Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

10 hours ago, l444ry said:

Tbf I've been thinking the exact same about the difference in tone talking about Italy vs us.  It's clear they're being told not to panic everybody which is probably for the best, we've all seen how badly our public react to serious news.

• Like 1

Apparently South Korea consider a patient who tests negative twice in 24 hours as recovered. This could explain the 91 reinfections - if the tests aren’t absolutely accurate there could be false negatives.

With over 10000 cases in South Korea, the reporting of 91 reinfections feels about right in terms of allowing for what I’m assuming testing inaccuracies.

Edited by Wet Trump
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

Not sure how we can reduce this we’re on lockdown but still thousands flying into the country every day unchecked don’t make sense

But they have to abide by the rules here once they’ve arrived. So they go to their home here (are you allowing this) or they stay somewhere and have to be socially distant. 

im not sure what you think you’re going to stop anyway - the virus is already well established here - the survey on another thread shows almost 30% could have been affected already ....even if we take a third of them off, that’s still 20% of the population ......

7 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Is there two types of the virus which is why it effects people differently? 

https://www.zmescience.com/science/covid-19-pneumonia-049423/

Whilst significant for those affected badly enough to require hospital treatment, the vast majority of us dont really care how many types there are as long as exposure to one means an immunity to both .... if that’s not the case then there is a really long haul ahead .....

Edited by st albans fox

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

But they have to abide by the rules here once they’ve arrived. So they go to their home here (are you allowing this) or they stay somewhere and have to be socially distant. 

im not sure what you think you’re going to stop anyway - the virus is already well established here - the survey on another thread shows almost 30% could have been affected already ....even if we take a third of them off, that’s still 20% of the population ......

There's a suggestion from one town in Germany that 14% have had the virus. Where's testing in Austria suggests 1%. I'd read something last week suggesting that only quite serious cases produce enough antigens to bring on any form of immunity. It's quite an unclear picture as far as I can see. Think we're way of knowing, though the first large scale testing in Europe is about to start in Germany so perhaps that'll help our understanding. 

4 minutes ago, Toddybad said:

There's a suggestion from one town in Germany that 14% have had the virus. Where's testing in Austria suggests 1%. I'd read something last week suggesting that only quite serious cases produce enough antigens to bring on any form of immunity. It's quite an unclear picture as far as I can see. Think we're way of knowing, though the first large scale testing in Europe is about to start in Germany so perhaps that'll help our understanding. 

If thats true then we’re completely  fooked as even those who have been asymptomatic could still catch it - infact, up to 80% of those who have had it could catch it again .....forget any idea about herd immunity, only a vaccine can return us to normality.......

Guest Markyblue
26 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

If thats true then we’re completely  fooked as even those who have been asymptomatic could still catch it - infact, up to 80% of those who have had it could catch it again .....forget any idea about herd immunity, only a vaccine can return us to normality.......

The German study for gengelt , called the German whuhan has found 15% of people who they didn't think were infected were still found to have the antibodies to combat covid19. So saying you need a more severe dose to get the antibodies is looking very unlikely,  i know you didn't say that by the way.

It may have already been discussed, but I was wondering how long people thought this current lock down will last?, How will it be lifted, specifically in relation to getting people back to work/not working from home?

Guest Markyblue

80% chance of a vaccine being ready in September according to a professor at oxford university. The professor of vaccinology says human trials will begin in the next fortnight. 

3 minutes ago, bfox said:

It may have already been discussed, but I was wondering how long people thought this current lock down will last?, How will it be lifted, specifically in relation to getting people back to work/not working from home?

Without any foundations whatsoever, I reckon another 2 weeks as we are. Then whilst rules will be relaxed they'll still be the request for people to work from home where possible, maybe see office staff starting to do 2 days at work, 3 at home etc. I can't see any public gatherings allowed until end of May.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bluefoxtim said:

Without any foundations whatsoever, I reckon another 2 weeks as we are. Then whilst rules will be relaxed they'll still be the request for people to work from home where possible, maybe see office staff starting to do 2 days at work, 3 at home etc. I can't see any public gatherings allowed until end of May.

I hear whisperings of this but just can not see how government could justify it. Things changing before June seems unlikely and irresponsible to me. We can’t begin surely to justify relaxing the measures until there’s capacity to handle the bed space which means admissions falling dramatically for a sustained period. Compared to other countries we’ve got a way to go and have only done 3 weeks - we kinda know it’s going to take 90 days - 3 months before the spread is manageable? 

• Like 1

Guest Markyblue
2 minutes ago, Bluefoxtim said:

I would think further 3 week lockdown,  followed by phased back to work to kick start the economy with the most vulnerable still self isolating tor another 2 months,  gradually getting back to normal with testing and a type of social distancing. 

13 minutes ago, bfox said:

I think if we are really 2 weeks behind Italy we are looking at at least another month. If cases don't start to decrease they may have to tighten the so-called lockdown for a short while. No suggestion that is imminent.

Those considered the most vunerable were advised to self isolate for 12 weeks. This would take us to mid June. I don't see it being lifted in any substantial way until we are able to more competently test people and then isolate them and their contacts.

Other countries are trying a phased release (Austria for eg) and I guess we will be looking closely at them.

In terms of working from home, lifiting that would be very high risk as it would ential mass use of public transport.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bluefoxtim said:

Depending on what you mean by public gatherings it would seem very unlikely and highly risky to allow them as early as that. One country, I can't recall which, has already stated that large public gatherings will not be allowed until at least August. As football fans there is the real possibility that we will not be allowed back into watch matches for many months.

2 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Strangely on the nose commentary from cult indie DJ Simon Price:

It is weird how quickly our brains insulate us from the size and horror of these numbers.

You can see it in the media coverage; Spain and Italy are dysfunctional, a horror show beyond imagination, surely it couldn't happen here - but now it is happening here, it's weirdly undramatic.

It's not a criticism on my part of anything or anyone, I think it's more that we can only take in and process so much

It's always struck me how we as a nation led by the media can make so much of just a single death than we can of 1000s. I guess the smaller the number we get to know the people involved more especial if it's a one of catastrophic event.