Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Eden De Bruyne

Timothy Castagne

3 minutes ago, murphy said:

I keep reading that this guy is 'solid' or 'versatile'.  Faint praise.

I was hoping for more than a steady Eddie.  There are players out there that could have replaced Chilwell and improved us.  Perhaps they wouldn't come,   

As it stands we go into the new season weakened.

So we have Ricardo and Thomas, a young England international, on the wings.

Then Justin and a Belgium international as further options.

And then Fuchs as backup.

Our LB/RB situation is great. And helps our problems on the wings.

Chilwell had some great games for us, but he also had some stinkers. If Castagne is indeed one of those steady, dependable types then it probably strengthens us on the whole - glaring weaknesses (at least, in defence) tend to have a bigger impact than strong performances from an individual, so a consistently 'good' level is probably an improvement. Especially if he's versatile and can play both sides (like Justin) as it gives us more flexibility in how we set up, and we can account for bad runs of form by shuffling players about without having to significantly weaken the squad.

Not the LB I was hoping for, admittedly, but he's a decent price for his ability and it will allow us to (hopefully) spend more on other areas of the squad which need addressing this summer. Plus he's young enough that he'll have decent sell-on value, so long-term we'll probably recoup a decent amount from him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

I don’t know, I haven’t seen him play. But I wasn’t exactly a massive fan of Chillwell.

1 minute ago, goose2010 said:

How would anyone know that? No one knows how any playing will cope in the prem All you do know is it leaves us 25 mill ish profit from the Chilwell deal 

By reputation. 

I keep hearing that he is solid and versaltile.  Versatile and solid, so I am expecting someone who is versatile, yet solid.  A steady Eddie.

I was hoping for someone with some dynamism and attacking intent to their game.  I can only go off reports of people that watch him.

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Quite clear we are going to 3 at the back which means Castagne is likely to play left wing back, where he has played a good chunk of his career at Atalanta.

I half joked about it yesterday, but it also could be some smart forward planning. If we rate Thomas very highly and we also think that Ricardo is likely to be on his way next summer.... you get in a player who is more than comfortable on the left, but can switch to the right if needed, opening up the pathway for Thomas.

Lets not forget, Ricardo was left back for Nice.

• Like 2

Well, I like the look of him. And he scores goals. Having player who is flexible is more useful than not plus he has European experience, will he be better than Chilwell? probably at this stage. And he is a full Belgian international....

Edited by Pliskin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, murphy said:

By reputation. 

I keep hearing that he is solid and versaltile.  Versatile and solid, so I am expecting someone who is versatile, yet solid.  A steady Eddie.

I was hoping for someone with some dynamism and attacking intent to their game.  I can only go off reports of people that watch him.

Chilwell has none of that, he’s not even steady. He has a good engine, that’s about it... which this bloke has.

• Like 1

Just now, Bert said:

I would be surprised if we wait until he returns from internationals for us to announce it. The club will do something fancy with some graphics and a backdrop 

So was his the medical In Frankfurt or is there another in the offing?

5 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

So we have Ricardo and Thomas, a young England international, on the wings.

Then Justin and a Belgium international as further options.

And then Fuchs as backup.

Our LB/RB situation is great. And helps our problems on the wings.

Don’t forget Amartey... alright forget Amartey.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Silva Fox said:

So was his the medical In Frankfurt or is there another in the offing?

Well as i said last night there was a medical in Frankfurt and that was as much as I knew, now I’m not a genius but 2+2 surely equals 4 here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I half joked about it yesterday, but it also could be some smart forward planning. If we rate Thomas very highly and we also think that Ricardo is likely to be on his way next summer.... you get in a player who is more than comfortable on the left, but can switch to the right if needed, opening up the pathway for Thomas.

Lets not forget, Ricardo was left back for Nice.

That forward planning is not just about replacing departing lb with new lb who can then also replace departing rb.  If the plan is to eventually replace Ricardo with Castagne then I want to see plan B.

28 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Quite clear we are going to 3 at the back which means Castagne is likely to play left wing back, where he has played a good chunk of his career at Atalanta.

Quite clear? Right so we are missing our best centre back for the first 3 weeks and our 36 year old 3rd best had to hobble off the pitch on Saturday. 

Who are we planning to use at CB?

Just now, dannythefox said:

Nice to finally get one over the line the fact we wanted him last summer is good shows were no panic buying. Winger and a striker next please.

One, maybe two CBS first!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bert said:

I would be surprised if we wait until he returns from internationals for us to announce it. The club will do something fancy with some graphics and a backdrop 

Media boys may push for a TikTok dance routine With Youri and Dennis 💃 

• Haha 2