Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

That gov.uk info isn’t what he said in his speech and is misleading, I wonder if they’ve put up the guidelines for the next step in error as bbc, sky etc gave the impression to avoid travel to work unless necessary and you can’t work from home.

I’m self employed and can’t work from home, I also need to feed my family and pay bills. I work alone and don’t use public transport however. My understanding that for the time being I can work. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

@simFox - looks like, regrettably, your hunch was right. 

No animosity meant to the other three quoted, it was just interesting what the following 3 responding posts were.   

To be fair and to back up what I said:

"However, it seems that firstly this virus isn't causing such [cytokine] storms regularly given that what we know about the death toll indicates it's hitting the old and infirm hardest" - true, based on the information we currently have.

"and while the world is a much smaller place than it was then we're also better at both containment and understanding" - given the amount of advances in medical science this should be true too, human stupidity when it comes to following regs notwithstanding.

"so while there likely will be many more cases and given my own location I'm keeping a rather close eye on the whole thing, I expect it will (be) less devastating than the H1N1 flu pandemic about 10 years ago and possibly less so than the SARS epidemic." - right now, globally, Covid-19 stands on roughly 380,000 cases and 16,500 deaths globally. The H1N1 "swine flu" outbreak in 2009 had 700 million-1.4 billion cases estimated overall, and anywhere from 150,000-575,000 deaths globally. So while it's entirely possible that CV-19 could reach those numbers yet, there's still a ways to go.

(Does anyone remember the government measures taken during the swine flu pandemic btw? Were they as extreme as this?)

"The gene sequence has also been isolated relatively quickly which will help with efforts to synthesise a vaccine" - again, true, as far as we know.

So while I'll absolutely hold my hands up and say that I didn't expect upheaval of this magnitude, I stand by what I said there at the start.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

That gov.uk info isn’t what he said in his speech and is misleading, I wonder if they’ve put up the guidelines for the next step in error as bbc, sky etc gave the impression to avoid travel to work unless necessary and you can’t work from home.

I’m self employed and can’t work from home, I also need to feed my family and pay bills. I work alone and don’t use public transport however. My understanding that for the time being I can work. 

In the same boat as you and been self employed since the ‘90’s, the fact we got shit on by the chancellor last week when every man and his dog is going to get 80% of their wage means we are going in tomorrow.

Construction site though and by all accounts they’re ok and we have a crane booked first thing.

No work means no money for some of us.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

In terms of drip feeding us news and certain restrictions over the past 9 days or so I do have a genuine question, do you think they knew all along this lock down would come? And how long ago could it have been possibly been decided? 

I think they always knew and it’s a phased implementation. 

It’s a fine balance act between getting enough people infected with it, so we gain immunity; to a massive spike and sinking the NHS. 

It’ll go further yet, as it’s fairly ambiguous to what should be open. I work in construction materials supply and all of our customers are confused. I phoned them last night to clarify if they still wanted stuff.

We will stay open, as we service the road network, to fix damage, pot holes etc etc (great time to sort them all out). I’m not sure people should still be working on housing sites! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LinekersLugs said:

Any word on dogging ? 

is it banned ?? 

Or is it exercise once a day ??

*asking for a friend 

................. I suppose it’s okay. If only your friend and mine are there?!? ......... oh, can you, sorry your friend, keep two mergers away from my friends wife. :ph34r:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, promised land said:

In the same boat as you and been self employed since the ‘90’s, the fact we got shit on by the chancellor last week when every man and his dog is going to get 80% of their wage means we are going in tomorrow.

Construction site though and by all accounts they’re ok and we have a crane booked first thing.

No work means no money for some of us.

Which is exactly why the country can’t just stop. The announcement the other week has simply glossed over some of the bigger issues. The first thing that should have happened after securing the future of the NHS should have been ensuring self employed personnel had the correct backing, which in my opinion they have failed to do. 

But also how does this parachute payment protect businesses? What if a business relies on its turn over to simply operate? With wages covered what happens then? Won’t that just ensure the workers get paid until this is blown over? And then the business likely has to fold because the world has effectively stopped for three months? 

Everything has happened far too quickly to have been thought out enough in my opinion.

On a side note what are the government proposing to do about those who suffer with mental health problems, who’s life depends of social interaction? Now more than ever if is important that we reach out to those who need it, because I fear this will only make their situations worse. 

3 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Went to do my weekly shop at my local Morrisons yesterday evening. Got close to the turn for the retail park and there were cars queueing round the roundabout and up the A-road. Thought "FFS".

Turns out the cretins were all queueing for their last burger at the McDonald's round the corner. Supermarket basically empty.

This country is pathetic.

There were cars queuing down the road for McDonalds in Melton yesterday afternoon. Crazy. Even as  someone who is partial to the odd BigMac myself I cannot forsee any circumstances in which I would consider grabbing one last McDonalds as a priority!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bovril said:

My hands are totally ****ed from the washing. Finally got some e45 cream today but I look like the old woman from Titanic. Getting really uncomfortable too (no wanking jokes please). 

Ever tried Zerobase? My hands get really dry in Winter especially cause I wash my hands a lot (even when there's not a pandemic on) and this is the best stuff I've used. Not oily, great if your skin's cracking

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zerobase-Emollient-Cream-500g-Pack/dp/B0174SDNOK/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=base+cream&qid=1585034604&sr=8-8&swrs=57950C3DD07DB0BE1CFC7048BF0AFC24

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Palpable tension at my work today. Waiting for the main boss to get in at 7:30. People don't want to be here at all. 

Have to agree tbh. Love my job, but it ain't worth dying over eh. 

If you can't maintain 2 metre distance at all times you shouldn't be there. Don't know what you do but that's a big point of Boris' lockdown speech. 

9 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

In terms of drip feeding us news and certain restrictions over the past 9 days or so I do have a genuine question, do you think they knew all along this lock down would come? And how long ago could it have been possibly been decided? 

Of course. They would have had hundreds of situations modelled. 

9 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Yes, we're key workers.

However, since Royal Mail have done nothing to provide masks, gloves, sanitizer, not introduced ways to work at safe distance from each other and until today we've been working two to a van, the Union want us not to work until that changes.

I've heard this evening we'll be working one to a van from tomorrow and introducing a two metre distancing rule but no idea how that will work because the sorting boards are basically back to back with little room to move between. Fortunately, I work in the only small office in Leicester that's not been moved into the big Meridian centre, where there must be over 400 workers.

I volunteered to work my day off tomorrow, cos we've got so many off... starting to seem like a bad decision. :(

OK mate thanks, stay safe as much as you can! 

• Like 1

If people stop using their cars for extended periods of time e.g. folk in 12-week self-isolation, won't flat batteries become an issue? With modern cars especially, loss of power to all their electronics might cause all sorts of problems. 

2 minutes ago, String fellow said:

If people stop using their cars for extended periods of time e.g. folk in 12-week self-isolation, won't flat batteries become an issue? With modern cars especially, loss of power to all their electronics might cause all sorts of problems. 

Drive out to the shops? Take it for a spin (literally few minutes) if possible? 

I doubt it's the top priority for anyone these days but can't think of anything else to get round it? 

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Drive out to the shops? Take it for a spin (literally few minutes) if possible? 

I doubt it's the top priority for anyone these days but can't think of anything else to get round it? 

You can tick it over for ten minutes a day and it will keep the battery up.