Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

2 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Nice if you can work from home or have had 80% of your wages guaranteed, but what about the self employed? They have bills to pay, families to feed and have been given barely any support from the government. This could shut their business down, lose homes and bring suffering and pain to their families. Its understandable why they are still operating, they need assurances, help.

I work outdoors, on my own and only come into contact with customers if they chose to see me. The more people congregate the quicker the government will put us into full lockdown, I just hope they’ve put better measures of support in place for the self employed by then.  

I’m not disagree with you at all.

My target is companies like where my partner works whom as the government aren’t insisting work from home, continue to function from their office and warehouse. There’s plenty of retail business as well doing the same despite having websites.

6 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

It’s not about a lack of leaders, the WHO or any other body simply don’t have the jurisdiction to be making decisions on behalf of governments around the world.

It is true that we've had the massive misfortune of this occurring when we have a dearth of decent leaders. The world usually looks to the US for leadership.

2 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Spent some of Mother's Day at Uttoxeter Services.

My Grandparents live in Cheshire, whilst the rest of my family live in Leicestershire - so, moreorless, a half-way point to meet; to give presents to Grandmother and talk for around 30 minutes whilst hearing in mind the social distance rule with this.

Thought it was a good and sensible idea, in the end.

Where did you sit?

Seems worse to make people come potentially into contact with more people generally using services 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Where did you sit?

Seems worse to make people come potentially into contact with more people generally using services 

Just met at the car park.

Only a couple of other people were in the area, around 200 yards away.

5 hours ago, Charl91 said:

Going to sound a bit blunt here, so I apologise in advance.

But if you have any capability to care for your child, even if it makes working from home tricky, then please, please keep them at home. We've been making it very clear at our school, to parents of key workers, that our care service is literally a last resort for if you cannot provide childcare in any other way, and even, we'll only cover the hours that are absolutely needed. If you only work Mon - Thurs, then your child should not be in on the Friday.

Every extra child in school will greatly increase the risk that not only they, but the other children, staff, and parents of those children will get it (and those will be the parents providing those key jobs). You'll be putting you and your child* at unnecessary extra risk. I don't know the needs of your child, and maybe they do need care that you can't provide for them at home, but if you have the capability to look after them at home, then please do it.

(*and on a selfish note, also staff. I have a partner with fairly bad asthma so I'd rather not catch it myself)

No need for an apology at all mate, these are very scary times!

After a weekend long discussion, we’ve managed to figure it it (pending agreement from our bosses!!) a way that means we can both work from home as normal and ensure our child doesn’t need nursery. It’s still a logistical nightmare but we think we’ve sussed it :fc::sweating:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fox in the North said:

No need for an apology at all mate, these are very scary times!

After a weekend long discussion, we’ve managed to figure it it (pending agreement from our bosses!!) a way that means we can both work from home as normal and ensure our child doesn’t need nursery. It’s still a logistical nightmare but we think we’ve sussed it :fc::sweating:

Thank you. And I genuinely mean it, because a lot of parents wouldn't make that effort.

• Like 2

Not sure if it’s been posted before but why don’t the parents club together and set up like child minder groups at their homes for the key workers kids? If each non key worker could look after a key workers child for a day it saves the schools being open? 

20 minutes ago, StanSP said:

What's the recovery period once getting it?

I know there's no cure or vaccination, but anyone who enters in to hospital, how long (on average) is it before they come out of hospital, if at all?

1-3 weeks. That’s part of the problem, patients that recover still take ages to get weaned off ventilators.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Marshall law, army on the streets. If stupid people wilfully continue to be stupid, then I see no other option.

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

We are a democracy and not a totalitarian regime. You argument holds no water.

Not sure how to reconcile these two statements

3 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Sorry if anyone's already commented on this but.....

Figures for USA are rising dramatically: more than twice as many confirmed infections than any other country in last 24 hours + almost 100 deaths.

At least 85% of new infections in New York state.....12,000+ in 24 hours?!? :blink: I seriously hope that partly represents a leap in testing/reporting, not just in infections....

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I don’t think you can read too much into the number of confirmed infections as this depends to a large extent on the amount of testing. Number of deaths is probably a more reliable guide to what is happening, at least in countries that are trusted to produce reliable figures.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

I'm unsure what you do for a living but I will certainly be working for the foreseeable. This despite an underlying health condition. I'll be working because I'll be making a difference to the vulnerable. 

The reason i comment is because this attitude to keeping the education system open in this manner seems unique to England and is sowing confusion. 

With reference to supporting measures, how are any of us supposed to eyeball that? There's a hugely communicable virus that doctors are panicking over. Maybe think about stemming communication. 

But what would I know being an idiot on the Internet. 

Many countries are providing childcare through schools to free up key workers. I'm not sure it that complicated - if the country needs to to work, and there is no one else at home who can care for your child they can go to school for the time you are working only.

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

Many countries are providing childcare through schools to free up key workers. I'm not sure it that complicated - if the country needs to to work, and there is no one else at home who can care for your child they can go to school for the time you are working only.

But our country has made the list SO broad that pets at home feel enabled to write to schools suggesting that their workers are entitled.

This is because Johnson is putting profit over people. 

39 minutes ago, StanSP said:

What's the recovery period once getting it?

I know there's no cure or vaccination, but anyone who enters in to hospital, how long (on average) is it before they come out of hospital, if at all?

One of my mates has had it. After day ten he began to feel normal again. 

Started with a tickle in his throat, then a cough, aches and pains and a temperature of 46.... the worse part was the first 7 days, after this he began to improve. He said today that he woke up feeling normal, as if he’s just had a sore throat and a bad cough. All he did was take paracetamol and drink purely water. It was probably worse for him as he is a smoker and a weekend binge drinker, but he got through it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

I cannot believe there’s no global plan in place for this sort of thing. It’s not that far fetched and we’ve had a few warning shots in the past with SARS and bird flu etc.

Why do the top level of government not have policies in place to avoid all this confusion.

Why can’t the WHO take over and give the whole world advice and set laws into place overriding local governments.

What a shitshow, proving globally we don’t have any prepared leaders, we don’t have anyone willing to take the reigns and do what is right for its people.

Hollywood will save us. They always do

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

One of my mates has had it. After day ten he began to feel normal again. 

Started with a tickle in his throat, then a cough, aches and pains and a temperature of 46.... the worse part was the first 7 days, after this he began to improve. He said today that he woke up feeling normal, as if he’s just had a sore throat and a bad cough. All he did was take paracetamol and drink purely water. It was probably worse for him as he is a smoker and a weekend binge drinker, but he got through it.

46 is he sure, That would mean almost certain death.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PAULCFC said:

mrs works for the NHS and is off  tommorow,so obviouly neither of our kid's are going to school.Just heard that one of her mates who work for East Midland Trains are sending their child to school on weds and thurs when both of the parents are off!Pretty sure we will be on lock down before the end of the week to stop stupid adults doing this.:angry:        

Some of the so-called 'key-workers' trying to send their kids to school is ridiculous. I've had one parent arguing that her role as a nail tech is 'essential'.  I'm putting my own and my family's health at risk by going in to work to teach these children. I can understand the need if parents really are playing an essential role and have no alternatives but the people trying to play the system because they don't want their children at home is shocking. 

Edited by AoWW