Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Coronavirus: Closed Door Matches

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

On a side note and a pretty damned unimportant one at that

If the season was canned in the next month, how would next seasons European competition places be decided I wonder. I assume there is procedures in place to deal with earlier than planned finishing of qualifying competitions.

Just pointless musing.

They will find a formula to ensure the Euro places go to the favoured six. 

The relegation places is going to be tricky. 

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

On a side note and a pretty damned unimportant one at that

If the season was canned in the next month, how would next seasons European competition places be decided I wonder. I assume there is procedures in place to deal with earlier than planned finishing of qualifying competitions.

Just pointless musing.

Obviously Euro qualification will be based on LAST seasons table! That way the big six qualify, everybody is happy and all is well with the world!!!!

Just now, st albans fox said:

Yes, the rules say that four out of the big six draw lots to see who gets into the CL .............

Just now, Spudulike said:

Cynics. Cynics Everywhere.

but I agree

16 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

And this thursday would be two weeks since they could have had contact so if no arsenal players/staff show symptoms by tomorrow then there is no ongoing issue from that evening ....... 

Exactly. At present the Brighton v Arsenal game on Saturday is still set to go ahead.

45 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

The premier league has announced that they will base the European places by averaging teams finishing places over the last five seasons. This is to protect the big six who have been garbage this year and is the best way for us to get them into qualification positions integrity of the competition both at home and in Europe. 

• Haha 1

If the rest of the domestic football season did have to be abandoned, I think that the fairest way to decide the final league positions would be to assume that every unplayed game is treated as a 0-0 draw. That way, the final points totals would provide the final overall placings of every team in the country and determine in a pretty fair way the various promotion and relegation issues. It would also guarantee City finishing third, of course.  

2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

No it doesn’t, because no seasonal flu since 1918 has had a mortality rate anywhere near COVID-19.

That said, the odds of a vaccine being developed, clinically trialed and widely available by next winter are very low.  Non-zero, but very low.  Best practice is to prepare as much as possible in other ways - most importantly, to make sure testing is widely available, free to patients and aggressively applied.

God your a cheerful sole let's end the world now

28 minutes ago, String fellow said:

If the rest of the domestic football season did have to be abandoned, I think that the fairest way to decide the final league positions would be to assume that every unplayed game is treated as a 0-0 draw. That way, the final points totals would provide the final overall placings of every team in the country and determine in a pretty fair way the various promotion and relegation issues. It would also guarantee City finishing third, of course.  

There'll be a lot of teams across the leagues who have got far easier run-ins than their direct competitors, so if every remaining match is essentially voided then they'd (rightly) feel hard done by, especially if they miss out on promotion/safety by fine margins. Not sure that's the best course of action.

I can understand why clubs don't want games behind closed doors, but I don't see a fair way of finishing the season without playing the games. Very few clubs are going to agree to it if it results in them relegated or missing out on Europe.

Just now, RowlattsFox said:

I can understand why clubs don't want games behind closed doors, but I don't see a fair way of finishing the season without playing the games. Very few clubs are going to agree to it if it results in them relegated or missing out on Europe.

If this becomes a european wide ban on travel etc. Then they may as well cancel all cup comps and concentrate getting the league games done. 

If no fans were allowed anyway they should make each team play 2 games a week all saturday and all wednesday. Televise the lot, you could potential finish the league in 4 / 5 weeks that way. 

3 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Yep the Duckworth-Coote formula will be used and we will finish 8th.

• Haha 1

It just feels that all this cancelling of games and playing games behind closed doors is like me planning my holiday to Hawaii based on my winning the lottery next week. 

It might happen!
It could happen!
But it won't happen.

When did pragmatism die?

I'm convinced that treating every unplayed game as a 0-0 draw is the least bad option, if games aren't to be played in empty stadia. The idea of clubs moaning about being deprived of 3 points in what they might see as easy fixtures doesn't wash with me. Why not? Here's one good reason:- Watford 3 Liverpool 0. Pep Guardiola said yesterday the playing matches without a crowd watching is pointless, like actors on a stage in an empty theatre. I agree with him 100%.

Just now, Foxy_Bear said:

If the season was scrapped then I vote a 5 a side tournament involving all clubs playing their remaining games on the same day. Half hour games and be done with it. 

Hold it at a local park, get a burger van going and a few beer stalls. Winner stays on and all that. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Hold it at a local park, get a burger van going and a few beer stalls. Winner stays on and all that. 

Well it's either that or get all the managers together in an over the top rope royal rumble to determine the final league table. 

• Haha 2