Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Coronavirus: Closed Door Matches

Guest Cujek
3 hours ago, RobHawk said:

With Cheltenham starting tomorrow and the amount of money being thrown around for that, there is zero chance of any decision on stopping sporting events being made today

its  pennies in the grand scheme of things though.

people need to take a bit of responsibility for themselves as well, just because the mouth breathers that people have voted in to "lead" us don't stop an event that their mates will profit off, dont mean that you should attend.

i keep hearing its just the flu bro.

sure, just the flu that a first world European country has locked down 16 million over.

i do not advocate panic, but I do urge that people think responsibly and take precautions.

I personaly have cancelled a short break next week and moved my family holiday from June to September, i know that not everyone would be in a position to do this and it is at great financial sacrifice to my self.

but i have done this for the good of my self and my family as i have elderly parents, who i fear would not make it through should i give them a virus that is known to be particually harsh to the elders of our society, i would expect that other people would have the same amount of respect for not just my parents but their own and their firends.

I fear though that people are stupid and selfish and will go to large events and spread or contract this virus with no thought of any other human being.

please everyone be safe and care about one another, dont be selfish now is the time to forget how our race has been programmed for the last 150 years and get back to being a people united against a common enemy that can be quantified for once.

3 hours ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Whether action comes in today or later on, I think people need to mentally prepare themselves and come to terms with the fact that in the near future life is going to change quite significantly. It's going to be a struggle. There is no chance this is just going to go away overnight, the cases will continue to rise at an exponential rate. Your normal routines (like going to the football) will change. 

There needs to be a balance between panicking and being lapse. 

I'm sorry but I think this is a massive overreaction.

Life is not going to change quite significantly and it is not going to be a struggle - there's a very high chance of some large gatherings being cancelled or postponed for a short period of time and there will likely still be a bunch of morons panic buying from the shops but it's not the bloody end of the world.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Nothing to do with money - you just wouldn't shut down an event of that scale on one case in the town at this point.

If we have a huge outbreak we might see big meetings postponed though, Aintree a possible in a couple of weeks if we are then at the point Italy is now.

I suspect it's the timing at this stage more than anything. I'm firmly in the don't panic camp tbh but was being a little tongue in cheek as to try and further prove the point I made this morning. 

I'd be interested to know more detail about the Cheltenham case though, as if it had the potential to be spread further then thousands of people descending on such a small town could be the epicentre for something much bigger. 

Just hope we make a bigger effort of controling it than the Italians, piss up and brewery are words that come to mind.

Guest Cujek
4 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

I suspect it's the timing at this stage more than anything. I'm firmly in the don't panic camp tbh but was being a little tongue in cheek as to try and further prove the point I made this morning. 

I'd be interested to know more detail about the Cheltenham case though, as if it had the potential to be spread further then thousands of people descending on such a small town could be the epicentre for something much bigger. 

Just hope we make a bigger effort of controling it than the Italians, piss up and brewery are words that come to mind.

To be fair, from what i have been reading / hearing the Italians didnt take the quarantine particularly seriously, i read an account of some guy that just went driving around from town to town.

I think they will take this more serious now, apart from the selfish twats that decided to turn tail and flee between the hours of hearing about the quarantine and the time it was imposed.

I dont think they have a choice and heavy fines and jail time will be thrown around if it isnt observed.

Some of the more scary things about all this are the reports about the prisons rioting, they can smell weakness and will continue to push an already stretched system until they get out, Iran have just decided to turn their prisoners loose! it all feels a bit like the zoo keeper letting the animals out because there will be no one left to look after them.

I am really hoping that people in this country look after themselves and each other, those that are unable to prepare for a lock down are helped buy the government, retailers and society, those that are able to prepare do so in a sensible non selfish manner.

i dont know if im hoping for to much.  

Guest Markyblue

Sky reporting 46 new cases in last 24 hours  , so down on previous 24 hour total. Long way to go but a small plus.

Guest Cujek
1 minute ago, Markyblue said:

Sky reporting 46 new cases in last 24 hours  , so down on previous 24 hour total. Long way to go but a small plus.

out of how many tested?

the problem with this reporting of number of cases is it totally depends on the amount tested, some will only be being tested once in hospital or worst case, dead.

If everyone in the country took a test every day for the next month (which is of course unfeasible) then we would get a true infection rate, what we currently have is not any way of monitoring to a precise level.

the best (but by no means comprehensive) data is from South Korea, they have tested something like 150k, way more than any other country in the world, compare that to the USA for example something pitiful like 1500 tests and most of those are on ****ing boats.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

What's wrong about it then? Considering the places these matches are in what are now high risk locations for the virus spreading, and they want to contain it as much as possible... 

I'm literally not complaining about them taking those measures. I totally get it. Just think that game last night made it hit home how crap it'll actually be.

But not a lot else you can do really.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I'm literally not complaining about them taking those measures. I totally get it. Just think that game last night made it hit home how crap it'll actually be.

But not a lot else you can do really.

I see! 

Yeah I watched it and it was shit lol

We can only wait and be sensible with our own health may be a good thing to make folk more aware long term.

8k a year die from flu related stuff another 3k from norovirus(vomiting) thousands from smoking related,drink.drug related,road deaths.

No one is immune as yet  but vast majority in good health can deal with it apparently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cujek said:

out of how many tested?

the problem with this reporting of number of cases is it totally depends on the amount tested, some will only be being tested once in hospital or worst case, dead.

If everyone in the country took a test every day for the next month (which is of course unfeasible) then we would get a true infection rate, what we currently have is not any way of monitoring to a precise level.

the best (but by no means comprehensive) data is from South Korea, they have tested something like 150k, way more than any other country in the world, compare that to the USA for example something pitiful like 1500 tests and most of those are on ****ing boats.

Exactly this. The more you test the more you will find.From what we are being told, for the majority of people getting this virus will be like a bad cold/mild flu. Unless we are being duped to prevent panic, which i think unlikely, I suspect that initially, the spread was down to the fact that many people who contracted it simply put it down to this and carried on as normal, thereby spreading it around long before anyone knew exactly what it was.  Lets face it most of us simply carry on with our normal lives, including going to the pub, football matches and work etc when we have a cold lest we be labelled snowflakes, melts or cry babies etc.

Now we habve a heightened awareness, i also suspect that people will come forward as soon as they think they have symptoms and hence more tests.  This also skews the figures somewhat, as we are only testing people that have presented with some sort of symptons, or those that have been in contact with them, rather than random samples of the population.

That said, we should of course be sensible and take appropriate precautions when advised to do so. 

16 minutes ago, brucey said:

Presumably they will stream them through facebook like the FA cup game last week?  Might be a good thing in the long run for those who cannot get to games.  If they get huge viewing figures they may rethink the "ban" on saturday 3pm games

6 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Watched Juventus v Inter last night, one of the biggest games of the domestic season so far, behind closed doors and it was honestly hard to watch. It's just wrong.

I’ve always thought that football would be awful behind closed doors but games like the England v Croatia and the one you’ve just said makes you realise that fans really are so important for the game.

3 hours ago, Cujek said:

out of how many tested?

Don't get me started on the USA; turned up late in 1918 and (the sensible ones will admit) brought the 'Spanish' flu with them.

And now they are 'led' by an orange twat who thinks this is all fake news. When he realises it is not it will be the fault of the Mexicans …. or Greta

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

Showing Premier League games live at 3pm Saturday will be devestating for lower & non-league clubs

Won't really devastate if the lower leagues are also enforcing a closed stadium policy

16 minutes ago, Collymore said:

I wonder if the behind close door matches could use CGI to put fans in and dub the crowd noise in? 

Bet they'd have the technology now to make it almost impossible to tell the difference...

As in what would be the point of this? :dunno: