Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Coronavirus: Closed Door Matches

5 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Seems inevitable that the Premier League will follow suit, when most other European countries are closing stadiums. Close stadiums and then everyone just watches it in the pub instead.

Sky and BT could apparently stream all matches but block the signal for Pubs, not that it will stop pubs putting on personal streams anyway

Would have to be something put in place to protect pubs from loss of revenue if they try to ban that as well

18 hours ago, Angus Scott said:

Showing Premier League games live at 3pm Saturday will be devestating for lower & non-league clubs

The coronavirus will devastate all large gatherings until its under control.

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

And Millwall given Forest players would have come in to contact with them?! 

Benny is still mates with Pap and Ricardo and see's them quite frequently. You can really see how this can spread across the leagues.

• Sad 2

I suppose one of the unexpected benefits of Euro 2020 being held in multiple countries is that it can be cancelled without the economic impact on the host nation being too devastating. Really struggling to see how it can possibly go ahead. With all the league postponements there won't be enough time to catch up on fixtures before Euro2020 starts, and then its straight back into the next season after. Maybe hold it next year, but then that eats into world cup qualifying so that might not work either.

This news about Forest could be the trigger for all of English football to grind to a halt - not even played behind closed doors. It spreads quickly and lots of players will be in contact with one another, so once a few players have to self-isolate (like the entire Forest squad will) it'd be naive not to do so across the board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

Seems inevitable that the Premier League will follow suit, when most other European countries are closing stadiums. Close stadiums and then everyone just watches it in the pub instead.

Not if the pubs are closed.

Nottingham Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis has coronavirus, the Championship club have confirmed.

Marinakis was at the City Ground for Forest's Championship fixture against Millwall on Friday.

The 52-year-old is also owner of Greek side Olympiakos, who host Wolves in the Europa League on Thursday - a game already set to be behind closed doors.

"Mr Marinakis was diagnosed after showing the first symptoms on his return to Greece," said Forest.

"During his stay in Nottingham he did not show any symptoms of the virus."

"The club are seeking advice from medical professionals and the relevant governing bodies to ensure the correct measures are taken."

Marinakis had earlier revealed he had been diagnosed with coronavirus on social media platform Instagram.

"The recent virus has 'visited' me and I felt obliged to let the public know," he said.

"I feel good as I take all the necessary measures and I discipline to the doctor's instructions."

Hope hes not been in the changing room recently 

Edited by merlin1969

5 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Latest things I've seen on twitter just then are some scientist has predicted it won't peak in a global sense until next winter and that the big leagues are lobbying UEFA to postpone the Euros for a year in the interests of completing the club football season.

Postponing the Euros makes sense to allow this year's leagues to finish, but then it eats into next year's Nations league and world cup qualifying, so I'm not sure they'd be able to postpone it. Might just have to be cancelled completely.

9 minutes ago, Xen said:

Postponing the Euros makes sense to allow this year's leagues to finish, but then it eats into next year's Nations league and world cup qualifying, so I'm not sure they'd be able to postpone it. Might just have to be cancelled completely.

Yeah not sure how the logistics of it would work out at all.  Maybe just can the nations league for a year?  Would be a better option than ditching the euros imo.

• Like 1

he Italian football federation (FIGC) said after a meeting on Tuesday that the Serie A season may not finish because of the coronavirus outbreak.

A statement confirmed that Serie A would stop until 3 April following a government decree issued on Monday.

FIGC president Gabriele Gravina also put forward alternative options if the season can not be concluded.

They include staging play-offs, not having a champion for 2019-20 or declaring the current standings final.

Play-offs would take place to determine the champions, European qualification and the three clubs to be relegated to Serie B.

But if the title winner is decided by the current standings then Juventus would be Italian champions for a ninth straight season, having gone back above Lazio with a 2-0 win over third-placed Inter Milan on Sunday.

All discussion above is about top Leagues in Europe, Euros and whether to postpone games aor call a halt ll next season (which I can see will be option chosen for fome federations). 

My concern is for lower league sides, many of whom rely on gate receipts for survival. There is a a possibility of seeing a much different league structure if this virus does take hold, as many clubs will not have a revenue to survive. Pessimistic, but does need to be considered. Should there be a levy on PL sides who will be receiving income through tv receipts if games are behind closed doors?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

All discussion above is about top Leagues in Europe, Euros and whether to postpone games aor call a halt ll next season (which I can see will be option chosen for fome federations). 

My concern is for lower league sides, many of whom rely on gate receipts for survival. There is a a possibility of seeing a much different league structure if this virus does take hold, as many clubs will not have a revenue to survive. Pessimistic, but does need to be considered. Should there be a levy on PL sides who will be receiving income through tv receipts if games are behind closed doors?

Maybe there should but I don't see how that could be enforced legally