Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Genesis1

Could Vardy come out of England retirement?

When you look at the options we have up top, Sterling, Sancho, Kane, Rashford, Abraham, Hudson-Odoi, Ings, Calvert-Lewin, Greenwood and Wilson. 

I’d hazard a guess and state Barnes and Gray are more likely to get called up over Vardy. 

1 hour ago, Sly said:

When you look at the options we have up top, Sterling, Sancho, Kane, Rashford, Abraham, Hudson-Odoi, Ings, Calvert-Lewin, Greenwood and Wilson. 

I’d hazard a guess and state Barnes and Gray are more likely to get called up over Vardy. 

Might be more likely in that it’s looking like an impossible return for Vardy but no chance in reality given that Vardy was overlooked so many times despite looking like the most lethal English striker in the league.

Would perhaps be a different story if Barnes played for Chelsea and Gray played for Man U but they don’t. I still don’t understand the resistance to getting Maddison involved. In fact, the more I think about it the more I’m tempted to say that Chilwell and Maguire were only picked due to the lack of options in their positions.

We have so many bang average options up front and Southgate was already reluctant to play Vardy when he was in the squad and the game was crying out for him. This makes me highly doubt his return and I would be very surprised to see guys like Hamza or Barnes picked, even if the latter went on to score a goal a game for the rest of the season. Unfortunately we all know it will be Sterling, Abraham and Sancho up top, with a half-fit Kane brought in the hope that he is fit enough to come on and score a penalty, and with the mighty Declan Rice as the deep lying midfielder trying to do his best Xavi impression.

God, I’m getting depressed about the Euros already!

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-jamie-vardy-england-3743025.amp

Many pundits know jack all and then publish opinions as if they are experts.

Did Ashton not know that the problem is really with Southgate and not with Vardy? Vardy is like third or fourth choice in Southgate’s list. So why go, be disrespected, waste time and energy and risk injury?

• Like 1

Still not convinced Vardy retired through his own choice alone but his time with England is done, he seems content away from it all and England look elsewhere.

He could've been involved but Southgate chose the Kane-only route and that's his decision.

5 minutes ago, Corky said:

Still not convinced Vardy retired through his own choice alone but his time with England is done, he seems content away from it all and England look elsewhere.

He could've been involved but Southgate chose the Kane-only route and that's his decision.

Yeah I think Vardy spoke Southgate early on just to see where stands and knew straight away with Kane around he stood no chance. Best Southgate could offer him was a place on the bench. At times I get annoyed how of recent years the England squad centre's on just one player... this time round it's Kane before Rooney. 

Edited by Leicesterpool
  • Like 1

England captain Harry Kane is unlikely to be fit for Euro 2020, a leading orthopaedic surgeon has said.

Kane went under the knife on Saturday to repair a ruptured tendon in his left hamstring and the club have said they expect him to resume training in April.

However, his participation at this summer’s tournament was plunged into doubt earlier this week when Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho raised the possibility of Kane not being fit until next season.

And now Chris Wilson, one of the country’s prominent doctors in the procedure, says he thinks it is more likely to be six months before Kane could play again.

“I would expect it to be six months before he could return to action,” Dr Wilson, who has performed the same operation 75 times, told the PA news agency.

“There is a big range of opinion because it is such an uncommon procedure and some surgeons may say quicker.

“If the repair was good and sound, the first six weeks he will be nursing the repair and doing very little.

“Six to 12 weeks, providing everything was OK, he will be doing basic strengthening exercises.

“At three months you would start a normal hamstring rehabilitation that you would do if you got a tear in the middle of the muscle.

“If I was talking to a top-level footballer I would want to manage their expectations and say I wouldn’t anticipate them being fit and playing normally in a game for six months following the surgery.

“If it was me I would say aim for getting fit for pre-season training. I am aware in Harry Kane’s case they have been saying April or May – I have to say I would be very surprised.”

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/harry-kane-injury-england-leading-surgeon-expects-miss-euro-2020-tottenham-spurs

The logical choice would be to replace Kane with Vardy as the main forward for England in the friendlies coming up before the euros. They’ll have to play together to get some sort of understanding. 

I can’t see it happening sadly, I think Southgate would rather pick Rashford or Abraham. 

Personally I thought we should have accommodated both Kane and Vardy into some sort of diamond 442 or 352 variety where sterling can play as a number 10, plenty of goals in that attack and pace on the counter. 

As an aside, and with the knowledge I’ll sound slightly tin hatty.....

Does anyone else think that England managers are “encouraged” to overlook players not from “the big six” in order to encourage said players to push for transfers knowing they’re less likely to play for England if they stay put? X

5 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

As an aside, and with the knowledge I’ll sound slightly tin hatty.....

Does anyone else think that England managers are “encouraged” to overlook players not from “the big six” in order to encourage said players to push for transfers knowing they’re less likely to play for England if they stay put? X

No ... but I am just less of a conspiracy theorist in thinking than others. Southgate in fairness has chosen players from “lesser“ teams and who are less proven, but obviously when you are in a so called Big Six team your name would be mentioned more thus giving you a lot more exposure. There may also be an implicit assumption that if you can make the Man City lineup with the amount of talent they have and Guardiola as a manager, you must be good so that assumption is then for you to lose. (Also, surely Southgate would have the self recognition that Guardiola is a better manager than he is).

So for our players, if we can consistently be in the top four, then our first team players should also get more of the benefit of that assumption.

Edited by Tom12345

Probably the bias is not so much toward players from big clubs, as those who have been in the setup for some time, especially as U21s. 

Which indirectly favors big clubs, their teenagers being those identified early as top talents.  And handicaps more productive late bloomers when the time comes to assemble the best squad for a tournament.

Coaches will always be comfortable with those they have taught, indoctrinated, and know well.  Do you think Southgate ever "indoctrinated" Jamie Vardy?

JVfinger.JPG.e77fb0f7724ad0d12ac86e3cea2f9608.JPG

on the other hand ...

Allifinger.JPG.83bd37d5a978733753d21b9a272f18e0.JPG

• Like 1

Ings is the man to fire us to euro glory, Kane being out presents us with a great opportunity and will force mr waistcoat to realise there’s other players available. My big fear is Kane declaring him self fit and then limping around in the games whilst Southgate insists that it’s for the greater good. Oh and I don’t have a problem with Kane, he’s a very capable player, when fit. 

Vardy has said he would consider a return to the fold if England are desperate. Our two best strikers (other than Vardy) won’t be fully fit. Vardy has the most goals in the league this season. I’d say England are desperate. 

Just now, Bert said:

Vardy has said he would consider a return to the fold if England are desperate. Our two best strikers (other than Vardy) won’t be fully fit. Vardy has the most goals in the league this season. I’d say England are desperate. 

Yep.

Adding to this like I've said last week or whenever it was. He recently but @England back into his bio on Twitter and Instagram.

I'm sure they'll be conversations had between the two parties. 

This is actually a bit of a dilemma for Southgate. Vardy is not going to play in the upcoming friendlies as he knows that if, by some miracle Kane or Rashford actually get back to fitness in time for the Euros he will not feature (won't go unless he is sure of significant game time). On the other hand, Southgate ideally would want to integrate Vardy back into the squad if he is likely to be needed. We will no doubt be told that it is a great oppourtunity to try out new ideas etc.

Personally I think, if as promised, we are to pick players based on form then, if Vardy says no, Ings and Abrahams should be first picks.

On Sky last night the way it was being reported was almost verging on the point of accusing Vardy of letting his country down, constantly emphasising that it was his choice, and that he had ruled himself out of the friendlies despite the fact that he said he would come back in a crisis if asked.  As far as I know, this is still the case, and he has not been asked, neither has he said that he would turn it down if he was, just that at present he has no plans to alter his decision and declare himself available (which would be a huge swallowing of humble pie, something that Vards is not known for).

Come May, if Kane & Rashford not fit, Vardy collecting Golden Boot, Southgate will no doubt come under increasing pressure to send out the call. Jamie will then have a big choice to make (I can just imagine him telling the wife and kids that he will have to cancel the holiday they booked in February)

Abraham injured last night, these calls for Vardy are only going to get louder now.

Southgate will shaft him though, will promise Vardy a role at Euro 2020 to get through the March fixtures then shaft him at first opportunity.

7 minutes ago, Dames said:

Abraham injured last night, these calls for Vardy are only going to get louder now.

Southgate will shaft him though, will promise Vardy a role at Euro 2020 to get through the March fixtures then shaft him at first opportunity.

Which is exactly why Vardy will not make himself available. Come end of season if the situation is still the same he will come under a lot of media pressure to reconsider, and if he doesn't (and who would blame him after the way he was treated) and we fail miserably in the euros he will be pilloried in the press

• 8 months later...

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/jamie-vardy-leicester-england-euro-2020-gareth-southgate-news-latest-injury-b744627.html

Jamie Vardy: England manager Gareth Southgate will not rule out international recall for Leicester striker

Gareth Southgate remains in dialogue with Jamie Vardy and has not ruled out a future England recall for the Leicester City striker.

The 33-year-old Vardy stepped away from international football following the 2018 World Cup but Southgate has always held out hope of coaxing him back to the England set-up.

Vardy, who did not officially announce that he had retired from international football, has scored five goals in three games - including four penalties - to lead the Premier League's scoring charts.

"We know that Jamie is still around and we still communicate a lot," Southgate said, having named his 30-man England squad for October's Wembley triple-header.

"I think at this moment in time we are in agreement that it's good to keep looking at these younger players, he is 32, 33.

"He has got a lot of football [left], he has a bit of an injury at the moment, I think.

"But I'm not in any way ruling him out if it's the right thing at the right time to bring him back into the fold."

Southgate handed Everton striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin his first senior call-up following his excellent start to the season and feels he could be an understudy to Harry Kane.

The England manager is under pressure from Tottenham manager Jose Mourinho to use Kane sparingly during the forthcoming international break.

"I guess in terms of the way [Calvert-Lewin] holds the ball up and his build up play being reliable, he has some similarities," he said.

"Always with players, you don’t like to compare because they are all individuals and they all deserve to be treated and acknowledged as such. His link play is an important part of his game.  

"He has a fantastic leap, the ability to score outstanding headed goals is something that stands out that maybe one or two of our other centre-forwards dont have.  

"We need that competition. We need to keep pushing Harry as well. It can’t just be that Harry is on the team sheet without having to fight for his own place as well."