Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

Boris Johnson misled parliament over the publication of coronavirus contracts, a court order appears to show.

The prime minister had claimed that the contracts, which are subject to a legal challenge and cronyism allegations, were “there on the record for everybody to see”.

But a final order handed down by the High Court on Friday says the government had in fact only published “608 out of 708 relevant contracts”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-covid-contracts-court-b1813003.html

What a character eh. His hair's so funny!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

There's no point hiding that image plays a big role in politics. Do you think that if Labour were to stick with the policies which made up their 2017 manifesto but had a more presentable (probably younger) and more charismatic leader with less baggage they'd be successful?

Milliband (for example) would have possibly pulled it off. 

11 hours ago, peach0000 said:

I’ve said it before but Labours issue is that there was a large minority of people in the country who loved Corbyn and his policies (at least 20-30%). They are among Labours most loyal voters. Since the last general election they’ve completely disregarded that core group of voters and then wonder why they are polling lower. 

Three years is a long time away and it does have an effect on even polls. What people get asked now, they answer with a laissez faire attitude. Ask six weeks from an election and people’s minds are focused more. The Labour wobblers will be back behind the party 

8 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Milliband (for example) would have possibly pulled it off. 

Three years is a long time away and it does have an effect on even polls. What people get asked now, they answer with a laissez faire attitude. Ask six weeks from an election and people’s minds are focused more. The Labour wobblers will be back behind the party 

Milliband oddly, is by far the best which Labour have in the shadow cabinet. He's so much more charismatic now than when he was leader. He could've and really should've beaten Cameron in 2015, I think he'd have done good things for our country. 

The pandemic has completely blown the political spectrum open, which I'm sure will realign over the forthcoming years, maybe come 2024 people may actually be sick of conservatism enough to back someone else.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

He's not splitting anything 

Do you not think? The voters he’ll be targeting are way more likely to be conservative voters. If and it’s a big if, he gains traction it’ll surely be the Tory vote that will suffer. 

23 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Do you not think? The voters he’ll be targeting are way more likely to be conservative voters. If and it’s a big if, he gains traction it’ll surely be the Tory vote that will suffer. 

Nobody's going to vote for him. If you're worried about wokeism I don't see how the London Mayor is going to do anything about it 

2 hours ago, Corky said:

For a bloke who is silenced, he doesn't half speak a lot.

He’s a posh, London luvvie so will be fine. Goes on about “cancelled” but the only other Z-lister I’ve seen get more attention lately is Duchess Meghan Hewitt of Los Angeles.

2 hours ago, peach0000 said:

He has a weird cult following. I can see him get a few votes.

I’ll bet he gets under 10000 votes.So doubt there will be much lost sleep.I think you need 800000ish to win the thing.Plus there’s plenty of other oddballs to equalise any loss to protest voters.I would expect Khan to win anyway,even though he looks like he really doesn’t like the job very much.

6 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

I’ll bet he gets under 10000 votes.So doubt there will be much lost sleep.I think you need 800000ish to win the thing.Plus there’s plenty of other oddballs to equalise any loss to protest voters.I would expect Khan to win anyway,even though he looks like he really doesn’t like the job very much.

Just looked it up and you usually need around 1-1.3 million to win. I could see him getting more than 10,000 personally but we’ll see. I’m just shocked how few Londoners bother voting!

4 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Just looked it up and you usually need around 1-1.3 million to win. I could see him getting more than 10,000 personally but we’ll see. I’m just shocked how few Londoners bother voting!

Yes you’re correct,just looked it up myself.I remember Livingstone getting 800000 odd(nearly 900000 turns out) and running Johnson close,but in fact he won by a fair distance.

• Like 1

I don't know of this is right place for my little rant but it is very frustrating that my job requires university level qualifications and membership of an industry body and I can't afford to buy a house nor can I afford to rent on my own. It's not like I live in London either. 

On 07/03/2021 at 12:45, BenTheFox said:

I don't know of this is right place for my little rant but it is very frustrating that my job requires university level qualifications and membership of an industry body and I can't afford to buy a house nor can I afford to rent on my own. It's not like I live in London either. 

University qualifications isn't the great advantage that it used to be, or want it to be. 

16 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

University qualifications isn't the great advantage that it used to be, or want it to be. 

That's not really the point though. It's that I can't get that job without those qualification yet I have them and can't afford to live independently. 

On 07/03/2021 at 12:45, BenTheFox said:

3 hours ago, Spudulike said:

2 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

That's not really the point though. It's that I can't get that job without those qualification yet I have them and can't afford to live independently. 

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Wrong job? 

I went to university, got a 2:1 and the money I was earning in jobs was crap, barely above minimum wage. I then did an engineering apprenticeship and earn far more, luckily I enjoy the job as well so it's perfect.

Some jobs just sadly pay poorly, and if it's what you really want to do, then you just have to suck it up. If you want more money, then you'll have to move jobs or do something different, that's life. One of my mates is a youth coach for a professional football club, he absolutely loves it, but he earns just above minimum wage, whilst their footballers are earning thousands a week lol

Sometimes in life you have to make choices, they're not always easy, nor are they always the right ones, but you may have to pick between a job that makes you happy or a job that leaves you financially better off.

• Like 2