Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Eden De Bruyne

Timothy Castagne

2 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

€25m is the gross fee with bonuses, the up front fee is €20m which is less than £18m.

Depends what the bonuses are then I guess but still feels like we have paid the max price, I guess it highlights the need though. Missing loads of key players for the start of the season and we really need a good start.

16 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Looks like this one is happening then.

First of all I'm happy that it looks like we're getting a signing in. I've been demanding action and we've got it.

I think he's clearly a decent player and I'm in favour of buying him - however there's a few things.....

- A year left on his deal and doesn't actually start for Atalanta ahead of Gosens & Hateboer.

- Predominantly a wing back and is right footed. This to me assumes we're going to be changing to three at the back. That or we're playing him right back and Justin left back, until Ricardo is back.

- The fee. Twenty five million. That's a fair bit of money and too much when you factor in the other two bullet points. I feel like for that kind of money we could buy an actual natural left back.

Like I said, I'm happy enough with him, but overall factoring in everything I think we're overpaying here, it should be half that and they've had us a bit.

Castagne is no benchwarmer, though. He made 33 appearances this season and started a good chunk of them. He had his flank on lockdown for 90 minutes against Juve. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

When I get into work tomorrow, I'm going to ask Nick Platnauer if he is right-footed.

Also ask him what on earth he was doing that game trying to play as an attacker... Quite annoyed Brian Little that did as well as me..

12 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

If he has a poor debut, am concerned some 'fans' will think twice about this signing already (given how some are very quick to judge)..

You can say that about EVERY player.

No one can be certain how any player would fit (or not fit) into a team until it happens. If such discourse is an issue, we can close down this section of FT.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

If he has a poor debut, am concerned some 'fans' will think twice about this signing already (given how some are very quick to judge)..

Seem to remember a certain Ricardo being absolutely bullied in his first few games for us.

Think this will be great, right footer will compliment Barnes' left foot on the overlap. Makes sense to me.

EDIT: That is a Ricardo Peirera, not the much forgotten goalkeeper...

Edited by FoxTrott
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Earle said:

If this happens, here’s my take on Brendan’s cunning plan:-

- Tim plays RB up to Oct 5th

- JJ plays LB, except in the League Cup, when Thomas starts

- Ricky will be fit to resume at RB just after the window closes

- Tim then moves to LB

- Thomas then goes to a Championship club on loan

- next summer we lose Ricky to a European giant 😰

- next (2021-22) season our starting FBs are Timmy & Thomas

Hmm, too cunning?

That sounds very plausible indeed.

Only thing I would say is that you might see Albrighton start as LWB. He played there a few times post lockdown and was pretty good. Or even Albrighton as RWB and Castagne as LWB, etc. With European games we'll have a lot of fixtures, so having two sets of wingbacks plus cover isn't outlandish at all. JJ looked good as a third CB as well with his pace. I could see him playing all three roles over time!

As for Ricky P, you couldn't begrudge him a move could you? He's twice the player Maguire or Chilwell will ever be and genuienly should be playing for a team competing for the top trophies. Soyuncu and Ndidi will probably go that way too eventually.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

You can say that about EVERY player.

No one can be certain how any player would fit (or not fit) into a team until it happens. If such discourse is an issue, we can close down this section of FT.

That’s the point.   No transfer is risk-free and fans will snap judge anybody.  Castagne is a very good player and in no way a bench-warmer - he’s here to start every meaningful game as long as he’s healthy.  On the right till Ricardo comes back and after he’s sold, and on the left in-between.

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Tielemans, Praet and Castagne all in action... :frantics::whistle:

(At least I think it's him!)

Pretty sure that's him on the left. Good Times. Rodgers and Martinez will be very happy if this comes off.

45 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

That’s the point.   No transfer is risk-free and fans will snap judge anybody.  Castagne is a very good player and in no way a bench-warmer - he’s here to start every meaningful game as long as he’s healthy.  On the right till Ricardo comes back and after he’s sold, and on the left in-between.

Not disagreeing, but that's probably the same thought when we acquired Adrien Silva.

Personally, I enjoy the wide-ranging discussions (and the differing opinions) on these threads, even those that some would consider as "snap" judgment, but ultimately every fan wants the best for the team and most will eventually lustily cheer any player if they do well for us, whatever pre-opinion they had of the player.

As for Castagne himself, my principal concern (having admittedly not previously closely followed his career) is that, having now watched as many as I can find as it seems his joining us is imminent, he is primarily a right-footed RB (and with all due respect, no Phil Lamm). For 25 mil, a natural LB would be my preference. 

It's great to plan for the future, so long as we do not relegate pressing present needs. For whatever some may have thought of (and mocked) Chilwell, we are losing a quality LB (a full England international likely on the ascendancy), and will likely be poorer for it, unless and until we get a quality replacement at the position.

I tend to be OPTIMISTIC by nature, so I am hopefully this will all work out. :scarf:

2 hours ago, The_77 said:

Castagne is no benchwarmer, though. He made 33 appearances this season and started a good chunk of them. He had his flank on lockdown for 90 minutes against Juve. 

I am not doubting he's a good player, like I say, I'm not unhappy to sign him - having read Fancasts recent report on the potential replacement options for him I thought he appeared the most likely given his contract situation.

My gripe is that you've got him not important enough to Atalanta for them to not let him run his contract down, and there are questions about the position he actually fits in most.

I think when both of those things are considered, we've paid a bit too much for him.

I'll say this once and I'll likely refer back to it when it gets thrown at me again later in the window - I'm aware it's not my money, but getting the most for your money is imperative for a club like us progressing to the top. I personally wouldn't have gone over £12mil.

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

That sounds very plausible indeed.

Only thing I would say is that you might see Albrighton start as LWB. He played there a few times post lockdown and was pretty good. Or even Albrighton as RWB and Castagne as LWB, etc. With European games we'll have a lot of fixtures, so having two sets of wingbacks plus cover isn't outlandish at all. JJ looked good as a third CB as well with his pace. I could see him playing all three roles over time!

As for Ricky P, you couldn't begrudge him a move could you? 

Yes!

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

He's twice the player Maguire or Chilwell will ever be and genuienly should be playing for a team competing for the top trophies. Soyuncu and Ndidi will probably go that way too eventually.

That is why we should strain every sinew to keep him.  Maguire and Chilwell left on our terms, ie it was in the club's interest to sell for the fees involved.  Ricardo doesn't fit into that category.

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I am not doubting he's a good player, like I say, I'm not unhappy to sign him - having read Fancasts recent report on the potential replacement options for him I thought he appeared the most likely given his contract situation.

My gripe is that you've got him not important enough to Atalanta for them to not let him run his contract down, and there are questions about the position he actually fits in most.

I think when both of those things are considered, we've paid a bit too much for him.

I'll say this once and I'll likely refer back to it when it gets thrown at me again later in the window - I'm aware it's not my money, but getting the most for your money is imperative for a club like us progressing to the top. I personally wouldn't have gone over £12mil.

ramsey did the same with arsenal

32 minutes ago, Nick said:

What do Atalanta fans reckon to him?

Trying to post from Chrome using Google Translate, #herewego

Brasa
Too bad because I liked him a lot, maybe he was my favorite among the outsiders ... Great tactical flexibility, good technique and game intelligence, certainly you do not replace him with simplicity.However, it must be said that the figure, if confirmed, It is excellent for a player expiring in 2022 and who I imagine will take figures that we do not want to become the norm (for me between 1.5 and 2 M year) .At this point, however, I would go to reinvest all or almost the amount in 2 external , since without chestnuts it is perhaps a gamble to keep as a fourth bear. I on the right would focus on Maehle or karsdorp …  Read more "
01-09-2020 07:16:58
Transalp71

White smoke 25 million,  shutmouth.png shutmouth.pngnow they will focus on bellanova and bears?canna.gif
01-09-2020 06:40:52

trescurneroblu
Nooooooooooooooo chestnuts ceded to Leicester almost done ... for me this is a hard blow to diges
Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1