Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

57 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

People are not the problem. Leicester and other big Cities are going to struggle. We have kids going to schools they don’t live near.  Being driven from all over the City to a school they don’t live within 3 mile of. Schools are big spreading places. These kids then go home and spread it more and because of our schools system they are going home and spreading It to different communities all around our City. We also have massive factories and warehouses and other huge workplaces so when these kids bring it home The parents then go to these places of work and spread. The nutter who won’t wear a mask is a tiny percentage of the spreading problem. We can’t beat a virus.  It will spread. If you honestly think the people of Leicester are at fault whereas the people of Cornwall are not you are living in cloud cuckoo land. All the big Cities have faired the same. 

You had people as the main problem when the virus was spreading in the east of the city. What has changed ?

• Like 1

Boris suggesting that there could be a full lockdown in January if rules are not complied with. 

Yet they have permitted the five day window around Christmas. 

Nearly a year and they still aren’t the most tactful when it comes to communication

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Hasn’t be anything like that since March this year and won’t be this Christmas with social distancing/capacity limits. I feel for non retail business as much as anyone but let’s not present bullshit here as fact 

You dont think it will look like that the first Saturday its opens? We will have to see. 

6 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Boris suggesting that there could be a full lockdown in January if rules are complied with. 

Nearly a year and they still aren’t the most tactful when it comes to communication

I don't believe we'll avoid a full lockdown in January. In terms of the virus circulating, the Christmas period will be a total disaster unfortunately.

• Like 1

Bloody Liverpool must of been mentioned 30 times, I’m in a real huff about this because whilst Leicester was still under severe restrictions Liverpool carried on like there was no virus. I know someone who visited Liverpool and their exact words were “it’s as if the virus didn’t exist” no masks etc pubs were normal no social distancing. 
I object to them being lauded as some heroic City.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02973-3

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/risk-comms-updates/update39-covid-and-schools.pdf?sfvrsn=320db233_2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52003804

I'm interested to see the evidence to back up your claim that 'schools are big spreading places'. I just looked up 'school children spreading corona virus' and the first three links that came up are posted above, all of which say otherwise, certainly in younger children, and older ones should be more able to manage the hygiene and social distancing when they return home to avoid passing it on to parents I would have thought, at least mine are.

Happy to be shown otherwise though, especially as I have children of school age too :)

The rise in cases after schools quite rightly opened I’m sure proves they were a big reason. 

3 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

The rise in cases after schools quite rightly opened I’m sure proves they were a big reason. 

A Sage report has already quite clearly stated that cases were already on the rise in the wider community before schools reopened though? As I said, I'd like to see evidence to back up your claim, rather than just opinion.

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/child-infection-rate-rise-began-when-schools-reopened-but-direct-link-unproven-says-sage/

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-schools/no-clear-link-between-school-opening-and-covid-surge-study-finds-idUKKBN26L3UE

• Like 3

1 hour ago, adam said:

You dont think it will look like that the first Saturday its opens? We will have to see. 

No because there are capacity restrictions. Most stores have a queuing system. Things such as public transport is reduced as well to get into the main cities. People aren’t working in cities to stay around and do things like late night shopping. 

Physical shopping numbers are way down in comparison to last year on a month by month basis. The trend will continue. Christmas shopping begins in October 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Boris suggesting that there could be a full lockdown in January if rules are complied with. 

Why would we have a lockdown if rules are complied with?

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02973-3

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/risk-comms-updates/update39-covid-and-schools.pdf?sfvrsn=320db233_2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52003804

I'm interested to see the evidence to back up your claim that 'schools are big spreading places'. I just looked up 'school children spreading corona virus' and the first three links that came up are posted above, all of which say otherwise, certainly in younger children, and older ones should be more able to manage the hygiene and social distancing when they return home to avoid passing it on to parents I would have thought, at least mine are.

Happy to be shown otherwise though, especially as I have children of school age too :)

Already posted by FoxesDeb

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

I have to say, I'm disappointed that we're in Hinckley and we come under West Mids level 3. Our own IR is 1.0 But West Mids is higher.

I feel more and more hopeless and depressed by the whole thing. I know that most of the country is in a state of frustration and despair and it is what it is, but really? Still can't go out anywhere socially rewarding or meaningful. I worked on the front line in the early days as most FT members will know and that was tough but now, after retiring, I'm finding being socially isolated a lot tougher. I worked as a paramedic which gave me a sense of being needed and just "being". Now, not so much. 

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

I think you're using a false definition because that's perfectly valid use.  I'm assuming you think pandemic means "global epidemic" which isn't quite accurate, it's an epidemic that's crossed borders.  I'm not sure how many countries an illness needs to hit before it gains pandemic status but it doesn't need to be worldwide, so when one is worldwide it's fair to specify that it's global.  

WHO Definition

"A pandemic is the worldwide spread of a new disease."

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

I have to say, I'm disappointed that we're in Hinckley and we come under West Mids level 3. Our own IR is 1.0 But West Mids is higher.

I feel more and more hopeless and depressed by the whole thing. I know that most of the country is in a state of frustration and despair and it is what it is, but really? Still can't go out anywhere socially rewarding or meaningful. I worked on the front line in the early days as most FT members will know and that was tough but now, after retiring, I'm finding being socially isolated a lot tougher. I worked as a paramedic which gave me a sense of being needed and just "being". Now, not so much. 

You ain't the only one, many of us feel like we don't have anything to do with our lives at the minute. The end to this feels just as far away as it did at the start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Why would we have a lockdown if rules are complied with?

I understand the original post here was a typo but one could question why we are having continual lockdowns when the rules are followed by the vast majority?

Surely the effectiveness of lockdown itself has to be brought into consideration?

You can't just go around blaming people.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I understand the original post here was a typo but one could question why we are having continual lockdowns when the rules are followed by the vast majority?

Surely the effectiveness of lockdown itself has to be brought into consideration?

You can't just go around blaming people.

Yep.

Tier 2 before lockdown then come out of lockdown in tier 3.

Lockdowns don't work.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Otis said:

Yep.

Lockdowns don't work.

Indeed.

They're effective at destroying businesses and jobs though.  

Problem is they're so far down the line with this course of thinking, there's no chance they'll back out of it now.  We're in this mess until April when seasonality changes course for the better.

Of course, they'll spin it in such a way to make out the lockdown/tiered system, whatever you want to call it, has worked.

Edited by Legend_in_blue

43 minutes ago, Otis said:

Yep.

Lockdowns don't work.

19 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Indeed.

Problem is they're so far down the line with this course of thinking, there's no chance they'll back out of it now.  We're in this mess until April when seasonality changes course for the better.

Of course, they'll spin it in such a way to make out the lockdown/tiered system, whatever you want to call it, has worked.

Can either of you suggest a strategy that does ? 

• Like 3

On 23/11/2020 at 19:25, UniFox21 said:

Peston asking for a guess at when we'll have "normal" life is poor journalism. Purely drawing a date out of them to then lambast them should it not be hit.

Stupid question, a better question if they criticise would have been something like "given parts of the country have not been out of lockdown since March, does that perhaps indicate a failed strategy for those areas?"

Putting a date on end of covid is unreasonable.

• Like 1

On 23/11/2020 at 20:09, FLAN said:

My experience is very different. I took my daughter to school last Friday where they ask parents to wear a mask on site. Quick count in playground 4 adults out of 16 wearing a mask. And some of those not wearing one standing together chatting. This lack of willingness to do their bit is why we are in such a mess. I also see it a lot in the local ASDA. Probably 1/5 not wearing a mask. All ages, all races. Just selfish ****ers all round. 
if those parents can’t show their kids how to behave for the good of society by wearing a mask for 10 mins I dread to think how they bring them up in general

will also add my eldest daughter has not been adhering to the guidance on a regular basis which has caused a lot of friction between us. 

I dont disagree that some people are been silly, but there is no proof its more rampant in Leicester than anywhere else, cases are not proof of that.

The argument of parents wearing masks at a school is kind of drowned out by the fact schools are even open at all as well.  I think the non compliers are a combination for those "its just flu bro" and those who have become detached as they think the rules are senseless. 

Boris needs to go on air and instead of pretending schools are not a problem, should give those of us who are asking questions about this an explanation as to why he thinks schools come before public health safety and they are more important than causing misery for millions of people, he owes the public that.  Its also not the case of why he kept schools open, but he has refused to act on any scientific recommendations and even tried to modify the schooling system, to be covid safe.  He has refused to even make modest adjustments.

We will never get a safety first from the government, so the only way out this mess is the vaccine, but its still an unknown if they going to vaccinate everyone or not.  I wouldnt put it past boris to only bother with the most vulnerable.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Indeed.

Totally true, they are blinded by the one way of thinking, that they won't even consider someone elses opinion or different options.

This government is finished, come the next election everyone will remember how they destroyed live & businesses.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I see Vallance did his best to attribute the slowing down of cases to the latest lockdown and tiered system from back in Oct at today's conference.  This is where it's all heading.  They're determined to roll out this mass testing and vaccination programme come March when they believe they'll have the figures and data to back that up.  The way they're using the data to drive this is worrying.

Seriously, someone should hold him to account for his modelling of 4000.  Outrageous and scaremongering.

Edited by Legend_in_blue
  • Like 2

On 24/11/2020 at 14:10, Stevosevic said:

lol the people of Leicester really haven't listened since this pandemic started have they 

Opinion not fact.

I will accept your statement as fact if you can provide proof behaviour in Leicester is substantially different to other areas (outside of needs), high case counts is not proof for reference.