Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Coronavirus: Closed Door Matches

7 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Maybe there should but I don't see how that could be enforced legally

It couldn't be, but even self-centred clubs will realise the value a structure below. So yes, it would have to be agreed (or part of extra TV revenue given to lower league clubs). There are ways to ensure these clubs (or as few as possible) don't go into administarion because of CV.

3 minutes ago, twister said:

every efl club should be given government money if they shut down league

Othewise if I was everyone of those efl clubs I would see the goverment for lost income.

How is it the government's fault that coronavirus is here? 

5 minutes ago, twister said:

Othewise if I was everyone of those efl clubs I would see the goverment for lost income.

Think about what your saying. 

Who picks up the bill from the Government? 

If anything the FA/Sky/BT need to foot that bill.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, twister said:

Behave

We are in a no win no way out situation and I can see major restrictions within the next month to exclude fans from games. Hand to mouth clubs will suffer enormously and big hitters like, say Man Utd, could operate with no fans at all ever again and STILL make a good profit.

Sad beyond words for EFL.

50 minutes ago, twister said:

There are hundreds, thousands of businesses and millions of people who are going to massively suffer over the coming months. football clubs are a tiny, and pretty insignificant proportion of these businesses. And if it comes to government handing out cash, I doubt many people would be arguing football clubs should be a the front of the queue.

If things get really bad (and I'm trying to be measured because hopefully they won't) then no one is going to give a flying toss about football....

Edited by stripeyfox
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Point well made. I actually meant the FA/Premier league. The money involved nowadays I'd have thought there would be something in place

We're all as bad, whether it be government, FA/PL or the local council. Wing it City.

• Like 1

it’s a matter of time before we face the same problems as the rest of Europe. The government is trying to avoid an early alarm. Behavioural scientists are being consulted and they believe if the lockdown starts early, then it will last longer and by week 3 or 4, the general public start to question things. 

The scenario with Nottingham Forest owner proves to an extent why even behind closed doors matches don’t work. He would have been in attendance regardless of crowd or not. Forest and Millwall’s playing squad is in danger of having the virus now. As soon as multiple players get it, you have a problem and those team subjected to it would be out of action for four to six weeks 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

46 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I'm surprised there aren't already contingency plans in place for such a pandemic. Feels a bit amateurish to be winging it and making up rules mid crisis

It’s all v carefully planned ...... computer modelling etc etc . Totally scientifically based

They’re just waiting to throw a double six to begin it all ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I'm surprised there aren't already contingency plans in place for such a pandemic. Feels a bit amateurish to be winging it and making up rules mid crisis

True but it feels like they make up the rules during games too

Why not just suspend the season until, say, the end of April in the first instance. Then, if we are back to ‘normal’ extend the season, cancel Euro 2020, give the player’s a short break and start the new season at the end of August

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, blue90boy said:

Yes, true Stripey, but this is a football oriented platform and we see things through blue eyes at all times.

Maybe. But I was just pointing out how farcical is was to suggest that in the time of a national emergency, that the government should give handouts to football clubs was at best a very stupid thing.

19 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

it’s a matter of time before we face the same problems as the rest of Europe. The government is trying to avoid an early alarm. Behavioural scientists are being consulted and they believe if the lockdown starts early, then it will last longer and by week 3 or 4, the general public start to question things. 

The scenario with Nottingham Forest owner proves to an extent why even behind closed doors matches don’t work. He would have been in attendance regardless of crowd or not. Forest and Millwall’s playing squad is in danger of having the virus now. As soon as multiple players get it, you have a problem and those team subjected to it would be out of action for four to six weeks 

If things carry on on the "Italy" scenario I'd be amazed if the season gets completed. Euro 2020, the Olympics all in danger I would think.

How they unravel all that, and whether anyone will care that much, remains to be seen.....

Hopefully everything will be ok though...

31 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Yes but I’d it was behind closed doors the 100 or so people that would have been there would have been in danger, not the 1,000 or so that were there because it wasn’t played behind closed doors.

8 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Yes but I’d it was behind closed doors the 100 or so people that would have been there would have been in danger, not the 1,000 or so that were there because it wasn’t played behind closed doors.

Absolutely in the general scheme of the crisis but my point is more focused on the footballers themselves and behind closed doors puts them at risk anyway if just one person within the ‘closed doors’ nature of the stadium carries it (given it has a five day incubation period). 

It takes one player to get it and then the deck of cards falls. Football or the league they are featured in stops. So rather than willing it on behind closed doors, suspend the league fully. 

• Like 1

On 10/03/2020 at 03:25, TonyN11 said:

Don't get me started on the USA; turned up late in 1918 and (the sensible ones will admit) brought the 'Spanish' flu with them.

And now they are 'led' by an orange twat who thinks this is all fake news. When he realises it is not it will be the fault of the Mexicans …. or Greta

Not only has South Korea been far and away the leader for testing, but it's worked - they've contained the spread far better than predicted.  That should be the model all non-autocratic countries follow, but I have little hope either my current residence or my home country (U.S.) will, given the idiocy of their leadership.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Not only has South Korea been far and away the leader for testing, but it's worked - they've contained the spread far better than predicted.  That should be the model all non-autocratic countries follow, but I have little hope either my current residence or my home country (U.S.) will, given the idiocy of their leadership.

No you're fine. Trump says "the virus will go away". So nothing to worry about...

• Haha 1