Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Just now, Izzy said:

I guess they won't.

If anyone is stopped and asked they'll just say they're on their way to buy food/essentials I'd imagine.

If I get stopped by the Police, I'll be honest about it, I've been contacted by my employers and told to go to work.

If they send me home and pay my dickhead managers a visit, all the better.

• Haha 4

Just now, ithuriel said:

If I get stopped by the Police, I'll be honest about it, I've been contacted by my employers and told to go to work.

If they send me home and pay my dickhead managers a visit, all the better.

Unless you're employed as a key worker, then I think you've got every right to tell you manager to fvck off.

Mixed messages? It’s pretty simple, stay at home unless you need to get food, medicine and can exercise outdoors once a day. As for work, that’s down to your employer to look after your health and safety and I’m sure they will be updating you all tomorrow or at least should be. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, String fellow said:

How will folk be prevented from just jumping in the car and going for a drive? If there aren't enough police to man road blocks, doesn't that mean bringing in the army?

They won’t be.They are trying to treat us like adults.If people want to risk going for a drive it’s their look out.Everyone with half a brain will follow the requests to stay in which is the best way to protect yourself and your loved ones.Only going out If absolutely necessary.

In terms of drip feeding us news and certain restrictions over the past 9 days or so I do have a genuine question, do you think they knew all along this lock down would come? And how long ago could it have been possibly been decided? 

1 minute ago, EastAnglianFox said:

In terms of drip feeding us news and certain restrictions over the past 9 days or so I do have a genuine question, do you think they knew all along this lock down would come? And how long ago could it have been possibly been decided? 

They said all along that they would bring in these measures ‘at the right time, when it’s peaking’. But who knows if they had planned it for today all along, or whether they have been pressured by new evidence / the public into bringing it forward.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Corky said:

Yep. I, like many others I'm sure on here, will come into neither category- I'm not a key worker but don't work in a non-essential shop either. I travel on public transport (which, actually, is fairly safe at the moment as so few people are using them) so I may well be stopped by authority at some point.

Companies have a duty now to set up working from home or giving official guidance to workers about having to come in to an office. I could work from home but can't right now, if you get my drift.

I’m 50 out of office, 50 in office/wfh. Tomorrow’s meetings I have got lined up are with purposely 1 other person. 

The reality is I turn around tomorrow and say I ain’t coming. Then, my employer will be questioning why. 

Building sites and warehouses are a huge example where hundreds of people come into contact with each other. Self employed workmen additionally going into peoples houses every day. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

On 26/01/2020 at 07:43, simFox said:

Surprised there is no thread on this. This feels different somehow, I don't think we'll all die, but I think a lot of people will.

Coincidence?

https://www.nature.com/news/inside-the-chinese-lab-poised-to-study-world-s-most-dangerous-pathogens-1.21487

axVMIi9I__01.png

On 26/01/2020 at 08:12, leicsmac said:

Cytokine storms are the reason the 1918 flu pandemic killed so many people, particularly healthy people with good immune systems.

However, it seems that firstly this virus isn't causing such storms regularly given that what we know about the death toll indicates it's hitting the old and infirm hardest, and while the world is a much smaller place than it was then we're also better at both containment and understanding, so while there likely will be many more cases and given my own location I'm keeping a rather close eye on the whole thing, I expect it will less devastating than the H1N1 flu pandemic about 10 years ago and possibly less so than the SARS epidemic.

The gene sequence has also been isolated relatively quickly which will help with efforts to synthesise a vaccine.

On 26/01/2020 at 08:44, UniFox21 said:

I'm taking a lot of whats being said with a pinch of salt. Haven't directly been told who is dying from the virus, with it most likely being the elderly, young and chronically ill. They still don't know a huge amount about it, transmission is an iffy one given they're unsure if its animal to human or solely human to human. 

Yes they've got the genetic sequence but it could be mutating quickly so that may change. Hopefully this is dealt with quickly.

Important to note that these numbers aren't as much as the seasonal flu we get annually, yet we don't panic on that.

On 26/01/2020 at 09:08, LinekersLugs said:

Make no mistake this is controllable 

mass media hysteria for click bate 

SARS and Bird Flu where much bigger than this and were contained 

the vaccine is being worked on already 

@simFox - looks like, regrettably, your hunch was right. 

No animosity meant to the other three quoted, it was just interesting what the following 3 responding posts were.   

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

We have to stop worrying about what other people are doing and start looking after ourselves and loved ones.Follow the rules and you massively cut the risk of infection.

Problem for a lot of folk is they are simply worried about their jobs. At best trying to get another couple of weeks pay before it closes off for good. 

All he had to say was ‘all non-home based work activities are to stop except for the key workers’

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

Why are people trying to find problems and 'But what he said doesn't specifically apply to me' issues and excuses?

The message, for me, has been pretty clear from day one...There are a number of stages, and this is the latest one.

You're being asked to think like grown ups and make a sensible decision.

A mate of mine took his son to his Parcour session yesterday and the kid had a nasty accident and ended up in A&E. Seriously, wtf.

Why do you need the police/army/roadblocks, etc?

And yes, @RumbleFox made an incredibly good point earlier about going to work...but I'm pretty sure those particular set of unfortunate circumstances don't apply to the majority.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

Mixed messages? It’s pretty simple, stay at home unless you need to get food, medicine and can exercise outdoors once a day. As for work, that’s down to your employer to look after your health and safety and I’m sure they will be updating you all tomorrow or at least should be. 

But this is precisely the point. Boris literally said this...

"travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home."

The construction industry can't work from home and the above implies to some extent at least that jobs that can't be done from home are exceptions.

I'm not suggesting that they should be working and I'm not asking to be spoon fed - I've been pretty cautious - but I know for a fact there will be construction sites up and down the country plowing on tomorrow and indeed I heard on friday from a contractor we're currently working with on £50m job that they won't stop until they are forced to shut down. 

Edited by ajthefox

18 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Can’t answer that but I’m sure the big companies get a heads up before hand, for instance Vauxhall’s two plants were shut down last week, apparently they’re now making ventilators at one of them.

Not an easy thing to switch too from car production so do the Govt take the top bosses of certain industries to one side and tell them what’s going to be the next move?

Edited by promised land
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Milo said:

Why are people trying to find problems and 'But what he said doesn't specifically apply to me' issues and excuses?

Because there are self employed people who potentially looking at three to four months of no pay and/or SSP. If they are told explicitly they can’t work, they won’t work 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Because there are self employed people who potentially looking at three to four months of no pay and/or SSP. If they are told explicitly they can’t work, they won’t work 

Yes, I know...I'm one of them.

I'm looking at 4 months of no income.

But I'm staying home.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Thursday last week

Just now, pds said:

I have been for the last 2 hours. Audio book on trying to forget it all.

Aye. You nearby to a park or open space? 

You can exercise once, they didn't stipulate how long ago you could take advantage and clear off into the wilderness. 

8 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Problem for a lot of folk is they are simply worried about their jobs. At best trying to get another couple of weeks pay before it closes off for good. 

All he had to say was ‘all non-home based work activities are to stop except for the key workers’

I totally understand your point.Unfortunately there is going to be very little to do now anyway.