Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

Just now, Babylon said:

It'll be the same nobber from Italy who wants the likes of Milan in the CL no matter where they finish. It's just their way of trying to push their agenda, via a backdoor route and it would be rubbished by almost all associations, as it makes a complete mockery of the season currently being played out. 

Milan have been pushing the coefficient idea for years because they're too crap to qualify by the normal route. They'll be all over this, you can guarantee it!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Hmmm interesting. But I personally will take what was said with a pinch of salt. Of course there will be questions asked by diff teams and rightly so re The amount of tests, distancing from family but I would imagine most players want to get back to the norm and play football and complete the season. 

I would imagine purely on a financial basis that most will want it completed 

Edited by Suzie the Fox
  • Like 1

Random thought. Nobody wants to see the current season scrapped. Every club has the right to see how it pans out. Increasingly, for me, this is looking harder to make happen. Personally, I lean towards extending well into next season and gradually playing catch up with the calendar over a three or four season timeframe. However, if there really is no way to do that ....... how about-

Combine this season and next. Each team gets to keep a calibrated version of their points score so that their advantage over other teams is maintained. Do not start new cup competitions, just gradually finish the existing ones. That would help reduce their number of games, in addition to providing closure on this season. Teams would not automatically be penalised by losing  their  achievements of this season as it would, in effect, give them a head start for next year. What have I missed or forgotten about??? 

1 hour ago, Danizen said:

Good news for us?

Yep, doesn't change much if it's based purely on this season (and I don't see why it wouldn't be). 

The only thing it changes is Wolves & Sheff Utd positions. Sheff Utd would go above Wolves as they've played one game less but have same points. 

Can't see any other changes. Tough on Bournemouth (oh well) as they're in 18th but on same points as teams above them. 

The season either will be finished or there won't be relegation, the lawsuits would be huge.

As for the coefficient crap, fvck off. How can a team halfway up the league quality on a technicality? I'd have been embarrassed if we'd been offered another chance in 2017 having finished 12th because of a global issue.

Not sure European football will take place next season, or certainly it will be reduced in quantity.

The best way would be to cancel football for a whole 12 months and pick it up where it was in March next year, write these 12 months off and carry everything forward. The only issue might be finances which is where the desire comes from to finish this season and move onto next in any way possible.

Football will be played soon, without fans, it's a no brainer. The leagues will do everything to ensure that happens and ensure that it happens as safely as possible.

36 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

The best way would be to cancel football for a whole 12 months and pick it up where it was in March next year, write these 12 months off and carry everything forward. The only issue might be finances which is where the desire comes from to finish this season and move onto next in any way possible.

I’m not sure finances are the only issue.

What about contracts? Transfer windows? What happens if a second wave hits early next year?

30 minutes ago, Ricey said:

All this talk of no fans in stadiums for a year at least. It makes absolute sense, but the cynic in me doesn’t think it will happen. Money talks. Leagues and clubs will find a way, rightly or wrongly.

but would you, as a fan, risk going to a high risk environment like a half full football stadium unless health conditions improve dramatically - I wouldn't. Maybe Top will give out face masks instead of clappers.

The decisions about next season are easier because the competition hasn’t started yet. There are more options available because no one has a position to defend/gain.

Finishing this season is the tough bit. Still think the best solution is to finish in June/July even if it’s behind closed doors.

In the long term, for clubs it will be a balancing act between being seen to do their bit for public health versus existing as viable professional clubs.

Fact is I don’t see how you can wait for Covid-19 to go away completely before getting back to normal, it’s just not practical.

You could say that’s because ‘money talks’ or whatever but at the end of the day clubs are private businesses and they need money to survive. 

22 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

but would you, as a fan, risk going to a high risk environment like a half full football stadium unless health conditions improve dramatically - I wouldn't. Maybe Top will give out face masks instead of clappers.

It isn't just in the stadium either. I just can't see any goverment wanting mass travel around the country in confined buses or trians. Thousands of away fans going to matches, fans in pubs before and after matches.

Even travellling around the country for work is going to be diffiucult.

Football behind closed doors is a possibility but even that involves gathering together a certain number of people, not only players and officials but TV crews etc etc.

With players not having trained properly for weeks and no match practice you can't just start the next day. Players need time to build up fitness or face long term injuries.

44 minutes ago, leicesterseddon said:

The decisions about next season are easier because the competition hasn’t started yet. There are more options available because no one has a position to defend/gain.

Finishing this season is the tough bit. Still think the best solution is to finish in June/July even if it’s behind closed doors.

In the long term, for clubs it will be a balancing act between being seen to do their bit for public health versus existing as viable professional clubs.

Fact is I don’t see how you can wait for Covid-19 to go away completely before getting back to normal, it’s just not practical.

You could say that’s because ‘money talks’ or whatever but at the end of the day clubs are private businesses and they need money to survive. 

The real elephant in the room though is the television money, if the 2020/21 season is delayed then clubs will not be paid the £100m+ they get each which is what pays the majority of the staffs wages. The whole footballing system is on a knife edge, i'd be amazed if things don't get very very murky in the next 12 months in football.