Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

40 minutes ago, reynard said:

It isn't just in the stadium either. I just can't see any goverment wanting mass travel around the country in confined buses or trians. Thousands of away fans going to matches, fans in pubs before and after matches.

Even travellling around the country for work is going to be diffiucult.

Football behind closed doors is a possibility but even that involves gathering together a certain number of people, not only players and officials but TV crews etc etc.

With players not having trained properly for weeks and no match practice you can't just start the next day. Players need time to build up fitness or face long term injuries.

The players are being paid to keep their fitness levels up, i bet most have them have gyms at home. And considering they don't really have a high profile,  i'm sure that if some prossie can be tested for diseases on a regular basis, footballers and all the staff associated with a football match can be tested for covid 19.

12 minutes ago, rachhere said:

They couldn't.... could they?! 

Absolutely they can but they wouldn’t not declare a winner given how far ahead Liverpool are and uefa have already stated that qualification for CL should be based on where the season has got to at this point. 

two teams are level on points in Holland - it’s quite different in that respect and their govt has banned games till September so they didn’t really have a choice but to abandon. I can’t see any PL clubs voting to relegate any clubs and they may decide to take their chances with Leeds and West Brom having a ‘pink fit’ 

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, rachhere said:

They couldn't.... could they?! 

It does seem that despite cancelling the winner and promotion/relegation, they are still using the cancelled season’s positions for European qualification next season as per UEFA guidance. If European competitions actually happen, of course...

Meanwhile Bundesliga is still planning to resume in May... so each league doing its own thing really.

Guest MattP

I can't see any way at all we conclude this season, all these games behind closed doors over 56 days? Just not feasible.

League standings go to CL (if possible) and call it off.

I hope Boris goes to Liverpool to tell them it's voided, only right and fair he breaks the news given they lead the league - they aren't the sort to hold a grudge.

Just now, MattP said:

I can't see any way at all we conclude this season, all these games behind closed doors over 56 days? Just not feasible.

League standings go to CL (if possible) and call it off.

I hope Boris goes to Liverpool to tell them it's voided, only right and fair he breaks the news given they lead the league - they aren't the sort to hold a grudge.

It really is feasible but I wonder whether the majority of clubs are bothered enough. If the govt say we cannot play till September then I think the clubs are off the hook with the tv money .......

I think they can restart it in June. I cant see the point of voiding it now.

I saw someone suggest somewhere (apologies if here) as this will be around for a while we are best completing this season; however long it takes and the possibly reducing or cancelling next season depending if there is a second wave or lockdown or whatever. Next season hasn't began yet so nothing to lose, noone to upset,  it would likely be delayed or affected anyway so we may as well complete something with some significance I.e the season nearly 2/3rds done. Its dumb to void or not complete just do it when we can.

10 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

The players are being paid to keep their fitness levels up, i bet most have them have gyms at home. And considering they don't really have a high profile,  i'm sure that if some prossie can be tested for diseases on a regular basis, footballers and all the staff associated with a football match can be tested for covid 19.

I'm sure they will be keeping their fitness up. Unfortunately it isn't exactly the same fitness that is required for match fitness.

Testing is fine and can be done. of course you can be asymptomatic and still spread the virus.

1 hour ago, Foxin_Mad said:

I saw someone suggest somewhere (apologies if here) as this will be around for a while we are best completing this season; however long it takes and the possibly reducing or cancelling next season depending if there is a second wave or lockdown or whatever. Next season hasn't began yet so nothing to lose, noone to upset,  it would likely be delayed or affected anyway so we may as well complete something with some significance I.e the season nearly 2/3rds done. Its dumb to void or not complete just do it when we can.

How are they going to restart in June?

The Spanish flu lasted 2 years.

2 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

You’re foxin_Mad mate if you think games will start again in June! 

I think the reality is, that football as we know it is finished for a long time.

Definitely agree though it seems crazy to void a season that is so far gone. Fair enough if only a few games played but, we’re so far into it now!

11 minutes ago, ScubaBlue said:

I think the reality is, that footbaltl as we know it is finished for a long time.

Definitely agree though it seems crazy to void a season that is so far gone. Fair enough if only a few games played but, we’re so far into it now!

Well obviously there won’t be fans so it won’t be ‘as we know it’ 

but you really cannot make assertive definitive statements - no one actually knows ......

I think they will be able to restart in June or July. DCMS have been in constant dialogue with them about restarting, so it must be on the cards soon enough.

They will watch events in Germany very, very closely. If they can do it successfully, then it's a simple model to follow once we get to the kind of levels the UK govt are talking about before they relax some measures.

Inevitably it will be behind closed doors with some very, very strict measures for players/staff. They will pack 9 matchdays into one month just to get it over with.

Most, if not all of next season (starting September-ish) will be behind closed doors too I'd imagine, unless this Oxford vaccine is successful and can be pumped out in tens of millions of doses quickly. I'd hope we can be back at games for the season after.

Ultimately for this season though, the PL will be desperate to avoid taking a decision like the Eredivisie have today. They want the games done for the TV money, but also to avoid the uproar of dozens of sides whichever decision they decide to make (relegation or not, title or not etc.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

How are they going to restart in June?

The Spanish flu lasted 2 years.

Behind closed doors initially.

The other option is no football for 2 years then?

We need to manage this, people have to get back to work, we have to test and trace, we need to know how many people have had this and protect the vulnerable. For the larger part the young and healthy are probably better getting and fighting this virus.

The whole world cant just sit inside doing nothing until it goes away, else there wont be much left when it does go.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ScubaBlue said:

I think the reality is, that football as we know it is finished for a long time.

I dont see why not behind closed doors. Dont get me wrong we will not be going to the stadium this year in my view.

To be honest, whenever it restarts its better to finish this season in the summer months than start a new one in sept/oct, which is likely to be affected next winter when if this thing is going to come back, it will be then.

It's stupid to plan anything for later in the year until we know more and know whether there will be a second wave.

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I simply cannot accept the season being voided and Vardy being back to 80 PL goals again, FCUK that.

It is probably the dumbest thing they can do, so they will prob go for that! 😂

Seriously if it's so bad we cant finish this season then we dont have a hope in hell of finishing next season, that's probably starting behind schedule already!

If we cant do 2 seasons the a lot of clubs are gone.

Edited by Foxin_Mad
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Genuinely can't see them voiding the season, but I honestly don't know what to think at the moment! Why lose this season and start another, when we probably won't even get to finish that one either.

This is the thing. There is no way we are starting a brand new season, it's pointless if we are saying we need to stay locked up for 12 months. Whenever the top bods decide it's safe to allow most people back to work....which has to happen sooner rather than later else there will be a huge amount of social and economic pain for millions of people.

Footballers will be working mainly outside, with closed stadiums I would think the risk is lower.

The only danger is knowing Leicester we will come back shite and lose our spot to yanited on the last day! So 2nd thoughts get it voided! 😂😂

Edited by Foxin_Mad