Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

43 minutes ago, browniefox said:

If you can't maintain 2 metre distance at all times you shouldn't be there. Don't know what you do but that's a big point of Boris' lockdown speech. 

I'm an engineer. Just announced we're finishing packing these last orders. Doors shut at 9.

Feel like shit letting customers down. :(

• Sad 1

I work in the construction industry selling to the house builders. All office staff are working from home but as it stands the shop floor are still operating and we are installing on sites. However this morning one of the national builders has closed all sites so that could start a domino effect. If we can’t install then we can’t invoice which will cause all kinds of problems.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I'm not sure why bicycle shops fall under the places that can stay open, unless it's for repairs. But you shouldn't be out shopping in Halfords.

Why are these places trying to find loopholes to stay open, just shut up shop ffs and protect your staff.

My workplace still open. All office staff working from home, canteen been closed down, making people eat there lunches in the car. Management are saying we are essential workers when in reality we are far from it. 

I feel like they won’t take this seriously until someone dies or becomes majorly ill.

Living in a new build I can see the contractors and builders are all up and about carrying on. Really need to sort out the money for the self employed as I’d imagine most don’t want to be there. Also, do Londoners really think that this doesn’t apply to them, I see the parks are busy again and whilst the tube isn’t exactly their fault, but I mean, come on. 

Our office has been closed now (although most of us were already working from home)

Warehouse remains open but only with a few staff working in rotation. So we can at least still get orders out of the door, albeit slower than usual (and that's saying something based on what I see when I walk round the shopfloor in normal times!)

1 minute ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

My workplace still open. All office staff working from home, canteen been closed down, making people eat there lunches in the car. Management are saying we are essential workers when in reality we are far from it. 

I feel like they won’t take this seriously until someone dies or becomes majorly ill.

More canon fodder.

Surely the IOC will postpone the Olympics today? 

Australia, Canada, Norway and GB have said they won't be sending teams to Tokyo. It's hard to see it being able to go ahead.

Relatively insiginificant in the overall scheme of things - the fact that the Olympics being cancelled is fairly low level news shows what crazy times we are in!

16 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

The government need to be really clear as to what/who are essential.

What is needed to allow the country to function? Which businesses are vital to supporting those services?  Outside of that, most things will be a luxury.  It is for the government then to draw a line in the sand and decide which "luxuries" will bring enough benefit to make them worthwhile with continuing, or what measures they can bring in to delay or pause certain industries.

Allowing individual businesses to decide how important they are is a recipe for disaster.

A bit odd why no announcement on the Kasabian gig on 20th June. 50 odd thousand people on Vickie Park is not going to happen. I'm guessing that Soulsby doesn't want to call it off to avoid getting a bill from the promoters. 

I'm in today - an for the forseeable - and as I left this morning there were a good six people outside milling about.

Entirely likely that they were all using their one-per-day allocation. A chance, too, that they were flouting the governmental advice owing to a 'I'm more sensible than that' judgement.

12 minutes ago, nnfox said:

The government need to be really clear as to what/who are essential.

What is needed to allow the country to function? Which businesses are vital to supporting those services?  Outside of that, most things will be a luxury.  It is for the government then to draw a line in the sand and decide which "luxuries" will bring enough benefit to make them worthwhile with continuing, or what measures they can bring in to delay or pause certain industries.

Allowing individual businesses to decide how important they are is a recipe for disaster.

Nope.

Do you honestly think that the Govt could draw a plan of all businesses, offshoots, niche business, multi discipline sites, b2b's, etc?

Impossible. 

9 minutes ago, Milo said:

Nope.

Do you honestly think that the Govt could draw a plan of all businesses, offshoots, niche business, multi discipline sites, b2b's, etc?

Impossible. 

They could specify which ones are essential. Then the ones that are essential could specify which businesses are essential to them operating effectively. 

19 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

My brother works for a quarry, they’ve all been Told they may be going home.

I wonder how ****ed the economy will be after all of this? 

Very. Lots of businesses, big and small won't survive this. People are going to be starting from nothing. The support from the government will  need to go on past the end of this crisis.

22 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Very. Lots of businesses, big and small won't survive this. People are going to be starting from nothing. The support from the government will  need to go on past the end of this crisis.

That’s the thing, all of this stepping in paying wages, what happens when things return to “normal” and all of these companies that haven’t been making any profit have to then pay their workers? Won’t ****ing work will it. It’s all well and good locking the country down, but then what? Perhaps if the government hadn’t been arse ****ing the NHS for the last few years they wouldn’t have to start frantically Flapping. This isn’t the result of a virus, this is a result of cost cutting and what happens when shit hits the fan.