Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

19 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Nadine Dorries tweeting 'The whole country can breathe again' following news Boris is recovering without any hint or sense of irony is disgusting.

Before anyone jumps in, yes it is good that Boris is recovering and out of ICU.

But saying 'the whole country can breathe again' after daily death tolls are nearly hitting 1000 in the UK and we're in a lockdown, let alone the actual virus gripping the country as case numbers remain high is just ridiculously stupid.

It’s probably an indicator of the way the cabinet are viewed by the party re capability to do the job .....

and the bar set by boris isn’t v high ! 

Be interesting to see how busy the roads are tomorrow. Its easter Sunday, supermarkets and other big stores are shut, only the small shops are open. Nowhere to go really unless you're working in a hospital or one of the other few key industries that would be working sunday. The road should pretty much empty, bet they're not.

29 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

The reality is you just can't report mass deaths in the same way, can you? 15 people die in a terror attack and you can learn a lot about them as individuals from the tributes and stories in the papers. There's just not the pages for 1000 people, be they sailors gone down with a battleship in world war II, a Japanese town levelled in an earthquake, victims of a pandemic or whatever.

According to the missus (a psychologist) it's a defence mechanism, particularly acute in the current circumstances, because unlike with something very specific like a transport disaster or terror attack, where a high degree of misfortune is needed to become a victim, this is potentially so close to home that we just shut it out, rather than devoting a lot of emotional energy to making sense of it.

Well it sounded good to me, anyway

Yes there is a lot in what you say. The WWI comparison is relevant only to a small extent. Obviously deaths were off the scale but what started was a listing of those who were killed often accompanied by a photo and some background detail. These were mainly in local papers which were much more relevant then. Hospital admissions were also listed locally, so the Leicester papers would actually list the men who were admitted to hospital, at least weekly, until the Government told them to stop for security reasons.

National newspapers then reported weekly casualty figures of those who had died. Just as now there was a time lag between the death occuring and the death being reported. Because there was no social media there became a morbid fascination with scouring these lists for names of people you knew. Local papers continued to publish photos of the dead and wounded right through the war, even when the length of papers was greatly reduced due to paper shortages etc. I do think the psychology of how society deals with mass deaths, especially those emerging from wars or epidemics, in the media odf all types is actually quite fascinating.

Personally I don't find it very comfortable confronting images of those who die but for others it might be comforting. I guess that's where you point comes in about those who want to shut it put vis a vis those who want to expend emotional energy trying to make sense of it.

If the lockdown stays longer than the  next month, there will be a lot more non corona deaths. Unemployment and suicide will be widespread, probably the biggest numbers we have ever seen.

The impact of that a the deaths in will cause amongst the young and healthy by loss of livelyhoods, homes and lifestyle will be phenomenal.

I cant see the point of keeping lockdown until the end of summer. It makes sense to end it when the NHS can cope with intakes, hopefully better weather will reduce transmission and effect of covid and any other viruses anyway. Keep it until autumn and it will spread like wildfire when traditional colds/viruses are rife, the NHS will instantly be overwhelmed. I would say that's probably the daftest thing we can do. 

Edited by Foxin_Mad

10 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Be interesting to see how busy the roads are tomorrow. Its easter Sunday, supermarkets and other big stores are shut, only the small shops are open. Nowhere to go really unless you're working in a hospital or one of the other few key industries that would be working sunday. The road should pretty much empty, bet they're not.

The government have said there's only five more days left of lock down. We're alright. 

That will be the prevailing attitude. 

They should've just said 'three more weeks' and underlined the seriousness of it. The idea of rolling weeks implies an imminent end. 

5 minutes ago, Sampson said:

That's what makes this whole thing so many different levels of sad - the death rates we get only count deaths with people who've tested positive and directly killed by the virus. They'll be millions of deaths for years after the pandemic is over which were caused by the virus which we can't quantify.

This is so true. Not to mention the very real risk of it becoming seasonal/endemic or a second wave. 

You make some very potent points about the negative effects of lockdown beyond the economic concerns, some tangible aspects of public health, but I think that mental health and well-being is also a huge consideration. And at what point do these measures become counterproductive?  

At present however, in the absence of data and before we can establish whether the peak has been passed, I think that there's a strong case in the short term for tightening the existing measures however punitive some may perceive that to be. 

4 minutes ago, Line-X said:

You make some very potent points about the negative effects of lockdown beyond the economic concerns, some tangible aspects of public health, but I think that mental health and well-being is also a huge consideration. And at what point do these measures become counterproductive?  

The economic concerns are far more far reaching than simple maths. 

The impact of many millions of jobless, people losing their homes, people losing their lifestyles and the impact that has on long term mental health. The effects are profound for many years.

1 minute ago, Foxin_Mad said:

The impact of many millions of jobless, people losing their homes, people losing their lifestyles and the impact that has on long term mental health. The effects are profound for many years.

Agree, the two are inextricably linked. 

1 hour ago, davieG said:

In my mind I've written the summer off, in effect hibernating until the autumn/winter arrives

The only thing I can think of that compares to this is having a broken leg/arm or operation.Something that makes going out more hassle than it’s worth.It makes you feel useless while others do all the work,but you have to go through it while keeping positive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

We have friends who are adamant their June wedding is happening. I wonder what the chances of this are?

I'm best man, but people aren't going to want to be around me or my wife. They won't admit it but its true.

Why is that? I'm mates with a nurse that works in ER (I think that's right) and can't wait to have a beer with him.

I find that would be a very odd mentality. If you're worried about being exposed to a virus, surely you wouldn't leave your house at all unless absolutely vital.

Apologies if I misread what you were suggesting, just wanted to give you the opinion of someone who would be "people" :)

11 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Why is that? I'm mates with a nurse that works in ER (I think that's right) and can't wait to have a beer with him.

I find that would be a very odd mentality. If you're worried about being exposed to a virus, surely you wouldn't leave your house at all unless absolutely vital.

Apologies if I misread what you were suggesting, just wanted to give you the opinion of someone who would be "people" :)

A friend's wife told mine that would we really be comfortable being around others in June, and would people be comfortable being around us. I think it is a ****ing idiotic thing to say, but we are concerned more people will think like her.

• Sad 4

30 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

The government have said there's only five more days left of lock down. We're alright. 

They should've just said 'three more weeks' and underlined the seriousness of it. The idea of rolling weeks implies an imminent end. 

Clearly the lockdown will continue and I agree they should have just said another three weeks but I see their thinking with a weeks extension... There will be people out there that will be very proud of themselves that they have survived three weeks of lockdown, but are frightened of a further potential 3 weeks - six weeks is a long time for most people.  But there will be quite a few that can get their heads around a week at a time, always with some hope of it ending soon.

24 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

We have friends who are adamant their June wedding is happening. I wonder what the chances of this are?

I'm best man, but people aren't going to want to be around me or my wife. They won't admit it but its true.

Beginning of June I would say no chance.  End of June maybe, but not many people there at all. 

The 12 week shielding for the most vulnerable ends in mid June, but who knows what will happen after that.

We run or walk or cycle every day at the moment  - we live in the middle of just about nowhere in the countryside. There are circa 8-10 bridleways and footpaths in various directions within less than a quarter mile of our gaff which we can do various sized loops in the surrounding area (2-10 miles) without being on a road for more than a 100 meters or so. we are in a fortunate position to be able in to pick say a five mile route and not see another soul - realistically I could exercise all day without laying eyes on another human.

When we first moved here we had OS maps and learnt the routes... today the farmers have had to put OS map pictures up and information all around their land due to people venturing out and having no clue where they are going! To be fair the information boards were informative and pleasant- not just PRIVATE GET OFF MY LAND!

Saw circa 10 people today! Dirty strangers...

Lots of people taking a short drive I think so they can get some exercise and social distance. Near impossible to do that in some cities now with parks closed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davieG said:

Apart from a couple of visits to a corner shop for milk this is my 4th week of shutdown and I'm staying put until I see a substantial and sustained reduction in cases and deaths, frankly I'm shit scared of getting this.

I should add that I've only been able to do this due to the fantastic staff at the supermarkets collecting and delivering my food for which I shall be forever grateful.

• Like 3

I’m having the mother of lazy days, apart from picking an order up from the butchers about 7:30. It’s consisted of full English, sat in the garden reading, and drinking cider. It’s been so so so so long since I’ve been able to have such a lazy time. It won’t be so long again. Even the mrs isn’t nagging me to get some jobs done and has joined me with the cider. Music quietly playing cheesy tracks, it’s like the hazy beer gardens of my youth. :D 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Also in simple terms we need the economy to fund the NHS . Longer the lockdown is on the less the Government can spend on Health and Wealth fare.

I suspect as well as flattening the curve, having all the nightingale hospitals up and running will be a factor with theses operating until next autumn/winter.

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

For now...?

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Nobody ever said that.  I have yet to meet a single person that expects lockdown to be lifted next week.  Let it go.

1 hour ago, nnfox said:

Clearly the lockdown will continue and I agree they should have just said another three weeks but I see their thinking with a weeks extension... There will be people out there that will be very proud of themselves that they have survived three weeks of lockdown, but are frightened of a further potential 3 weeks - six weeks is a long time for most people.  But there will be quite a few that can get their heads around a week at a time, always with some hope of it ending soon.

You're wasting your time.  You know that, I know that, but some are determined to jump through hoops just to take another swing at the government.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 2