply amazing! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

For clarity, because the maths seems to have caused a little confusion.

Had we won at Anfield (and all the results since remained the same, which of course they wouldn't have done, because butterflies get involved in such situations), then the gap would now be 2 points (we'd have 3 more, they'd have 3 fewer).

Should we win against 'pool on Boxing Day, however, we only make up 3 points. 

Yes but if not for the last minute penalty we’d have drawn so we’d have gained a point and they’d have lost 2 meaning a 5 point gap. I don’t think most people thought we deserved a win but we should definitely have had the draw.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

It's definitely Liverpool's to lose.  Are we in the race, I think we need to wait until about 10pm on Boxing Day. By my calculations, by then we could be somewhere between a point ahead of them and 14 points behind.  And they'll have a game in hand.  We'd need to be no more than 5 points away to even consider being title contenders imo.

Won it once in my lifetime which is once more than I could have ever dreamed of.  To win it again would be fantastic but I’m not getting carried away with an 8 point deficit to make up. 

People say they haven’t been at their best but we ground out 1-0 after 1-0 in 2016. Theirs to lose. 

• Like 3