Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CloudFox

Wesley Fofana

3 minutes ago, Fox seen in Norwich said:

For £30m+ I’d expect to be getting a starter for that price.

while accepting his fee is due to potential do we think he will be a starter?

if so who he replace? Evans or cags? 

cant imagine we’ll switch to 3atb as that would still mean a couple more cb’s to provide cover 

We might play 50 more games this season.

If you have three frontline CB's playing in a two and they share the workload evenly that's still 33 games each.  He'll come here as third choice and still get plenty of game time, how things work out for the rest of the season is up to the three CB's and how they perform. 

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

We might play 50 more games this season.

If you have three frontline CB's playing in a two and they share the workload evenly that's still 33 games each.  He'll come here as third choice and still get plenty of game time, how things work out for the rest of the season is up to the three CB's and how they perform. 

Fair point.. rotation risks inconsistency but having read your post I guess given the amount of games then rotation is inevitable.. and almost a must.

i should have thought of that, thanks for stating the obvious to me 👍🏻

• Like 1

Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

...and you know this how?

Clubs don't insure players anymore, it's far too expensive. They might have done in the days when players were getting working man wages.

Insurance companies are there to make money if you want to insure something for £30m that has a 0.5% chance of happening they'll want a £300,000 premium. 

6 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Clubs don't insure players anymore, it's far too expensive. They might have done in the days when players were getting working man wages.

Insurance companies are there to make money if you want to insure something for £30m that has a 0.5% chance of happening they'll want a £300,000 premium. 

...appears to be disputed by google!!!

Do football clubs have insurance for players?

Clubs do have insurance on their players. The coverage varies from injuries to death in service (including those due to tragic incidents like plane crashes or bombings). It depends on the players and the clubs.

Players sign contracts they get paid whether they are injured or not.  A player might buy insurance but it would be to cover some period after the end of their contract   Not sure who would want this insurance though

Clubs buy insurance as a player been injured is a lost asset.  

Either way you buy insurance from an insurance company.  Self insurance is just not buying insurance.  

1 minute ago, Cleminem said:

"A club of our standing"... Should I remind you that you've been only 1 time champion? St-Étienne has been 10 times, which actually is the highest performance in France si may be you should reconsider your opinion about St-Étienne. 

By the way, we're deeply sorry if it hurts you that we refuse to sell our best player after having played less than 6 months with the professional group. Wesley has spent 6 years in the young classes of St-Étienne, so we believe he can play at least a complete season before he moves away. As fans, we all think that Wesley will cost much more than 30M€ with one or two more years of experience. So be patient, stay focused on your "high standing" expectations and perhaps we can make a deal next year... for hopefully much more than 30 Millions. :wave:

Welcome to our forum, enjoy the confident rants of those certain they know what's going on based on very little evidence. 

I don’t think we can really begrudge ASSE for wanting to keep hold of their key players, it’s something we would do and have done in the past (Mahrez, etc.)

What I find a little baffling is the notion that turning down €32m now is a good move because by the end of the season he will be worth €50m.... there is so much that could happen between now and the end of the season that could have a massive effect on the value of the player..

Aside from the obvious financial issues around COVID, he could pick up a injury within the first few months of the campaign that put him out of action for the majority of the year.. he could still end up throwing a strop at not being allowed to leave and his performance levels suffer because of it.. or he could simply just end up having a bit of a sh*t year..

Any/all of which would likely see his valuation drop.

An offer of around €35m plus % of future transfer fee would ensure that if he did become a hit and he ends up being sold by us for a profit, they would still then be entitled to an additional €6-9m...

Edited by Muzzy_Izzn’t
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Gerard said:

He isn't insured.

29 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...and you know this how?

clubs can insure their players against injury which curtails their career (as a lost asset) but will be for much less than the transfer valuation in a selling market (as this is for fofana) 

players are insured as a matter of course for lots of reasons but if fofana’s career ended next spring then ASSE would not receive anything like their loss on the deal they had turned down. The player would likely receive his contract paid up. Everyone loses !! 

6 minutes ago, Cleminem said:

"A club of our standing"... Should I remind you that you've been only 1 time champion? St-Étienne has been 10 times, which actually is the highest performance in France si may be you should reconsider your opinion about St-Étienne. 

By the way, we're deeply sorry if it hurts you that we refuse to sell our best player after having played less than 6 months with the professional group. Wesley has spent 6 years in the young classes of St-Étienne, so we believe he can play at least a complete season before he moves away. As fans, we all think that Wesley will cost much more than 30M€ with one or two more years of experience. So be patient, stay focused on your "high standing" expectations and perhaps we can make a deal next year... for hopefully much more than 30 Millions. :wave:

Welcome @Cleminum

Fully understand the position of St-Étienne, and I would expect us to do same were the situation reverse (We have in the past to local clubs considered larger more powerful than ourselves, with both Mahrez and Maguire)

You should also bear in mind the (mild?) animosity that some Leicester fans feel towards your current manager, as the fit was never right, and as much as the intent, especially with the younger players was laudable, the results fell well below expectation.  So Claude's name rings not bells of jubilation here, yet in France at large I think, the opposite?

If you sought to provoke fiery responses, then I fear you may be disappointed (for the large part at least)

Salut

11 minutes ago, Cleminem said:

Do the French struggle with humour (you know, just like the Germans)? 

Regardez Mon visage

Suis-je bovvered? 

:welcome:

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cleminem said:

Out of interest Cleminem, how severe are the financial problems at ASSE? I think this is why our fans are getting very annoyed because we have been fed the line that a lot of French clubs (you being one of the worst hit) are needing to raise funds ASAP and that's why we got our hopes up that Fofana would be joining us imminently.

You have 2 high value assets in Fofana and Bouanga. Aouchiche will be a superstar too in another year or so, do you need to sell this window or are you all content to go with what you have? I read you cannot afford €4m for a transfer target you had on your radar.

PS Puel is a bell sniffer, I do like your club though. Always had a soft spot for them.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Cleminem said:

He was joking lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Do the French struggle with humour (you know, just like the Germans)? 

Regardez Mon visage

Suis-je bovvered? 

:welcome:

I can guarantee you sarcasm is hard to recognise when englsh isn't your 1st language. I speak both French and German and have lived in both countries and can assure you their humour is on a par with ours - no question. 😊

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Muzzy_Izzn’t said:

I don’t think we can really begrudge ASSE for wanting to keep hold of their key players, it’s something we would do and have done in the past (Mahrez, etc.)

What I find a little baffling is the notion that turning down €32m now is a good move because by the end of the season he will be worth €50m.... there is so much that could happen between now and the end of the season that could have a massive effect on the value of the player..

Aside from the obvious financial issues around COVID, he could pick up a injury within the first few months of the campaign that put him out of action for the majority of the year.. he could still end up throwing a strop at not being allowed to leave and his performance levels suffer because of it.. or he could simply just end up having a bit of a shit year..

Any/all of which would likely see his valuation drop.

An offer of around €35m plus % of future transfer fee would ensure that if he did become a hit and he ends up being sold by us for a profit, they would still then be entitled to an additional €6-9m...

For sure many things can happen this year, that can affect his value. But you know, we've sold William Saliba last summer to Arsenal, which has been considered afterward as a big mistake, and it was sure that we won't commit 2 times the same mistake. Sorry guys, but Puel has been clear since end of last season: we definitely won't sell Wesley this year, what ever the risk we take to see his value declining this year.