Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Guest MattP
8 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

That’s the thing, all of this stepping in paying wages, what happens when things return to “normal” and all of these companies that haven’t been making any profit have to then pay their workers? Won’t ****ing work will it. It’s all well and good locking the country down, but then what? Perhaps if the government hadn’t been arse ****ing the NHS for the last few years they wouldn’t have to start frantically Flapping. This isn’t the result of a virus, this is a result of cost cutting and what happens when shit hits the fan. 

No healthcare system in the World would be able to sustain the amount of cases it would get if we just carried on as normal.

Of course this is the result of the virus.

Maybe the public take some blame as well, A&E is virtually empty now (15-20% at times of usual amounts) - it just shows how essential it really was for all these people to stretch it to breaking point.

1 hour ago, Sir Shep said:

Living in a new build I can see the contractors and builders are all up and about carrying on. Really need to sort out the money for the self employed as I’d imagine most don’t want to be there. Also, do Londoners really think that this doesn’t apply to them, I see the parks are busy again and whilst the tube isn’t exactly their fault, but I mean, come on. 

New build in Ashby?

If so pop out with a tray of biscuits and a few brews, cheers.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

No healthcare system in the World would be able to sustain the amount of cases it would get if we just carried on as normal.

Of course this is the result of the virus.

Maybe the public take some blame as well, A&E is virtually empty now (15-20% at times of usual amounts) - it just shows how essential it really was for all these people to stretch it to breaking point.

Perhaps not, but the fact the NHS a have been telling the government for years that they can’t cope with the constant corner cutting and lack of significant investment has eventually taken it’s toll. I agree no world health service could cope, but surely there is always a threat something like this can happen? It’s life, and often that is what is forgotten. There’s no denying this pandemic is stretching the NHS beyond belief, but the concerning thing is they were stretched before, and this is not acceptable. They didn’t stand a chance from the offset.

Similarly like the police, who don’t have a cat in hells chance of implementing these new restrictions across the county. 

5 minutes ago, joachim1965 said:

If that really is a photo from this morning that is outrageous. 

3 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Are you serious.......or just using an old photo

Just now, joachim1965 said:

That must be an old photo.

From today's BBC news feed 09.47

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52013888

From the BBC site:

The lockdown in 
Wuhan, the Chinese city where the global coronavirus outbreak began, will be partially lifted on 8 April. Travel restrictions in the rest of Hubei province will be lifted from midnight on Tuesday - for residents who are healthy

Will be interesting to see what happens once they lift restrictions. I can't say I'm confident.

12 hours ago, jammie82uk said:

This is from the latest video released after his speech so unless your job falls under being a key worker you stay at homeB82C2AE8-A836-4B71-85AB-7E144FF8628B.thumb.jpeg.e94b610935f38a84523f13623f50869f.jpegE31FA1F8-2779-45F9-ABEF-29B6661BE67A.thumb.jpeg.e4ed994b459fa9dc2f8864bb02204909.jpeg

I had to drive to work today to collect my tools and materials, I’ve cancelled my contract with as things stand a cost at my end. Hopefully that will get waived in light of circumstances. My kids will stop going school from tomorrow.

2 hours ago, String fellow said:

If people stop using their cars for extended periods of time e.g. folk in 12-week self-isolation, won't flat batteries become an issue? With modern cars especially, loss of power to all their electronics might cause all sorts of problems. 

Just disconnect the battery, or better still, use a battery tender.

Surely nothing will change until there’s a vaccine? It wall always be there, parts of China are set to lift their lockdowns but what then if it starts to spread again? By bringing the country to a haunt, it might temporarily halt the spread, but will it not just accelerate again once restrictions are lifted? 

Just now, Pliskin said:

Surely nothing will change until there’s a vaccine? It wall always be there, parts of China are set to lift their lockdowns but what then if it starts to spread again? By bringing the country to a haunt, it might temporarily halt the spread, but will it not just accelerate again once restrictions are lifted? 

It could quite possibly become endemic before a vaccine is released tbh. 

As has been said right from the start, the disease itself isn't the most terrifying in history. 

One of the biggest problems is that its new, you've never been exposed to it before so your body has no idea how to fight it. This makes it easier for the virus to spread and harder for your body to get rid of it when you have it, making the impact of having it worse.

Eventually, as people get it and survive, even in those in the at risk groups (diabetics, asthmatics, etc), people develop immunity and resistance like they do to all diseases and its impact becomes less. 

The point of a lockdown isn't really to eradicate the disease, that can't really happen tbh. Or, it's highly unlikely without vaccination. The point of the lockdown is to stem the tide of the rate of infection. 

The more people that get it at once, the bigger strain on health services, the more chance there is that at risk people will die. If you can slow the spread so that people get it gradually and in stages, or rarely, like influenza then it becomes much more manageable and treatable. 

If it became endemic, it's rate of mortality would be much much less scary than it currently is. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

It could quite possibly become endemic before a vaccine is released tbh. 

As has been said right from the start, the disease itself isn't the most terrifying in history. 

One of the biggest problems is that its new, you've never been exposed to it before so your body has no idea how to fight it. This makes it easier for the virus to spread and harder for your body to get rid of it when you have it, making the impact of having it worse.

Eventually, as people get it and survive, even in those in the at risk groups (diabetics, asthmatics, etc), people develop immunity and resistance like they do to all diseases and its impact becomes less. 

The point of a lockdown isn't really to eradicate the disease, that can't really happen tbh. Or, it's highly unlikely without vaccination. The point of the lockdown is to stem the tide of the rate of infection. 

The more people that get it at once, the bigger strain on health services, the more chance there is that at risk people will die. If you can slow the spread so that people get it gradually and in stages, or rarely, like influenza then it becomes much more manageable and treatable. 

If it became endemic, it's rate of mortality would be much much less scary than it currently is. 

It's been endemic for quite some time. In fact it's now pandemic.

34 minutes ago, MattP said:

People aren't being admitted, people aren't being referred by doctors, 111 and 999 and deferring things they wouldn't have before. Paramedics are leaving at home people who would norming be taking in as they are told not to. 

I know someone who had a heart attack, something that would normally be an admission job. He got taken in ambulance, looked at by a doctor, whizzed around for a scan and shoved out the door with a, "you're better off at home". 

It's not down to a few time wasters, it's down to a total change in system.

• Like 3

Office is closed, but classed as a “Key worker” so working from home. 

Few observations, 3 hours into WFH today.

- Joe Wicks workout at 0900, live streamed on YouTube was superb. 6 year old loved it.

- IXL - For any parents struggling to find work / engage their kids / school their kids from home,  have a look at IXL. £12 a month, it has however allowed me to give the boy some structure and ensure he gets to keep learning whilst I’m working. 

- I have no self discipline, the lockdown snack and treats are going to take a battering. I’ll come out of this lockdown looking like Gary Taylor-Fletcher!

• Haha 1

Genuine question - our office is all working from home, and my colleague's home computer keeps crashing so he wants to use the work laptop which is currently at my house.

I was planning on going out cycling today anyway (leave the house once a day for exercise) and I take the laptop and leave it at his front door, am I breaking any rules?

I know the chances of getting caught are slim but I can't afford any fines that might be imposed. But also we can't afford to not have him working!

8 minutes ago, simFox said:

It's been endemic for quite some time. In fact it's now pandemic.

I think an endemic disease is something that is widely found among a population, like flu, that our bodies know how to tackle.  The point is, this is an entirely new virus, so not endemic.