Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

Who do you want Summer 2020

1 minute ago, GDesign_JRC said:

That's the main reason we are signing 3-4 on a free, then we could sell 1-2 for 20-25 millions in total to sign one good player - Benrahma or Buendia for example

You're assuming someone will pay the valuation we choose for our players. Love to see Benrahma fight for the shirt here. :scarf:

We need a player in that will really give the club a lift... Man Utd got Fernandes In Jan and look at the positive affect that had... 

We got Bennett, enough said...

A winger does this for me... As all our current crop are inconsistent..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Earle said:

Too much focus on here on the negatives in @themightyfin's post. He also said net spend.

I'm not remotely ITK but I expect one or two signings in the £20/30M bracket. That would net down nicely with a handful of sales, and with more leaving than arriving should leave the wage bill much as is. 

He also said none of our main players will be sold so where does the £50/60m come from to achieve a zero net spend?

47 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Surely big Jan is worth a punt? Experienced player to add to the mix? 

I would love to have him - a great character guy and still a very good CB - but no indication of interest from either side.

I keep looking at Mario Götze and cant get past thinking Brendan will fancy working with him when is available on a free transfer. He loves a big name and there is no doubting Götze has the ability -  not being good enough for Dortmund is not really anything to be scared of considering the talent they have in their squad now. We could do a lot worse than him with the lack of funds available. 

Free transfers doesn’t always mean no quality does it! 

Given we were linked to Gotze a while back that one wouldn’t surprise me. 

As others have said the Olimpiacos right back Elabdelaoi (sp) is probably nailed on.

Just now, RonnieTodger said:

Jeez we've really ****ed it haven't we. Surely we would've spent bigger if we made the top 4?

The financial difference between Europa League and Champions League is huge. It’s circa €15 million for getting into the group stages of the Champions League and only around €2 million for the Europa League equivalent. 

Really frustrating that it’s worked out how it has. 

4 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

I keep looking at Mario Götze and cant get past thinking Brendan will fancy working with him when is available on a free transfer. He loves a big name and there is no doubting Götze has the ability -  not being good enough for Dortmund is not really anything to be scared of considering the talent they have in their squad now. We could do a lot worse than him with the lack of funds available. 

Gotzë has the potential to have the Merson Pompey effect. He’s got all the ability in the world, but for whatever reason has never taken his career by the scruff of the neck. Could be a decent signing considering the wage demands aren’t outrageous and he is up for it. 

2 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Makes me laugh that people are blaming Rodgers/Congerton as if they've specifically asked to only sign free transfers lol 

If that's all we do, it will be because the club is tightening their wallets with big money spent on training ground, stadium upgrade, and concerns about how Covid will impact them given they run a duty free business.

I don't think we'll spend lots but I think we'll still be in the market for £20m-£30m players, 1 or maybe 2. Couple of freebies and a couple of high profile loans. I just hope we can get them sorted early on rather than waiting until towards the end of the window. If done right, then I think that could be enough, one thing is for sure, if money is tight we can't be spending it on Vestergaard.

..stadium upgrade will take a back seat!!!

If I recall, this season's final place money was earmarked for the expansion.

Not too sure how Covid impacting King Power would have a detrimental effect on the club unless we were on the verge of administration.

They are not allowed to finance the club due to FFP and therefore any drop in their business revenue does not or should impact the club.

15 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He also said none of our main players will be sold so where does the £50/60m come from to achieve a zero net spend?

Not that much coming in @Ric Flair, doubt that very much. And nobody's talking of a zero net spend, but one close to our summer window average of £20-30m. We could get something approaching £30m for Slimani, Gray & Ghezzal (10,15, 5?) and free up some wage spend by losing two or three of James, Mendy, Diabate & Amartey. So I see a spend of £50-60m, a net spend of £20-30m, maybe £40m at the most. 

Allows us two good signings at 'our' level (up to £30m each) and a sprinkling of loans and Bosmans.

I'm not unhappy with that as a prospect.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

Could Matty Longstaff be a shout from Newcastle? He’s out of contract by the looks of it and refusing to sign a new one because they are trying to get him to agree a cheap deal. Looked a good all action midfielder whenever I’ve seen him play. 

I think the issue would be the compensation we would be forced to pay due to his age. Unless he signs for OH leuven the comes on loan for a season and then signs permanently the season after. It seemed to me that's what Watford are trying to do with Udinese. 

15 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

The financial difference between Europa League and Champions League is huge. It’s circa €15 million for getting into the group stages of the Champions League and only around €2 million for the Europa League equivalent. 

Really frustrating that it’s worked out how it has. 

Haven't we earnt around £40m more this season than we did last season when finishing 9th? Add in a large chunk of the £80m we received for Maguire that we haven't yet spent (appreciate we have given a huge new deal to Rodgers but surely we aren't daft enough to use short term finances to completely pay for that)

I'd expect us to still be ambitious enough to spend similar amounts to previous seasons, this slump should be evidence of just how delicate the difference between success and losing momentum is. We need to improve our squad significantly.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AjcW said:

As others have said the Olimpiacos right back Elabdelaoi (sp) is probably nailed on.

He’s going to Galatasaray mate

13 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Not that much coming in @Ric Flair, doubt that very much. And nobody's talking of a zero net spend, but one close to our summer window average of £20-30m. We could get something approaching £30m for Slimani, Gray & Ghezzal (10,15, 5?) and free up some wage spend by losing two or three of James, Mendy, Diabate & Amartey. So I see a spend of £50-60m, a net spend of £20-30m, maybe £40m at the most. 

Allows us two good signings at 'our' level (up to £30m each) and a sprinkling of loans and Bosmans.

I'm not unhappy with that as a prospect.

PS - I didn't mention Silva as I suspect we'll be paying for him, one way or another, next season...

28 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Absolutely not. Get Malang Sarr, Ryan Fraser and Angel Gomes in and our squad looks instantly stronger. After that, we are maybe a quality winger and striker away from being sorted. 

Would rather not sign fraser at all than get him on a free personally. All he does is cross and we've see with albrighton that crossing does nothing for us, he would take up wages and a spot in the squad for the next 3 year, pretty much instant deadwood. Willian i would be ok with but he's really nothing special but if we're limited to free transfers he might be our best option.

6 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

People are talking if we're way worse off than other clubs....compared to most clubs in the premier league we're much better off than we were a year ago- yes theres been a pandemic but its the same for everyone. 

Also people slagging off congerton, macia had a terrible rep before he joined here - our system is still one of the best going and we've got the same DoF in charge. I get congerton has been poor but at appaulling run clubs. There's still some very good operators running our club.

Exactly, it's not as if we threw loads of money last season at qualifying for the top 4, our whole target was top 6 and we tried but failed to spend the Maguire money. Ok, we knew he was likely going so Tielemans and Perez at £60m up front is likely to have been agreed based on revenue we had generated and Maguire going but there's surplus funds available and even with a pandemic we are in decent nick like a lot of PL clubs are and there'll be money available. Had we been top 4 for a few years and then missed out I could understand the drop in funds available.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Would rather not sign fraser at all than get him on a free personally. All he does is cross and we've see with albrighton that crossing does nothing for us, he would take up wages and a spot in the squad for the next 3 year, pretty much instant deadwood. Willian i would be ok with but he's really nothing special but if we're limited to free transfers he might be our best option.

it will take a bundle of dosh as a signing on fee to get Willian so not really a "free" even Fraser will cost something

6 minutes ago, surrifox said:

it will take a bundle of dosh as a signing on fee to get Willian so not really a "free" even Fraser will cost something

Yh i would rather get a top quality player like brooks or zaha for 20 mil or 40 mil respectively. Im just saying that if it was up to me i wouldnt have Fraser anywhere near the club, nowhere near top 6 quality which is the type of winger we need to be looking to sign.