Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
merlin1969

Philippe Coutinho to Leicester whispers

27 minutes ago, kyleolly said:

Who’s your Barca buddy? Sean from Lloret De Mar

Also it's funny how this buddy is any  more likely to know than anyone else connected to the internet.

It's not like it's your mate from Hamilton Academicals who might actually know the chairman or something...

10 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Oh God, why am I even allowing myself to think that this could actually happen?

Our brains need the stimulation whilst otherwise being battered into mush by the present state of things.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Staff said:

What's that then 

That Setién loves Coutinho and wants to bring him back.  He thinks most of the problems were with the way he was used, and that he knows how to use him (in a more central role).

I mean it sounds fanciful, far fetched, and outrageous.

I say go for it. Why not try it. I know it's financially daft and probably going to turn a few heads but you don't break into the elite by grinding your way in.

Through the benefit of a few canny transfers we've got a good stable of bordering world-class players, why not add a proven one - even if it costs.

It's the kind of statement of intent that persuades others to join us, those that may be on the fence and eminently more affordable. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I say go for it. Why not try it. I know it's financially daft and probably going to turn a few heads but you don't break into the elite by grinding your way in.

Why not, that's what we have done so far (worked decently), Spurs before us, RB Leipzig, etc all have grinded their way in. In fact, I haven't seen anyone break into the elite just throwing money at the wall since FFP has set in.

3 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Why not, that's what we have done so far (worked decently), Spurs before us, RB Leipzig, etc all have grinded their way in. In fact, I haven't seen anyone break into the elite just throwing money at the wall since FFP has set in.

Tottenham were always a bit of a bigger club and RB Leipzig aren't in the Premier League mate. 

• Like 1

On 08/05/2020 at 18:44, Bob Farley said:

BBC are reporting that Newcastle will splash their cash on him if the Saudis take over

Not sure how they do it without breaking ffp.  More creative accounting by Saudis I guess.

23 hours ago, sylofox said:

Not sure how they do it without breaking ffp.  More creative accounting by Saudis I guess.

Newcastle are big club and I’m guessing they are possibly one of 2 teams (the other probably being West Ham?) outside of the traditional big 6 in the Premier League that could potentially meet FFP an attract big names (providing the club as a business is run correctly). If the takeover completes and after a few seasons pass, I’m sure they would be able to easily out muscle the likes of us in the transfer market irrespective of our clubs position in the table. As you mentioned, Coutinho may be a bit of stretch for them at the moment though considering the amount of positions on the field they need to improve in

Edited by s11nny

7 hours ago, s11nny said:

Newcastle are big club and I’m guessing they are possibly one of 2 teams (the other probably being West Ham?) outside of the traditional big 6 in the Premier League that could potentially meet FFP an attract big names (providing the club as a business is run correctly). If the takeover completes and after a few seasons pass, I’m sure they would be able to easily out muscle the likes of us in the transfer market irrespective of our clubs position in the table. As you mentioned, Coutinho may be a bit of stretch for them at the moment though considering the amount of positions on the field they need to improve in

I'm thinking the wage increase will get them.

He won’t be sold in the window... no clubs with their drop of income in the last few months will be able to afford him. He’ll go out on loan and that will be our best chance of getting him.. 

16 hours ago, s11nny said:

Definitely a bit of a stretch for us. Not just because, like @sylofox says we'll be restricted by FFP wage rules. Coutinho is a player who wants to win things, and Newcastle United are some way short of competing for domestic or European honours. Even if the takeover goes through, it'll take a fair few seasons before that changes (if it does at all). Coutinho is 27 years old, he's got maybe 3-4 seasons left at the peak of his powers. Will he want to spend any of that a club in flux with small chance of adding to his winners medal collection? I doubt it. Given we can't suddenly start paying players £300k a week it's not like we could compensate that lack of silverware with cold hard cash.

We need fullbacks, central midfielders, and are hilariously short up front. As good as Coutinho clearly is, I personally we'd be better off splashing the cash to fill those positions instead of attacking midfield, an area we're all right at. The more realistic names I've seen linked are players like Eduoard of Celtic, McGinn from Villa. Better than what we have, but not superstars yet. 

• Like 3