Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Wayne Rooney, not at all nailing it for me.

Now I didn’t see what MH said about footballers but to be fair it was clearly on the nations mind, even being discussed on this forum a lot. What I did see though was clubs furloughing it’s non playing staff whilst the highest earners, ie the players, weren’t touched. Kind of ow it feels for us joe public at the moment (and I am on furlough so down nearly £100 a week). 

For me the players could have acted a lot sooner, probably as soon as the clubs started to lay off their staff. Now I view as the players finding their scapegoat to deflect the attention from their selfishness. 

• Like 2

I think it's important to remember that most footballers are from working class, inner city backgrounds and probably really do care at this point. I'd also argue the footballers who are parents really want to do something.

Yes, players should have acted but he's right - if they all collective took a pay cut - is that money actually GOING to NHS or will it stay in an oil baron's pockets? 

7 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

Wayne Rooney, not at all nailing it for me.

Now I didn’t see what MH said about footballers but to be fair it was clearly on the nations mind, even being discussed on this forum a lot. What I did see though was clubs furloughing it’s non playing staff whilst the highest earners, ie the players, weren’t touched. Kind of ow it feels for us joe public at the moment (and I am on furlough so down nearly £100 a week). 

For me the players could have acted a lot sooner, probably as soon as the clubs started to lay off their staff. Now I view as the players finding their scapegoat to deflect the attention from their selfishness. 

I'll state (again) that I think Rooney's annoyance (and maybe other footballers too) stems from footballers always being targeted. Why not billionaires or companies they work for who avoid tax in this country? 

You say players could have acted sooner? How do we know some haven't? Just because it isn't in the public domain doesn't mean they haven't acted. And what about any donations already given?

I'm sure Vardy isn't the only player who has given £10k or any sum to a hospital/charity. 

• Like 4

the footballers are being hung out to dry by the PFA. I wonder if their union leader Gordon Taylor is taking a pay cut?

It isn't down to individual employees (footballers) to come up with a salary sacrifice scheme across all their members - some of whom do not earn the easily quoted £200,000 a week.

Even if a random player phones his chairman and says "Boss, I want to take a pay cut". Then what? It is up to the clubs to take action - they can cut the pay of high earning employees and then I guess they can either donate it to good causes, or to help support their own club during the crisis.

9 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I'll state (again) that I think Rooney's annoyance (and maybe other footballers too) stems from footballers always being targeted. Why not billionaires or companies they work for who avoid tax in this country? 

You say players could have acted sooner? How do we know some haven't? Just because it isn't in the public domain doesn't mean they haven't acted. And what about any donations already given?

I'm sure Vardy isn't the only player who has given £10k or any sum to a hospital/charity. 

I don’t know if they have or haven’t,  and yes I agree other rich folk should be targeted, yet I’ll state again that clubs have furloughed staff but not their players. I guess it’s easy for footballers to be targeted when they are in the public’s eye the most, more than any other sports star I’d say and yet a couple of them (and it only takes a couple out of thousands) go and act stupidly and keeping them in the public eye. 

Whilst i agree that footballers should not be made scapegoats, i think Rooney's comments regarding Hancock are unfair.  Hancock was responding to a specific question from a journalist during one of the daily updates. What was he going to say? If he had made any hint that he didn't think they should take a pay cut, or tried to avoid the issue, it would have been headline news next day.  

Footballers are in this strange situation where their income is common knowledge. How many other top earners have their income discussed so openly? They are well known figures who are easy targets for the press.

Its a mess and the PFA should have set up a fund that the players could donate to. That way they would have paid the full amount of tax, the players could donate at a level they are comfortable with, and i'm sure the amount raised would quickly shut down the bad publicity.  Time for the PFA to earn their keep!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MiDuck55 said:

Whilst i agree that footballers should not be made scapegoats, i think Rooney's comments regarding Hancock are unfair.  Hancock was responding to a specific question from a journalist during one of the daily updates. What was he going to say? If he had made any hint that he didn't think they should take a pay cut, or tried to avoid the issue, it would have been headline news next day.  

Footballers are in this strange situation where their income is common knowledge. How many other top earners have their income discussed so openly? They are well known figures who are easy targets for the press.

Its a mess and the PFA should have set up a fund that the players could donate to. That way they would have paid the full amount of tax, the players could donate at a level they are comfortable with, and i'm sure the amount raised would quickly shut down the bad publicity.  Time for the PFA to earn their keep!

Spot on, they should definitely be setting up a donation fund, it's a win win, the government gets the tax due and also a sizeable donation from people who can afford it, players should not be forced into donating, but I can imagine a decent amount doing so.

38 minutes ago, MiDuck55 said:

I agree. When it first came out I mentioned it was quite sly from the Times journalist to ask it when there were perhaps more pressing matters to ask about testing/equipment... 

As Rooney stated, it's a question of where that money goes once it's been cut from their salary. I don't think players mind taking the cut but it's knowing if it's going to go to a worthy cause or direct to the NHS. Maybe that's why they prefer to do their donations separately or privately. 

Whether it's right or wrong or fair or moral or whatever... the thing that gets me about saying footballers should contribute and take a pay cut, is that it's coming from the same government who were banging on about 'free-market capitalism' less than six months ago.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Wymsey said:

I read earlier on the BBC website that the government dismissed claims from Russia that he was on one today.

How would the latter know about his situation?

I wouldn’t put it past the Russians having an agent in the hospital where Boris is, but of cause I’m not usually one to believe conspiracy’s! 

11 hours ago, brucey said:

11 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Probably the best published information we have so far is from the Intensive Care National Audit and Research Center (ICNARC) in the UK. Of 165 patients admitted to ICUs, 79 (48%) died. Of the 98 patients who received advanced respiratory support—defined as invasive ventilation, BPAP or CPAP via endotracheal tube, or tracheostomy, or extracorporeal respiratory support—66% died.

If Gov is correct and Boris isn’t on a ventilator then his chances have increased.

17 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

I wouldn’t put it past the Russians having an agent in the hospital where Boris is, but of cause I’m not usually one to believe conspiracy’s! 

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/russia-report-explained-uk-elections-brexit_uk_5dca5a17e4b02bf579458042?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9kdWNrZHVja2dvLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAKMFRllLOaVMi9aau51uRhEukjGMFlAxmAWNwapFklyATEMh4kjW-_1dZ5jwec7Xje4pet_MsXzSala5Bbv_OoGRhFSRQwmVztQoow6felfgj5IGyK4fBmcw0JPD2ohyAJUu7GDv47l7j7XopBvO6Ok4KupwuT-48SWP6xEPtkWa

The Sunday Times claimed that nine Russian business people who gave money to the Tory Party are named in the report in what is the first major leak from the publication.”

It’s cool. They’re all friends.

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Hancock was asked a question directly about it at the briefing, he could hardly just ignore it.

As for Rooney - he shouldn't need the government to ask him. Just get together and do it, the Spanish and Italian players have managed it fine.

Rooney needs to shut up and get the PFA to earn their crust, and Wayne, if you don`t want to be treated as a special case then don`t act like one. You have a union, use it.

Edited by Dahnsouff

I think, ultimately, it's up to the clubs and whether or not they think they can continue to pay their players wages until we resume the season. If this goes on for 6 months and there's no revenue coming in, clubs will end up having to get rid of players, contracts or not.    

Sense I'm in the minority here but I think footballers are being unfairly scapegoated. I've seen plenty of posts on social media about it.

I don't think they should have to give up pay, unless they want to (which I hope many would). The clubs who are abusing furlough laws should be the ones being targeted, not the footballers themselves.

1 hour ago, 0690 said:

Will the Queen be giving up 30% of her income? 

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

Circa 240 million a year isn't it? Untaxed too. 

She’s worth every penny. 
The amount she brings into this country in tourism alone is worth way more than £240m

The Queen offers a great ROI so leave her alone 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

She’s worth every penny. 
The amount she brings into this country in tourism alone is worth way more than £240m

The Queen offers a great ROI so leave her alone 

That doesn't mean she shouldn't provide in a time of need. 

Stop being a blinkered royalist, Izz. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, bmt said:

Sense I'm in the minority here but I think footballers are being unfairly scapegoated. I've seen plenty of posts on social media about it.

I don't think they should have to give up pay, unless they want to (which I hope many would). The clubs who are abusing furlough laws should be the ones being targeted, not the footballers themselves.

Does that include ours?

13 minutes ago, MattP said:

Hancock was asked a question directly about it at the briefing, he could hardly just ignore it.

As for Rooney - he shouldn't need the government to ask him. Just get together and do it, the Spanish and Italian players have managed it fine.

Yeah I'm sick of hearing about footballers taking their time to organise a collected wage cut. Get it done and clubs should use that money to ensure no staff are paid by the Government and the rest can be donated to the NHS.

Personally think Rooney has a brass neck to sit there whinging about people asking him to take a pay cut on the day his football club has furloughed staff on a fraction of what he earns.

• Like 3