Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

26 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

What did he say?

IMG_20200407_144358.thumb.jpg.c4ba2a35c41393ddcc9a67a5feaf0855.jpg

'worked like mad... But it's not good enough so far' 

What's meant to be not good enough or good enough lol

Such an odd comment to make. Stuck in his DWP days no doubt. Probably class Boris as fit to work right now. 

6 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Yeah it's bad, I'm not saying it's not. What I'm saying is like I said yesterday, there are certain posters who are waiting for that large number and seem to get off from posting it, yet when it's lower they go quiet. I get BBC news notifications on my phone. I posted yesterdays lower figure when I got that notification which comes around the same time most days, and the usual suspects were very quiet. Today, I haven't had that notification on my phone yet, it's too early, yet one of those posters is straight in there with telling us it's getting worse. I just find it odd. Do they get some kind of kick from telling us it's bad, do they feel more alive because they are worrying more? I genuinely can't get my head around it.

No I’m sure they don’t - why don’t you just worry about yourself ??

I was in Sainsbury’s yesterday with no reception - next time I’ll make sure I’m around when the numbers are lower just to make you feel better !!!!

Edited by st albans fox

15 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Yeah it's bad, I'm not saying it's not. What I'm saying is like I said yesterday, there are certain posters who are waiting for that large number and seem to get off from posting it, yet when it's lower they go quiet. I get BBC news notifications on my phone. I posted yesterdays lower figure when I got that notification which comes around the same time most days, and the usual suspects were very quiet. Today, I haven't had that notification on my phone yet, it's too early, yet one of those posters is straight in there with telling us it's getting worse. I just find it odd. Do they get some kind of kick from telling us it's bad, do they feel more alive because they are worrying more? I genuinely can't get my head around it.

The daily figures are posted around 2.30pm most days on Twitter, including today, but yesterday it came out around 5pm. Maybe the BBC notifications are just slower and come out at 5pm regardless? 

You may well be right, I think there's an element of wanting to be overcautious rather than undercautious. But this was the first time the deaths had dropped significantly, so essentially you're basing this on one occurrence when the figures were released later than usual anyway. 

Edited by brucey

6 minutes ago, brucey said:

The daily figures are posted around 2.30pm most days on Twitter, including today, but yesterday it came out around 5pm. Maybe the BBC notifications are just slower and come out at 5pm regardless? 

You may well be right, I think there's an element of wanting to be overcautious rather than undercautious. But this was the first time the deaths had dropped significantly, so essentially you're basing this on one occurrence when the figures were released later than usual anyway. 

I was driving home from work at 5pm yesterday, they were much earlier than that.

8 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I was driving home from work at 5pm yesterday, they were much earlier than that.

Just pointing out that depending on what source someone uses, and not everyone is online at the same time every day, that it could be a possible reason for the discrepancy. At least this is the source I use, some people refresh the government website which may update earlier, but even there release times have varied wildly before. 

Screenshot_20200407_150346.jpg

Screenshot_20200407_150226_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200407_150154_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by brucey

1 minute ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Interesting - I wonder if they would try this on Boris should he deteriorate 

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/04/02/2004168117

This is unfortunately an extremely poor standard of evidence. Note that they're also using antiviral agents in the cohort, which itself is not an evidence-based treatment. All this suggests is that a randomised controlled trial is worth attempting if feasible.

9 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Husband: "Oh no, Boris is in hospital."

Wife: "Does that mean that Dominic fella is in charge of the country now?"

Husband: "That Dominic fella has been in charge of the country for many months."

Didn't know you had a husband and wife! 

What do you need Tinder for :ph34r:?! 

47 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Horrendous, So why we are allowing planes from hotspots to still land is even more crazy?

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/30/20-planes-coming-uk-every-day-americas-coronavirus-hotspot-12479665/

I asked this 2 weeks ago absolutely incomprehensible.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bryn said:

This is unfortunately an extremely poor standard of evidence. Note that they're also using antiviral agents in the cohort, which itself is not an evidence-based treatment. All this suggests is that a randomised controlled trial is worth attempting if feasible.

Ah, ok - not my area of expertise at all 

21 minutes ago, brucey said:

Just pointing out that depending on what source someone uses, and not everyone is online at the same time every day, that it could be a possible reason for the discrepancy. At least this is the source I use, some people refresh the government website which may update earlier, but even there release times have varied wildly before. 

Screenshot_20200407_150346.jpg

Screenshot_20200407_150226_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200407_150154_com.android.chrome.jpg

We'll see anyway mate. Maybe it was a coincidence, but there have been other occasion where the death rate has been lower the expected, and there wasn't such scramble to post them from the usual suspects. I think it's very sad whats happening, but peoples appetite for shock headlines makes me even sadder. And it's not just deaths, it's any doom and gloom new story about this outbreak that certain people are desperate to share. Like I said yesterday that it was noticeable that 20 minutes after the lower figure was released, nobody had posted, when previously three or four where chomping at the bit to share them. 

Edited by Facecloth

47 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Human nature is to have a fascination with bad stuff.  It's why the media focus on bad news and why people slow down on a motorway to look at a crash on the other side of the road.

It doesn't make them bad people, it's just the way it is.

In terms of numbers, isn't this the flattening of the curve that they talked about?  Originally we were told that they could double every three days.  Today's number is keeping a stable level with the last few days, particularly if you factor in that some of those cases will have been from the weekend and spread across yesterday's artificially low number. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, l444ry said:

Horrendous, So why we are allowing planes from hotspots to still land is even more crazy?

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/30/20-planes-coming-uk-every-day-americas-coronavirus-hotspot-12479665/

People coming home mostly, plus cargo.  The reality is these folks pose no additional risk to the country.  It is already in the community, if some have it chances are it makes no difference.

3 minutes ago, nnfox said:

Human nature is to have a fascination with bad stuff.  It's why the media focus on bad news and why people slow down on a motorway to look at a crash on the other side of the road.

It doesn't make them bad people, it's just the way it is.

I know we all do that, but this is the difference between slowing down to look at a road crash or looking at the aftermath of someone being attacked in the street, and taking a picture of said incident so you can share with as many people as possible.

5 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I know we all do that, but this is the difference between slowing down to look at a road crash or looking at the aftermath of someone being attacked in the street, and taking a picture of said incident so you can share with as many people as possible.

Yes, and lots of people do that.

5 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

We'll see anyway mate. Maybe it was a coincidence, but there have been other occasion where the death rate has been lower the expected, and there wasn't such scramble to post them from the usual suspects. I think it's very sad whats happening, but peoples appetite for shock headlines makes me even sadder. And it's not just deaths, it's any doom and gloom new story about this outbreak that certain people are desperate to share. Like I said yesterday that it was noticeable that 20 minutes after the lower figure was released, nobody had posted, when previously three or four where chomping at the bit to share them. 

Perhaps you may consider me one of those 'doom and gloom posters', at least in late Feb/early March, when I was getting really frustrated at how no one seemed to be taking things seriously, and trying to convey information to no avail with all the 'its just a flu' people. I have always tried to share only facts from published studies etc, but some may feel even that is scare mongering.

For some, these realistic worst case scenario articles, and thus knowing what to potentially expect, is their way to cope with uncertainty, and relieve anxiety. For others, the information is too much, and induces anxiety. The second type is slightly more common on this thread, but both are equally valid coping strategies.

And perhaps if sharing a terrifying but true statistic helps change the mind of one of those people who are still going out for picnics, and helps prevent one infection, it will have been worth it. 

• Like 3