Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

NETFLIX RECOMMENDATIONS: stuff to watch

Started the new season of The Crown last night.

As usual, production quality is bang on but it is a little jarring with the era being covered being in very recent history.

Seeing Johnny Lee Miller (of Sickboy fame in Trainspotting) portraying John Major is a bit of a "wow" moment too 

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/11/2022 at 04:01, ozleicester said:

Pepsi - Wheres my jet?

Another middling Netflix "Doco" that couldve been done in 2 episodes.

Disapointing

They’d have done well ti stretch it to 2. I was bored beyond belief by the time I’d finished episode 4.

• Like 1

Watched Wingmen the other night, 3 guys in to extreme base jumping. Base jumping is pretty extreme anyway but these are in to precision stuff and it's just insane. Can't decide if my life is as dull as ditch water after watching it or whether I'm just fine as I am 

On 25/11/2022 at 12:59, nnfox said:

Ancient Apocalypse on Netflix, presented by Graham Hancock.  8 x 30 minute episodes.  I've read a few of his books, which go into quite a lot more detail then this series, but still worth a watch.  Intriguing subject matter.

I really enjoyed this. I know it's controversial but it's also dangerous now apparently 🤣

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/nov/23/ancient-apocalypse-is-the-most-dangerous-show-on-netflix

1 hour ago, Soup said:

I really enjoyed this. I know it's controversial but it's also dangerous now apparently 🤣

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/nov/23/ancient-apocalypse-is-the-most-dangerous-show-on-netflix

I read that review! Bizarre! 

It's like the critic isn't interested in the subject at all, and was probably told to review it by his editor as some sort of forefit for some office misdemeanor.  And so he did, on a day when he got out of bed on the wrong side.  Weird level of hate.

• Like 1

On 26/11/2022 at 07:34, Soup said:

Watched Wingmen the other night, 3 guys in to extreme base jumping. Base jumping is pretty extreme anyway but these are in to precision stuff and it's just insane. Can't decide if my life is as dull as ditch water after watching it or whether I'm just fine as I am 

I watched it recently too, quite enjoyed it. I understand what you mean about your life, I think you're probably fine though 🤣

40 minutes ago, nnfox said:

It's like the critic isn't interested in the subject at all, and was probably told to review it by his editor as some sort of forefit for some office misdemeanor.  And so he did, on a day when he got out of bed on the wrong side.  Weird level of hate.

Not watched the series, but this is the same journo who battered Netflix for the Dahmer series. 

1 hour ago, ajthefox said:

I watched it recently too, quite enjoyed it. I understand what you mean about your life, I think you're probably fine though 🤣

You're probably right as I'm still alive haha! But sometimes I do think these guys and other nutcases do live Iife to the absolute max.

don't believe in reincarnation but if it were to exist I think I'd like come back as a surfer in Hawaii, just work behind a bar and ride stupid size waves for my whole life 😁

• Like 1

On 27/11/2022 at 11:37, nnfox said:

I actually don't think the review is that bad, clickbait headline aside. 

I watched a bit of it and I picked up two things very quickly:

1. He's very quick to downplay what actual scientists are saying, despite admitting he's just a journalist. 

2. With the above in mind, he only really presents his own theories and doesn't provide any sort of science to back it up. You gotta fight scientists with science I'd have thought.

He may be right but he's not doing the best job of proving it imo. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

1. He's very quick to downplay what actual scientists are saying, despite admitting he's just a journalist. 

2. With the above in mind, he only really presents his own theories and doesn't provide any sort of science to back it up. You gotta fight scientists with science I'd have thought.

It's grifting bollocks from a broadcaster that effectively answers to nobody and carries about as much weight as my theory that Sir Peter Soulsby spies on me through a camera he's installed in my toilet cistern

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, RobHawk said:

To be fair, his books go into a lot more detail and he does reference and work through numerous published research papers, both for and against his argument.

Such an in depth documentary series would probably be a heavy watch and not get the viewing figures.  There's a balance to be strick, I guess.

Also, the trouble with archaeology is that it isn't a true science in the sense that a theory can be factually disproved.  Archaeology is based on opinion and best guesses which are difficult to objectively disprove 

7 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Binge watched Wednesday last weekend. Very very well put together and Jenna Ortega is gorgeous 

Jesus Col, you must be more than twice her age? 

Great show though, really enjoyed it although I think it started better than it ended. Seemed a bit rushed in the last episode.

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

Jesus Col, you must be more than twice her age? 

Great show though, really enjoyed it although I think it started better than it ended. Seemed a bit rushed in the last episode.

I’m the opposite.  Thought it got better as it went along.

The feeling of the final episode seems to be common with Netflix shows.  It’s like the stories are written with 1 or 2 additional episodes in mind, but Netflix says “no”. 
I don’t mind though.  Much better than the days of dragging things out with boring, unnecessary filler episodes - see any of the Netflix/Marvel shows for reference.

• Like 2