Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Our kids' school is taking a pretty tough line. Although my missus is a key worker and so in theory we qualify, they've said no to providing them with a place.

I was in two minds about it anyway - it'll be bloody difficult to hold down a job and have my two kids at home, but ultimately my convenience isn't what this is all about, is it?

I think a lot of folk are going to be disappointed/furious about this, but I'm quite pleased about the school taking the moral dilemma out of our hands if I'm honest

7 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Our kids' school is taking a pretty tough line. Although my missus is a key worker and so in theory we qualify, they've said no to providing them with a place.

I was in two minds about it anyway - it'll be bloody difficult to hold down a job and have my two kids at home, but ultimately my convenience isn't what this is all about, is it?

I think a lot of folk are going to be disappointed/furious about this, but I'm quite pleased about the school taking the moral dilemma out of our hands if I'm honest

Same here. My sons going to school today and i've got to work. Madness. 

The line 'if this was a more serious virus....' was used on the previous page. Tbh, I'm struggling to think of anything that could be more serious. It's quite infectious even when incubating, it's airbourne, it survives on surfaces for a while, it's invisible, it lacks a vaccine, and it can kill in large numbers. That's is pretty awful list of properties.

• Like 4

I have worked at home (In IT) for the last 10 years, since Wednesday my wife (Also IT) is now working at home, and from today my son is (10) is now at home with school work to do.

This will be fun/interesting/annoying!

4 minutes ago, String fellow said:

The line 'if this was a more serious virus....' was used on the previous page. Tbh, I'm struggling to think of anything that could be more serious. It's quite infectious even when incubating, it's airbourne, it survives on surfaces for a while, it's invisible, it lacks a vaccine, and it can kill in large numbers. That's is pretty awful list of properties.

I don't mean to be trite, but a virus that kills everybody it infects would be worse. 

The worst thing about this one from the point of view of dealing with it is the wide range of outcomes, ranging from literally having no symptoms at all, to dying in a matter of days.

Convince yourself you're in the former group, as a lot of folk have done, then you've a recipe for a huge chunk of society not doing what they need to do, as we've seen, exacerbating the effect on the genuinely vulnerable groups

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, String fellow said:

I think it was me that said that.  This Coronavirus is serious, I didn't say it wasn't.  

Humans are less invincible than we like to think.

My point was in relation to the government's seemingly slow shut down of the country (it isn't) but just imagine what would be going on if this virus had a slightly different genetic code and carried a 50% mortality rate and we had previously healthy 20 year olds dropping dead in the street.  The government response would be swift and brutal.  

No bail out packages announced.

Do not leave your house for any reason.

Everything closed with immediate effect.

Shoot to kill policy for rule breakers, enforced by the military.

A balanced view is required.  The government are doing the "safest" quick shutdown as is possible.  Safest as in the wellbeing of the nation, not necessarily the individual.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, blabyboy said:

really? you can't get pet stuff online, or or pet food and peripherals from the shops? Vets as keyworker maybe? but the other people in there, no. 

Well that's the owners of 50 million pets adding to the load on supermarkets.

And there have been many times over the years when I've popped into the petshop for treatment for sick pets, they don't sell any of that stuff in supermarkets.

I assumed it was a given that people would understand the need for pet shops to stay open but maybe not. I guess the (genuine) question is, what is the harm in adding pet shop staff to the key worker list? 

10 hours ago, bovril said:

That drip feeding will probably mean more people die though. 

Will it?  You don't think this is all a very careful balance on the advice of the teams of very very clever medical and scientific experts convede months ago?  I mean I bow to your expertise if you are better placed to advise the Government, but I a little cycnical about it,

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Will it?  You don't think this is all a very careful balance on the advice of the teams of very very clever medical and scientific experts convede months ago?  I mean I bow to your expertise if you are better placed to advise the Government, but I a little cycnical about it,

I'm not better placed to advise the government, but I try to read up on things with an open mind, and it seems the vast majority of experts concede the only way to lessen the spread of the virus at the moment is to limit people's movements. So long term you may think doing things slowly and carefully will be better for society, but it is probable that more people will contract the virus because of that.

17 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I've come to the conclusion we've just gotta trust the Government and the experts with all this. They're probably all working 24/7 looking at all the risks and best/worse case scenarios. It's a nightmare situation really and you wouldn't wish it on your best enemy.

43 minutes ago, Houdini Logic said:

Well that's the owners of 50 million pets adding to the load on supermarkets.

And there have been many times over the years when I've popped into the petshop for treatment for sick pets, they don't sell any of that stuff in supermarkets.

I assumed it was a given that people would understand the need for pet shops to stay open but maybe not. I guess the (genuine) question is, what is the harm in adding pet shop staff to the key worker list? 

Some pet shops will suffer a shortage of staff but surely very few would actually need to close ?  There will undoubtedly be a drop off in people attending there. 

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

I'm not better placed to advise the government, but I try to read up on things with an open mind, and it seems the vast majority of experts concede the only way to lessen the spread of the virus at the moment is to limit people's movements. So long term you may think doing things slowly and carefully will be better for society, but it is probable that more people will contract the virus because of that.

You might well be right, but how many people get the virus is not the only consideration.  The government also have to consider what happens if people are laid off en-masse (like if they close everything before they have a plan to support jobs for example).  This is massively complex balance, and I am glad it isn't me making the decisions to be honest. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I've come to the conclusion we've just gotta trust the Government and the experts with all this. They're probably all working 24/7 looking at all the risks and best/worse case scenarios. It's a nightmare situation really and you wouldn't wish it on your best enemy.

But boris has been wet on this for ages

why not look directly into the camera and tell those people who were out drinking on fri and sat or those establishments who stayed open despite the instruction to close that their behaviour is totally unacceptable and they are risking the lives of their parents, grandparents and their friends by their actions. That by acting with such disdain for society, if they need a hospital bed in two weeks time then there won’t be one available. He needs to stop trying to be everyone’s mate. 

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

We have the same. My wife is considered a key worker and may well even get moved to front line services.

However our school have said no to taking ours as I'm not.

That said placing them in a school with kids of NHS workers places them in greater danger themselves, so not sure we would want to send them in any case.

Question for the FT hive mind.......

I am self employed and my current earnings are pretty much zero in the present climate.  I have taken on some temporary, zero hour admin work (from an agency).  Part of me feels like I should be staying at home but I have no symptoms so far and literally have no way to earn money without this.  Am I feeling guilty for nothing?  I am being reckless?  Or is this pretty much my only option?  X

Edited by RumbleFox

6 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I am self employed and my current earnings are pretty much zero in the present climate.  I have taken on some temporary, zero hour admin work (from an agency).  Part of me feels like I should be staying at home but I have no symptoms so far and literally have no way to earn money without this.  Am I feeling guilty for nothing?  I am being reckless?  Or is this pretty much my only option?  X

It’s a toughie because the self employed have been left behind to date in terms of support - you can get SSP at £94 a week at some juncture but that’s it. No judgement here.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

We have the same. My wife is considered a key worker and may well even get moved to front line services.

However our school have said no to taking ours as I'm not.

That said placing them in a school with kids of NHS workers places them in greater danger themselves, so not sure we would want to send them in any case.

I feel pretty much exactly this. Only too glad to have the decision taken out of my hands.

I think things are moving so fast that even those that were thinking thank God my kids have somewhere to go last week will be less sure it's a great idea

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

It’s a toughie because the self employed have been left behind to date in terms of support - you can get SSP at £94 a week at some juncture but that’s it. No judgement here.

Yeah it's pretty shit, I'm entitled to nothing right at this moment.  Just feeling bad reading all the "stay at home you idiots" stuff online but I think some people as saying it forget some of us have little choice.  I have a 4 month old, my partner is on reduced wages due to maternity leave and my earnings have suddenly gone to zero.  I feel I have no other choice.  The job itself is minimal contact, I am in an office on my own but it is more the commute.  

20 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

There are so many in the same boat and a clamour for something to be done, I'd be AMAZED if this isn't addressed soon. The pattern of the briefings does seem to be each one having a theme about addressing a particular thing.

Like a high stakes policy whack-a-mole

• Like 2