Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Coronavirus: Closed Door Matches

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

you have that information from the ‘inside’ ??

i think they are desperate to delay the outbreak here as long as they possibly can and to make it as shallow as possible to avoid overloading the NHS beyond its capability ....

I expect the opposite and its the main reason I’m actually coming this evening - I may not get to use my Watford tickets this Saturday ! 

Spurs announced it.

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2020/march/coronavirus-premier-league-advice-for-supporters/

Just noticed that's 3 days old and only really is relevant to the weekend of games about to be finished.  Yeah so next week could be different.

For those who a few posts about commented about the slow spread of the virus, just be aware we are simply earlier in the cycle than countries like italy, what is happening in italy will be the story here in the coming weeks.

The good news is though china has shown its possible to get this under control as long as measures are adequately enforced.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

Whether action comes in today or later on, I think people need to mentally prepare themselves and come to terms with the fact that in the near future life is going to change quite significantly. It's going to be a struggle. There is no chance this is just going to go away overnight, the cases will continue to rise at an exponential rate. Your normal routines (like going to the football) will change. 

There needs to be a balance between panicking and being lapse. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

He said that they wouldn’t be cancelled or postponed - I heard the interview. He didn’t talk about no crowds .........

But that wouldn't be classed as normal would it. 

From the direct quotes I've read he talks about the importance of crowds. 

I think we all hope that crowds can go to games. A politician saying that on Monday morning might not reflect the position we're in come Friday afternoon, though. This is such a fluid situation nothing can be ruled out. So long as precautions are being taken and the expert's advice is being listened to, that will be dictated by how much worse the UK outbreak gets.

Us fans being able to attend games over the next few weeks, I reckon, will be a good sign as to how things are panning out here. Just a waiting game.

2 hours ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Remember the Croatia V England game in the Nations League behind closed doors? Was hardly worth watching, will be rubbish.

Watched Juventus v Inter last night, one of the biggest games of the domestic season so far, behind closed doors and it was honestly hard to watch. It's just wrong.

1 hour ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Whether action comes in today or later on, I think people need to mentally prepare themselves and come to terms with the fact that in the near future life is going to change quite significantly. It's going to be a struggle. There is no chance this is just going to go away overnight, the cases will continue to rise at an exponential rate. Your normal routines (like going to the football) will change. 

There needs to be a balance between panicking and being lapse. 

Agreed, while trying to be positive (and not buying truckloads of toilet roll) we know virtually nothing about this virus.

Large gatherings of supporters in the open air are likely to carry less risk than groups of people watching matches in pubs or conference rooms. 

Rather than fans though, I think the issues are more likely to be related to the players and I can see the football season running beyond 'end of season' due to postponements and thereby Euro 2020 not taking place.

If 1 or more players at a club test positive for the virus, that whole squad would not be able to play a match for at least 2 weeks.

Very difficult to look too far ahead.

Edited by TonyN11
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RobHawk said:

With Cheltenham starting tomorrow and the amount of money being thrown around for that, there is zero chance of any decision on stopping sporting events being made today

As I said, some amounts of money are just too high for something like this to get in the way. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/cheltenham-festival-2020-news-coronavirus-3928488

20 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Nothing different?

What's wrong about it then? Considering the places these matches are in what are now high risk locations for the virus spreading, and they want to contain it as much as possible... 

5 hours ago, LinekersLugs said:

Looks likely  all football matches will be played behind closed doors from next weekend 

Tickets for the FA cup 1/4 finals have already been delayed in being announced owing to the meeting of Cobra today 

Our team thrives at home on our atmosphere and away from home we pride ourselves on our work rate , closing down and making is hard for teams and as such we often take that home teams crowd often out of the equation 

so how do we think we will cope with empty stadiums ? 

And who would Vardy be able to (in your face) celebrate in front of?

Guest MattP
23 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

As I said, some amounts of money are just too high for something like this to get in the way. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/cheltenham-festival-2020-news-coronavirus-3928488

Nothing to do with money - you just wouldn't shut down an event of that scale on one case in the town at this point.

If we have a huge outbreak we might see big meetings postponed though, Aintree a possible in a couple of weeks if we are then at the point Italy is now.

40 minutes ago, StanSP said:

What's wrong about it then? Considering the places these matches are in what are now high risk locations for the virus spreading, and they want to contain it as much as possible... 

He means it feels wrong to watch football without fans, not that the decision to play behind closed doors was wrong.

• Like 1