Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

32 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

This is the thing. There is no way we are starting a brand new season, it's pointless if we are saying we need to stay locked up for 12 months. Whenever the top bods decide it's safe to allow most people back to work....which has to happen sooner rather than later else there will be a huge amount of social and economic pain for millions of people.

Footballers will be working mainly outside, with closed stadiums I would think the risk is lower.

The only danger is knowing Leicester we will come back shite and lose our spot to yanited on the last day! So 2nd thoughts get it voided! 😂😂

True but I suspect footballers and sports people will be one of the least essential groups of people to return to work.

People won't stand for them getting preferred treatment over most other jobs ..

Edited by Super_horns

11 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

True but I suspect footballers and sports people will be one of the least essential groups of people to return to work.

People won't stand for them getting preferred treatment over most other jobs ..

I think more or less everyone needs to go back to work sooner or later.

Economically and mental health wise for any profession and business it's more damaging to keep this up. 

There is a very real possibility if this drags on much longer, there will be no or few economy, jobs or football clubs left.

At the end of the day football is in the entertainment and hospitality industry, arguably that is just as important to our mental health, well being and morale as any other aspect in life. The big danger is keeping us all locked up is going to be more damaging than the virus to the young fit and healthy for a lot longet. Our lives will be irretrievably damaged and aspects of live we enjoy will be forever lost.

We just need to protect those vulnerable people in society, to be able to effectively do that the rest of us need to get back to living life and keeping then safe.

So the options are:

1. To void the league completely which isn’t attractive to us but will be to everybody else except Sheffield Utd, Liverpool probably Wolves and Chelsea...

Or 2. Finish it in some rushed way maybe with teams living all together in hotels somewhere playing a game every 3 days for 4-5 weeks at the same venue - say St. George’s Park.

3. Readjusting the table so the outcomes are points per game based so if you have played less games it’s a tad fairer - though frustrating if you have what you’d consider to be easier fixtures left to play...

Well if it’s option 1 I’ll be very annoyed - we deserve a European place or at the very least or the option to play the season out to get one.

If it’s option 2 I have to say I think this is the fairest way - just get it done.

If it’s option 3 I've not done the figures but if there’s no way of sorting option 2 logistically it’s probably sadly the fairest way though the legal ramifications for the PL by those relegated will be a bit awkward.

If we're able to play matches again, they'll have to get some sort of contingency in plan if there's a second wave this season or next, maybe take the cricket approach and just award a draw for a match called off due to coronavirus related circumstances. Might not be 100% fair but the alternative is ending up with never ending backlogs.

Edited by Nalis

2 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

So the options are:

1. To void the league completely which isn’t attractive to us but will be to everybody else except Sheffield Utd, Liverpool probably Wolves and Chelsea...

Or 2. Finish it in some rushed way maybe with teams living all together in hotels somewhere playing a game every 3 days for 4-5 weeks at the same venue - say St. George’s Park.

3. Readjusting the table so the outcomes are points per game based so if you have played less games it’s a tad fairer - though frustrating if you have what you’d consider to be easier fixtures left to play...

Well if it’s option 1 I’ll be very annoyed - we deserve a European place or at the very least or the option to play the season out to get one.

If it’s option 2 I have to say I think this is the fairest way - just get it done.

If it’s option 3 I've not done the figures but if there’s no way of sorting option 2 logistically it’s probably sadly the fairest way though the legal ramifications for the PL by those relegated will be a bit awkward.

If we follow the Dutch League, wouldn’t option 1 be attractive to us?  Aren’t they putting forward the teams to European competitions as per the table now?

Also, the latest guidance from the governing bodies would be beneficial for us in the Champions League, ie based on current performance / merit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bert said:

Regardless of what anyone thinks of that paper, it’s front page news and fairly detailed. Some things you can tell there’s substance to it. 

It’s not so difficult to sort out 

I mean we currently have tens of thousands of tests each day not done because no one is doing them cos the system doesn’t work..  A couple thousand tests a day to get football up and running is completely feasible, especially if there is intent from the teams.   That’s my only concern re this. Do enough clubs really want to complete the campaign. If they do then just get on with it. players are used to being away  June/July in tournaments anyway.  The EFL could be a problem to sort out though .....

Many vulnerable and elderly people who aren't unhealthy would like to get back to some sort of normality too .

Think everyone would unless they are used to just being at home doing nothing and out of work.

I think the playing games idea is good once the social distancing is relaxed.

I am sure if games were FTA fans would resist the urge to go and stand outside their grounds ..

The Dutch way seemed fair but then you stlll have the teams in the division below kicking off because they have been denied promotion.

PPG would be contentious for the relegated sides.

Really there are no winners apart from probably a few lawyers.

14 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It’s not so difficult to sort out 

I mean we currently have tens of thousands of tests each day not done because no one is doing them cos the system doesn’t work..  A couple thousand tests a day to get football up and running is completely feasible, especially if there is intent from the teams.   That’s my only concern re this. Do enough clubs really want to complete the campaign. If they do then just get on with it. players are used to being away  June/July in tournaments anyway.  The EFL could be a problem to sort out though .....

Whether they do or don’t they, the pressure they’re under from those above is the real story. 

One point I don’t quite get is this instance that emergency services would be required to attend these behind closed doors matches. I get it when there are thousands of fans, but if the stands are empty why do the police and paramedics need to be in attendance?

If a player gets injured and they require an ambulance (which lets be honest isn’t often) then you call an ambulance like every other work place in the country.

Just now, Ricey said:

One point I don’t quite get is this instance that emergency services would be required to attend these behind closed doors matches. I get it when there are thousands of fans, but if the stands are empty why do the police and paramedics need to be in attendance?

If a player gets injured and they require an ambulance (which lets be honest isn’t often) then you call an ambulance like every other work place in the country.

They could play at our place?

Just carry them out the stadium next door !!!

• Haha 1

On 24/04/2020 at 09:34, Ric Flair said:

The real elephant in the room though is the television money, if the 2020/21 season is delayed then clubs will not be paid the £100m+ they get each which is what pays the majority of the staffs wages. The whole footballing system is on a knife edge, i'd be amazed if things don't get very very murky in the next 12 months in football.

Indeed. Obviously it’s not ideal but the entire business model of the PL is based on TV revenue.

Clubs can probably survive the hit of losing matchday revenue for their remaining home 4/5 games, but without TV money the league as we know it won’t exist. 

13 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Not a surprise but they would come to an arrangement......... I would expect games to be one after another at weekends - all games available on TV.  Sky would broadcast the most attractive  and Burnley v Bournemouth would be left to FTA 

midweek fixtures more tricky as would have to be some cross over (3 tues, 4 wed, 3 thurs) but again, sky would take the big ones and FTA gets one of the less exciting ones. Others would be streamed on club websites anyway.   Remember we can play midweek games at seven and another at nine as no fans to get home ...........

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

I think more or less everyone needs to go back to work sooner or later.

Economically and mental health wise for any profession and business it's more damaging to keep this up. 

There is a very real possibility if this drags on much longer, there will be no or few economy, jobs or football clubs left.

At the end of the day football is in the entertainment and hospitality industry, arguably that is just as important to our mental health, well being and morale as any other aspect in life. The big danger is keeping us all locked up is going to be more damaging than the virus to the young fit and healthy for a lot longet. Our lives will be irretrievably damaged and aspects of live we enjoy will be forever lost.

We just need to protect those vulnerable people in society, to be able to effectively do that the rest of us need to get back to living life and keeping then safe.

I think the idea the economy is going to be up and running in any serious way in the next few months is delusional tbh mate. Can't see it at all.

I'm 'lucky' in the sense I'm still working but I don't see any mad rush from anybody else I know. Admittedly some of the self employed are struggling to get benefit claims through but nobody that works for minimum wage in restaurants, shops or pubs is going to be screaming to be allowed to risk their lives for a couple of hundred quid a week when furloughing exists.

On the subject of football, I think with no fans in the stadium we might see that return before other things. Because it would offer everybody else something whilst social distancing continues. But tbh I think watching football being played in empty stadiums will very quickly feel like watching international friendlies - completely soulless. 

Edited by Toddybad
  • Like 2

Not having fans would be a real shame and not what anyone would want but if we have the ability to watch live sport then discuss it is pretty appealing.

There's only so many XI's, greatest games, icons, comparison debates we can have generally before we all get fed up with each other.

The FA Cup could be played out as part of preseason, if we ever get near to that scenario. Lets face it, it is unlikely Clubs will be travelling all over the Globe playing in pointless Cups as is the norm.  More importantly this will not hinder Spuds chance of silverware playing out the Audi Cup against their Under 23's and Spurs Ladies.  

1 hour ago, Toddybad said:

I think the idea the economy is going to be up and running in any serious way in the next few months is delusional tbh mate. Can't see it at all.

I'm 'lucky' in the sense I'm still working but I don't see any mad rush from anybody else I know. Admittedly some of the self employed are struggling to get benefit claims through but nobody that works for minimum wage in restaurants, shops or pubs is going to be screaming to be allowed to risk their lives for a couple of hundred quid a week when furloughing exists.

On the subject of football, I think with no fans in the stadium we might see that return before other things. Because it would offer everybody else something whilst social distancing continues. But tbh I think watching football being played in empty stadiums will very quickly feel like watching international friendlies - completely soulless. 

I suppose the question exists, how long is furlough going to be affordable when the tax revenues must have all but dried up? I just feel something has to give somewhere, I think the balance of probability and science suggests most people will be able to fight the virus themselves with little or no effect. For me it's more important to protect the elderly and those with existing medical conditions to the upmost we can, and for that we need some kind of functioning economy. Maybe anyone who feels unsure about a return to work can be protected for longer then. To be honest I want to get back to it as soon as I can as do my staff - the plan is from the 11th of May to start limited production, back to full capacity by July, obviously everyone feels different. If my staff were to not want to return yet I will keep them on furlough.

I agree on the football side, however at present it beats getting excited about watching Maddison play Fifa! 😂

42 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

I suppose the question exists, how long is furlough going to be affordable when the tax revenues must have all but dried up? I just feel something has to give somewhere, I think the balance of probability and science suggests most people will be able to fight the virus themselves with little or no effect. For me it's more important to protect the elderly and those with existing medical conditions to the upmost we can, and for that we need some kind of functioning economy. Maybe anyone who feels unsure about a return to work can be protected for longer then. To be honest I want to get back to it as soon as I can as do my staff - the plan is from the 11th of May to start limited production, back to full capacity by July, obviously everyone feels different. If my staff were to not want to return yet I will keep them on furlough.

I agree on the football side, however at present it beats getting excited about watching Maddison play Fifa! 😂

There is no scientific basis for claiming the first highlighted bit atm. Different studies have found different things. We'll know more in the coming months with larger scale testing being done. 

I think it only struck me earlier what watching football without a crowd would be like. It's okay at grassroots level but you're going to hear the ball echoing around stadiums and little shouts player to player. It'll be like watching training sessions. You're right it's preferable to nothing though.

Edited by Toddybad
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

So the options are:

Someone’s done the figures here:

• Thanks 2