Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Just now, joachim1965 said:

I work in public transport, from today most services we run will be hourly.

All this does is increase the number of passengers on each bus.

The total opposite of government advice.

Yeah I thought that too.  The Glasgow tube was running a slightly reduced service this morning and, as you say, each carriage was busier.

45 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Our local waste people have reported post Xmas levels of food waste, up 30% on usual with many items still in their packaging .......

Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of this total twattery. What were people going to do with all the stuff?

I did mention this last night when it was on but worth a few that think the UK government are just "winging it" to watch as Dr Xand van Tulleken has interviews with various experts on all things Cv19 including with Dr Jenny Harries who explains a bit about the stages we are going through, shes at the end of the program, a scientist involved in the model calculator providing when we should action certain measures & how long this could go on for & behavioural scientists amongst others.

It was recorded on the 1st day that Boris started his daily briefings so what was that the 16th March

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/coronavirus-how-to-isolate-yourself

2 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Question for the FT hive mind.......

I am self employed and my current earnings are pretty much zero in the present climate.  I have taken on some temporary, zero hour admin work (from an agency).  Part of me feels like I should be staying at home but I have no symptoms so far and literally have no way to earn money without this.  Am I feeling guilty for nothing?  I am being reckless?  Or is this pretty much my only option?  X

I think we do a similar job from your previous posts.  I sell antiques online.  I am expecting sales to drop off a cliff.  I mean when people are fighting over loo roll and bread, who wants to buy a Georgian teapot?  

So what happens to us?  If sales plummet we are not unemployed so no help there, we don't have a salary so no help from the government scheme.  I would just say that after expecting tumbleweeds to be blowing across my website, I have actually had a pretty good weekend - pretty normal levels of sales, so maybe the clouds will part and people will still buy my candlesticks and buy your watches?  I dunno, but even then, our buying opportunities are diminished.  All the antique fairs are cancelled, Newark was like Christmas for me.  I don't know what will happen to auctions.

I have thought about getting one of those job thingys that normal people have.  Supermarkets are taking on loads of people due to demand, but I really don't want to do that. With regards your current work and commute, I would be looking to change that.  You really don't want to get this thing.  Can't you do your admin crap from home?  Otherwise look for something more local or get creative.  With all of this time on my hands, I think I'm gonna have a go at making stuff.  Just need to come up with a good idea.

Anyway, hope it picks up for you.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Yes I was wondering if this would happen, Some people’s level of selfishness is beyond belief.

Xmas levels of beer consumption has been more the worry for me - having to take a few days off so there’s room in the recycling bin for other stuff. Though when everybody has been on isle 9 fighting over loo roll I’ve been in the aisle 10 nervously putting real ale bottles in my trolley and wondering if I’m going to be accused of hoarding Bishop’s Farewell. 

Yesterday was a breakthrough as the brewery replied to my mail and are going to deliver direct - so that’s a weight off.

7 minutes ago, murphy said:

I think we do a similar job from your previous posts.  I sell antiques online.  I am expecting sales to drop off a cliff.  I mean when people are fighting over loo roll and bread, who wants to buy a Georgian teapot?  

So what happens to us?  If sales plummet we are not unemployed so no help there, we don't have a salary so no help from the government scheme.  I would just say that after expecting tumbleweeds to be blowing across my website, I have actually had a pretty good weekend - pretty normal levels of sales, so maybe the clouds will part and people will still buy my candlesticks and buy your watches?  I dunno, but even then, our buying opportunities are diminished.  All the antique fairs are cancelled, Newark was like Christmas for me.  I don't know what will happen to auctions.

I have thought about getting one of those job thingys that normal people have.  Supermarkets are taking on loads of people due to demand, but I really don't want to do that. With regards your current work and commute, I would be looking to change that.  You really don't want to get this thing.  Can't you do your admin crap from home?  Otherwise look for something more local or get creative.  With all of this time on my hands, I think I'm gonna have a go at making stuff.  Just need to come up with a good idea.

Anyway, hope it picks up for you.

Thanks for your response, some good feedback and I hope you are getting on OK.  My issue is I do not sit on any stock, my turnover is very quick so my cash flow relies on it.  I buy and sell things within a week usually and have not been able to buy as much recently, coupled with not having time due to working a real job, meaning I have no stock and am in a position where it is difficult for me to go out and by any.  This financial year for me was very hard, I went over the VAT threshold so paid VAT for about 9 months which absolutely crippled me.  I came back under the threshold and we then had a baby so I didn't really work as much as usual for a few months and then this all hit.  I will try and find something more local but very difficult and, as a temp, I don't have much sway at work so cannot really work from home, I think they would just find another temp willing to come in.  It's a tough situation.  Like many folk I imagine, I live on the edge in terms of money with no savings so a few weeks with no cash is crippling.  Hopefully it doesn't last for too long.  Trying to think creatively in terms of raising cash/diversifying my business model, but with a 40 hour working week and a baby I just haven't had time.  Just hoping for a wee lifeline from ol' Boris to be honest. X

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Thanks for your response, some good feedback and I hope you are getting on OK.  My issue is I do not sit on any stock, my turnover is very quick so my cash flow relies on it.  I buy and sell things within a week usually and have not been able to buy as much recently, coupled with not having time due to working a real job, meaning I have no stock and am in a position where it is difficult for me to go out and by any.  This financial year for me was very hard, I went over the VAT threshold so paid VAT for about 9 months which absolutely crippled me.  I came back under the threshold and we then had a baby so I didn't really work as much as usual for a few months and then this all hit.  I will try and find something more local but very difficult and, as a temp, I don't have much sway at work so cannot really work from home, I think they would just find another temp willing to come in.  It's a tough situation.  Like many folk I imagine, I live on the edge in terms of money with no savings so a few weeks with no cash is crippling.  Hopefully it doesn't last for too long.  Trying to think creatively in terms of raising cash/diversifying my business model, but with a 40 hour working week and a baby I just haven't had time.  Just hoping for a wee lifeline from ol' Boris to be honest. X

I don't really have anything useful to add at the mo but I must say, if you can turn over £85k+ with just throughput and not sitting on any stock, that is a pretty impressive business model there.  I've still got bits and pieces kicking around that weren't antique when I bought them but are now.  I know it doesn't help you in this situation though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Spain confirm 462 more deaths in the last 24 hours.

Quickly on its way to becoming the epicentre of the virus in Europe if Italy's number start to ease up.

Us after Spain?

Christ that’s some toll.

2 minutes ago, String fellow said:

The reference to the antiques trade prompted me to check if Gildings in Market Harborough would continue to hold its fortnightly auctions. Slightly surprisingly, the answer appears to be yes.

The problem is not so much the auctions themselves, they can easily be managed online.  I never go in person anyway.

The problem is viewing.  Each item is literally handled by hundreds of people.  Ideal for spreading the virus.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Spain confirm 462 more deaths in the last 24 hours.

Quickly on its way to becoming the epicentre of the virus in Europe if Italy's number start to ease up.

Us after Spain?

Spain are on the worst trajectory in Europe, by a distance.  Hopefully they can turn it round quickly, but they might well be in a worse position than Italy soon.

3 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

I am just getting that feeling...

That the British are Not Really quick on the Pick up,and Short of a few Cups in the cupboard...!!!

But we've stocked up with plenty of teabags to put in those cups.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, nnfox said:

Spain are on the worst trajectory in Europe, by a distance.  Hopefully they can turn it round quickly, but they might well be in a worse position than Italy soon.

German health minister has said that they’re starting to see their curve ‘flattening’ which can only be a good thing. Deaths in Italy majorly decreased yesterday, if they don’t increase today then it looks like good news for now. Denmark and Norway who also locked down very early on are also seeing a decrease in cases. Spain, Switzerland, France and ourselves are fecked. 

3 minutes ago, Lionator said:

German health minister has said that they’re starting to see their curve ‘flattening’ which can only be a good thing. Deaths in Italy majorly decreased yesterday, if they don’t increase today then it looks like good news for now. Denmark and Norway who also locked down very early on are also seeing a decrease in cases. Spain, Switzerland, France and ourselves are fecked. 

France are actually doing quite well, they've had people dying from it for a while now and whilst the numbers are increasing, they are at a slower pace than any other similar nation that I can see.

I would suggest that it is premature at best for the Germans to declare their curve is already flattening.  Their curve is behind ours, but not a million miles off a very similar trajectory.